DILLIGAF?: Project Ratty

• While grinding the rust away from what you can see is grand remember that its rusting away from the other side of the metal, wirebrush it back on either side if the metal is still good, prime it and waxoyl it from the underside afterwards, if the metal is eaten though then get a patch welded in I suppose.

Don't just waxoyl onto the rust 'cos that'll just trap moisture in and it'll keep rusting away.

• If its rusting from outside in, then its gonna need replacing as it would have rusted right through, I still think its surface rust from inside, so if he grinds back to shiny metal, it shows that its not from outside, it should sustain corrosion if treated properly afterwards, waxoil is generally used for rust prevention in inner skin areas like doors, sills etc IMO

• I don't know how it could be rusting from the inside out though, if there was any dampness inside the car you would be able to tell and without moisture there would be no rust.

My money is on it going from the outside in. Either way, it's better gone! :)

• I got a bit of surface rust in the back of mine, i think it come from inside the car as the huge back windows is like a greenhouse for condesation. Wire brush off and treat :)

• Slightly off topic…how does the motor handle now you've stripped the rear seats out? I've done the same thing, and despite lowering it it's still tail happy in the wet.

Excellent project though, well done mate!

• @2e83c60fca=kp81:

Slightly off topic…how does the motor handle now you've stripped the rear seats out? I've done the same thing, and despite lowering it it's still tail happy in the wet.

When stripped it will always be tail happy, think of the weight distribution now, i'd say around 70/30 or more back it nothing but bare metal font has a big engine in.

• @3a85303f48=kp81:

Slightly off topic…how does the motor handle now you've stripped the rear seats out? I've done the same thing, and despite lowering it it's still tail happy in the wet.

Like Barry said, it is a little tail happy (although I've not had chance to test it properly) it seems to glide around round abouts better though. I'm not leaving the seats out though, I just wanted to give the inside of the car a really good clean out and now I've found the rust I've got to sort that out.

I think the rust is internal, it does look worse than it actually is, my seals are f**ked and in the winter the car steams up ridiculously, especially in the rear.

• I've been off work today and went on a search for a V6 front splitter to add to the front end along with the Leon splitter, once again came up with nothing so came home and took some inspiration from the 206 interior.

I took the centre console apart and ended up doing this:

It was just a test to see if I liked it and I'm quite happy with how it looks….. Despite prepping the plastics thoroughly, the paint has not gone on too well in places so I'll have to re do it again at some point.

• looks good to me

• @ea0fd00d57=james:

looks good to me

Just need to get rid of the minging mark on the panel below the head unit where someone has glued something on it :roll:

Cup holder tray here I come :lol:

• @d96dcd7016=nightstalker:

I've been off work today and went on a search for a V6 front splitter to add to the front end along with the Leon splitter, once again came up with nothing so came home and took some inspiration from the 206 interior.

My splitter will be coming off in the near future, want first dibs? I don't know exactly how long it'll be on the car. But should be off within the next month or 2 and replaced with my JDM lip.

• @620b77dda2=Ryan:

@620b77dda2=nightstalker:

I've been off work today and went on a search for a V6 front splitter to add to the front end along with the Leon splitter, once again came up with nothing so came home and took some inspiration from the 206 interior.

My splitter will be coming off in the near future, want first dibs? I don't know exactly how long it'll be on the car. But should be off within the next month or 2 and replaced with my JDM lip.

Dibs on that please bud and it's black so that's perfect. How much posted please? :D

• Theres a few scuffs in one side of it though so I'd say it'd need a lick of paint ideally!

I'll have to check how much postage is. I'll PM you when I know! :)

• @80bac81103=Ryan:

Theres a few scuffs in one side of it though so I'd say it'd need a lick of paint ideally!

I'll have to check how much postage is. I'll PM you when I know! :)

Sir you are a star. I'm not bothered by a few scuffs really. As you said, I'll be giving a fresh lick of paint and also the Leon splitter too to match. A fine mix for a lower front end look :)

• New Plates :D

and if you're wondering what it says at the bottom:

• thay look so cool i want some lol

• @e22dfa939c=jay:

thay look so cool i want some lol

Cheers fella try www.no1showplates.co.uk

• Another day off work another bit of boredom and more paint (and beer in the sun :D).

Now I'm thinking of following suit with the bonnet and spraying that matt black (would cover all the scratches anyway!).

• Nice! Looks well.

One thing to think about is that my mate has a custom matt black Vespa, somehow some petrol got spilt on it and it bolloxed the finish, so if you do the bonnet matt just make sure petrol doesn't end up getting onto it. Matt is easy to touch up though all the same.

• @f61b71e23e=Ryan:

Nice! Looks well.

One thing to think about is that my mate has a custom matt black Vespa, somehow some petrol got spilt on it and it bolloxed the finish, so if you do the bonnet matt just make sure petrol doesn't end up getting onto it. Matt is easy to touch up though all the same.

Funny you should say this Ryan…........

One question…... How would I get petrol on the front end of my car or my spoiler (unless I was drunk of course-but then I shouldn't be driving ;) )?

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB