Project: Gray Death.

• Looking good progress mate. What's the cut out in the bumper for?.
    You need to get that ze in and running otherwise your loose interest in the project with winter looming.
    Be sad to see another failed project on the forum.

• Rear fog light bud, so it's flush with the bumper.

ZE is awaiting parts, but will be up and running within the next 4-5 weeks.

Doing the AC pump & drive shafts this weekend as well as picking up a Toyota Celica that i've been given for nothing :)

• So much for 4-5 weeks.

• Whats the hold up mate?

• Coolant, Vacuum and electrical connectors.

Nothing was labeled when things we're removed, and with mix and matching parts.. I'm trying to work out what goes where.

It's not working out so well…

Example, noticed today that I have two EGR valves attached... :shock:

• Always nice to see new parts on a car :mrgreen:

Whats the project under cover? Looks like a nice rear silencer on it :)

• At the moment, it's free to a good home. not sure what year the klze it's. but this plug and play swap is complete bollocks.

What I know I have to do so far:

1 - Splice in two 02 sensors into the engine loom.
    2 - Splice in a solenoid connector for the Purge Valve.
    3 - Rewire the Rad fan connector.
    4 - Find out why fuel leaks from the air intake and EGR solenoid.
    5 - Work out why I have two EGR's (Fixed)
    6 - Work out why I have two charcoal canisters and find out where the second one goes.
    7 - Find out why the drivers side Drive shaft has nothing to lock it in place.. as far as I can tell it's just pushed in.
    8 - Everything else I can't think of right now.

So far.

I don't have.

1 - Any thing on the loom that's for the front or rear downpipe sensors.
    2 - Conflicting information on how the coolant hoses route.
    3 - Conflicting information on how the Vacuum system should be routed.
    4 - Missing nipples on the inlet.
    5 - Extra Loom snap connectors.

Lets kick this off.

Vacuum system for the Inlet.

Point A: Doesn't exist. (Both of them) (Orange and Blue)
    Point B: is shown to NOT go to the Purge Solenoid Valve in EVERY image of a K series engine I seen.

Nope, it's clear it doesn't go there…

Ok, so, front rocker cover pipe, connects to the rear rocker cover pipe and the other section of the 'T' connectors goes….. Nowhere apparently.

Assuming that big round thing is the charcoal canister (since i have two of them, one about 1/6 of the size of the one in the image.. and both with the same amount of pipes….)

Then what you can see is the Purge Solenoid resting on top of it… but no loom connector that fits into it.. (it normally connects to the firewall here:

Bottom of the TB is in the top right:
    So the downwards pointing nipple goes back into where the thermostat is..
    And the nipple the other side goes into this one

Extra shit:
    I have a brake booster nipple… that's going nowhere. (Point C)

As I don't have an EGR.. Lets have some fun with the Vacuum system.

Where does the air cleaner pipe (Gray in image) come from now? - If I leave that bottom solenoid on, then the solenoid has two pipes connected to it, only one of which no goes to something. (since the other one goes to the EGR Valve.

Good news is that, with all these issues.. I've been looking at another car, so with a little luck, I can say bollocks to it, sell the parts and move on.

MX3 engine swaps are far from 'plug and play' more like plug and 'pray'.

• So what are your questions ?

The top vent @ front valve cover connects right to the top of the intake, back of the TB.

In your picture with the T-section.
    1 side connects to the front valve cover, connection near radiator.
    1 side connects to the rear valve cover, above the power steering pump etc.
    Than, where it connects to the T, the last side will usually go to your intake (emissions, reburning oil vapours etc).

Your charcol canister should be only 1. The big one.
    1 side connects to the solenoid at your firewall (you marked as E), the other side I forget right now.

At the bottem of your TB there are 2 small hoses. These are coolant hoses. 1 connects to your rear head. The other one connects to the housing of the thermostat.

Last picture.
    Point C is for your brake booster
    Point B is for the top of your front valve cover
    Point A comes from your rear valve cover, it's just a pipe that runs around the head.

• @6f604d55ee=whitefinish:

The top vent @ front valve cover connects right to the top of the intake, back of the TB.

Sorted.

@6f604d55ee=whitefinish:

In your picture with the T-section.
    1 side connects to the front valve cover, connection near radiator.
    1 side connects to the rear valve cover, above the power steering pump etc.
    Than, where it connects to the T, the last side will usually go to your intake (emissions, reburning oil vapours etc).

This is missing since it's an aftermerket intake… Do I just seal it shut, or just let it vent into open air?

@6f604d55ee=whitefinish:

Your charcol canister should be only 1. The big one.
    1 side connects to the solenoid at your firewall (you marked as E), the other side I forget right now.

Ok, so that's the CCanister, I'll post an image tomorrow of the other one I have. as it's that one that was connected to that solenoid, not the large one.

• I wouldn't like to be where you are at mo! I'd have no hair left….....! :shock:

You say you have 2 EGR valves????? :? Do you mean valves or solenoids?. But then you say "As I don't have an EGR.. Lets have some fun" ??? confused.com!

The K8 has two solenoids, one with a blue dot on it and one with a red dot.
    They are joined together with a link pipe and they share a 'VENT'.
    The K8 has only 1 EGR valve whose operation is controlled by these 2 solenoids.

I'm assuming the KLZE is similar?

If a solenoid has three unions (Take offs) usually one of them is a VENT, These VENTS can be open to atmosphere? but you run the risk of them sucking in dirt and debris and becoming defective! they are normally all joined together with a common pipe which enters the air cleaner box supplying filtered VENT air to the vacuum system.

That's where the 'gray' one in your diagram goes?

Your purge valve pipe needs a small union drilling into the induction manifold AFTER the Throttle body as it appears the KLZE is without this take off?

Fuel in your air intake and EGR solenoid?????.... sounds like the diaphragm in your fuel pressure regulator has failed????

I think you have everything you need to get this project running? the problem is, everything that was disconnected from K8 should have been labelled properly and likewise with the KLZE!!!! :( :( :(

I'ts very difficult to give 'direction' without the engine bay being in front of you, while giving it!

It would be a shame not to carry on with this and get to the end as I've heard the KLZE is a 'HOOT' of a conversion!!! :D

kev b.

• I think I've looked at this for two long, blackmex. I'm sure the answer is simple, but you know what's it's like when you keep looking at it, you just can't see it.

EGR:
    Just to clear it up. I have one EGR on the block & one on the inlet.
    The one on the block, I've got a blanking plate being delivered from the states to use so I can remove it.
    The one on the inlet, is staying and will be bypassed (Thou I do have to extend the loom connector for it)

The one thing I just don't 'get' is the amount of loom I'm missing but meh, I might just pack it up for the Winter and say balls to it.

• Perfect example above:

Take a look at the pipes I've highlighted in red.

The pipe off the top of the front rocker isn't running to the nipple on the top of the TB, and the downwards nipple off the bottom of the TB is running to the block, not the thermostat.

Both way's I've been told are 'correct'

• Well, the T section could be connect by drilling a hole in your aftermarket intake. (or.. like a lot of people, connect it to an oil catch tank).

Front valve cover really needs to connect to the top of your intake.

Lower part of TB should be rear head + thermostat housing. I'm not sure if it mattheres what one goes where.

If those hoses are connected to somewhere else, they are in the wrong place.

• The break booster pipe is connected to here:

The 'T' I've just placed where the break booster should go for now.

It tries to fire.. but nothing yet, might be due to lack of battery and using a ford fessy to jump it.

Also, found another random pipe under the dizzy lol

• I must confess fella having only ever worked on a K8 and I've only ever viewed a running KLZE underbonnet once!….. these images look foreign to me :shock: The control systems on both seem to be very similar? but their position, wiring and plumbing are all very different :(

I would do a forum 'search' for "KLZE swaps" for example and then maybe give the author of the 'search results' original posts a 'POKE' or try sending them a PM?

Also If it's reluctant to start?.... have you done a 'fault code pull' ? it may point to an area that you've missed and further narrow down your options regarding pipework etc???

It looks and sounds like you've plowed some time and resources into this project ?? :o It would be a crying shame not to at least get it running! It would sell on better that way. :(

I'm getting a headache just looking at pics!!! :(

BOL kev b. :respect:

• come to southampton and visit your sister lori and you can go over mine in person and figure it all out and have a hot cuppa too :cheers:

• I wouldn't run the brakebooster from there, your vris can interfier with the vacuum.

You could also just use a small (air) filter on the other end of the T. I've driven like that for many years.

Where does that small pipe connect to ? The big is the coolant from radiator but the other one ?

• that T piece should run into the side of the induction kit you have there and not to the back
    that pipe on top of the TB should run to the charcoal filter at the back, dunno where it goes currently
    Is that plug not meant to go to the rear O2 sensor n the rear down pipe
    the pipe from the master cylnder has a one way valve in it make sure its the right way round or you will have no brakes
    That vacuum connector that you have the T peice connected to that connects to the little valve in the top of front rocker
    That vacuum connector is for the brake servo on left hand drive in the previous pics that is why mazda connect it to the front rocker in RHD

You can get away with a little mini moto filter on that T piece as it is meant to connect before the TB through the induction kit and all it does is recycle oil vapour back into the engine but its not necessary

• @daced73a27=whitefinish:

I wouldn't run the brakebooster from there, your vris can interfier with the vacuum.

You could also just use a small (air) filter on the other end of the T. I've driven like that for many years.

Where does that small pipe connect to ? The big is the coolant from radiator but the other one ?

The only reason I put the BB there, is that I never removed the pipe from the BB unit before the swap.. I'll move it over on the weekend to the right place.

Will pick up a Minimoto air filter and add it on to the T section.

The small pipe.. no idea, only found it when I removed the dizzy :confused:

@daced73a27=djmarcopolo:

1 - that T piece should run into the side of the induction kit you have there and not to the back
    2 - that pipe on top of the TB should run to the charcoal filter at the back, dunno where it goes currently
    3 - Is that plug not meant to go to the rear O2 sensor n the rear down pipe
    4 - the pipe from the master cylnder has a one way valve in it make sure its the right way round or you will have no brakes
    5 - That vacuum connector that you have the T peice connected to that connects to the little valve in the top of front rocker
    6 - That vacuum connector is for the brake servo on left hand drive in the previous pics that is why mazda connect it to the front rocker in RHD

You can get away with a little mini moto filter on that T piece as it is meant to connect before the TB through the induction kit and all it does is recycle oil vapour back into the engine but its not necessary

Yikes…

1 - Yup, just put it there to move it out the way.
    2 - That pipe connects to the small nipple that fits into the front rocker. (Take a look at the image above with the red piping)
    3 - Maybe... Mine aren't installed as of yet.
    4 - Master Cylinder?
    5 - Isn't that what you just said to attach the minimoto air filter to?
    6 - What one?

• Little one on top of throttle body goes to purge solenoid then charcoal filter
    see thin green pipe in pic

then front rocker goes to the upward vacuum pipe on inlet at rear - see black pipe

T peice should go to induction - see green pipe on mine goes to oil catch then induction

4 master cylinder / brake servo at rear with pipe to inlet

6 that connector is the one that my black pipe runs to from front rocker :)

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB