Dans KL SE project

• Can I ask why you have painted the rear bumper? If you are gonna spray it again, 'guide coat' it first.

HOW TO

1. Mask up surrounding area to bumper.
    2. Degrease/wipe clean bumper.
    3. Spray a dusting of black spray over primer/areas your'e not happy with
    (so its speckled)
    4. Rub down with wet and dry 400grit.
    5 When the black speckles have vanished (no imperfections) you have a flat surface
    6. Wash off with fresh water, dry and tack off
    7. Spray

SIMPLES!!

Don't mean to sound a know it all but its my trade and I'm only trying to help!

P.S How was the colour match?

• I painted the bumper because if you have a look on the first page all the paint was cracking and it had been hand painted. I have already resprayed it lol. turned out alot better but I tried to sand down the boot lid again and fooked it up. going to have to go sand it down AGAIN once this paint is dry and go again. that is my fault for rushing i guess….. :wink:

• oh and colour match was great. looks alot brighter than my normal paint but as close as could be really.

• all resprayed now and looking better :) just need to clear the overspray off the lights with the green side of a sponge and cut the paint in and im away. Might tart up the engine bay tonight and will see if my mechanic can weld the new back box on for me :)

• Just a quick question, all be it a biggie. Is anyone willing to help me with an engine change in the near future. I cant offer much cash but will pay what i can and offer a sofa to sleep on and all the coffee/tea you can possibly drink. the change will be taking place in a small village called st neot in cornwall although i can meet you somewhere a bit more popular etc.

• i would but its way too far away for me :wink:

• i will pay for your fuel ;)

• ok a lil update, i have sourced out an engine with 86k on the clock from a local scrappy. I will have to remove it from the ford probe but at #100 plus VAT I am pretty dam happy with that! :) I will hopefully be picking it up at the end of the month or next month sometime. everything is there except the throttle body which will be an ebay jobby. i will probably pocket the ECU as i dont want to be paying too much lol.

also i decided to take the resinator off and blank it. it sounds so much nicer without that little box on there ;)

• Thats sounds like a bargain! Is that DE rather than ZE?

• Will be a DE, make sure you get the MAF too Dan, also as much of the engine loom as possible, as you may need to lengthen some of you loom on your car when you change engines

• yeah its a DE engine, I already have a MAF from an mx6 which i bought off a member on here, I will be taking the whole lot out as I used to be a regular customer of theirs in my mondeo days. it has been sat for a while so once i have the engine out and up the yard i will probably strip it and give it a bloody good clean, do the belts and tensioners annd oil and filter change :)

• spoke to my mechanic today about my "breaking problem"
    he seemed to think (and probably is right) that the difference in tyre sizes on front and rear has thrown the abs out causing the lack of breaking power.
    as i took the fuse out after this problem started the pedal wont come back until i get some new 205-60's on the back (that part i dont understand).
    sure, i understand the tyre sizes throwing the abs out as they are spinning at different speeds, but how can that effect my break pedal when stationary…. i can literally press the pedal to the stop and its very spongy.

has anyone else experienced this and would me trying some new tyres on the back be worth a shot.

• Have you lost any fluid? I'd be checking all hoses and bleeding all round. Even when my abs motor died it wasn't a spongy mess.

I run 50 fronts and 55 rear with no abs problems so far. Iirc stock size is 205 55 15.

You get some weird problems Dan!

• your telling me mate, this car is extremely problematic. No fluid loss, thats the first thing i checked.
    yeah stock is 205-55-15 but i could only get 60's part worn as 55's are a rarer size. is it possible because i am running bigger tyres on the front rather than the rear?
    the mechanic said he had seen this before on abs cars (not the mechanic that wont do the engine swap, another one) and correct tyres will sort it out. its a bit beyond me but am willing to try.

• Spongy pedal is almost certainly air in the system or one of the rubber hoses is 'ballooning' when you apply force on the pedal.

Does the pedal sink to the floor quite easily with the engine running? This could indicate the master cylinder not holding pressure.

Worth seeing if your mechanic can carry out a brake system pressure test?

• yes it is only when the engine is on. when off i can build up pressure so much that i cant press the pedal down very far which is normal.
    while started, if i press with a fair amount of pressure on the pedal it will sink to the floor.
    obviously due to the problems i have been having, i have removed the abs fuse under the bonnet for safety reasons. tried a break test yesterday and the fronts locked up with pedal pushed fairly hard but felt like the back brakes were doing nothing at all, i slid to a stop on the front brakes only

• ok wierdly new tyres seem to have fixed the problem but it looks like, coincidently, i have a sticky caliper on the n/s rear. which kind of baffles me as it still breaks straight and true but the disk isnt wearing down, could just be from the lack of rear breaks when the problem occoured but the o/s rear disk was as clean as a whistle. so all done for a mo, and now to sort out that bloody hesitating problem :)

• I dunno why but if u cleaned the rear inner arch and sticker bombed that I think that would look ace lol random thought!

But it is a nice looking 3 u have there

• haha my misses wanst me to sticker bomb the filler cap only lol. it actually looks better with the bigger tyres on there as it fills it out more. gives it an old school look. (or old skool, im not up with all the lingo these days pmsl)

• Haha, gotta agree with Dave on that one, that'd look great!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB