Sam's Proper MX-3 - LT Turbo project *Parting out*

• :respect: OMg that shape and that colour, oh that wide ass too! Proper love that :D Shame to hear about that surface problem, that's a new one on me what with it weepin an 'all!

Great photos too man, that must be such an experience to drive that on the road..

• Cheers fella :)

Yes its an experience alright! certainly not a GT, Its unbelievably noisey, hot in summer, the steering wheel is biased to right , while pedals are more towards left so the sensation of forward motion at a jointy angle takes some getting used to :( as does the LACK of visibility while doing anything other than travelling foward :shock: wheelbase is only 9" longer than an old mini! which makes motorway driving….. Intense!!!!
    Twin cam produces 130bhp at 5550rpm and peak torque of 140lbs ft at a low 2750rpm so a pretty good road car...... IN DRY!...... if its wet? with low down torque,wooden brakes when cold, bit like a 900kg ice hockey puck!!!!! :shock:

Dispite all its faults, on a dry, swoopy, twisty, clear 'B' road with every grain of tarmac felt through 'go kart' like steering, gearbox whine, exhaust crackle and zero body roll.......... legendary 8)

Wish I had the time and money to run her again, but work is DIRE at mo so she might sleep for another year? unless things change! :( kev b.

• Mother of god, that's a nice ride….

Respect.

• Definately!

Had to stump up another £57 to get my clutch out of customs & delivered to me, so here it is now! ON the dining room table,lol

Stage 2 Racing clutch good enough for 220 lb/ft of torques, but with all the manners of a road clutch

Having a real difficult time deciding exactly which wheel colour, as metallic grey has been thrown out there as being a bit more modest and understated then Gold, although I do love the Gold as brings some colour into the mix I feel grey might be more me and
    in keeping with the nature of the mx3?! (plus I don't how I would feel driving a red car with gold wheels, maybe too flash,lol)

• They're awfully nice too :D…......but!........Gold, gold always believing your so cold,(cool)...youve got the power to know....... your indestructable....do them GOLD..... GOLD! der der der da der... :rimshot:

Your CALL dude :lol: ? the 'greys' will look good and purposeful weather mucky or clean :D the 'golds' will only look their blingy best when clean and hence probably more attractive to the theiving underworld of this country :(

Do em grey primer, run em for a while, then do em gold later?......or.... do one side grey, the other gold :shock: no one wll see both sides at same time and theyll think youv'e got ^ TWO sets of the same wheel :rofl: sorted!

Pretty sure youll be... :D and we'll be... :mrgreen: either way?

• Colour chosen, and it's none of the above haha.

• E-Tech Championship White ftmfw :D

• Oh yeah!! theyre loads more discreet than gold arn't they????? :rofl:

And I thought you were going for 'body colour red' when you said "none of the above" :shock:

Now they really do bring back memories of my white REVO's.

Superb finish and look Mr Fox :P :respect:

Pics of em on car need posting ASAP!

kev b.

• Thanks Kev, I know not very subtle but I think it will look really fresh
    and clean with the red. Have to say really impressed with the E-tech paint! I have a nice plan now too for the centre caps to create some nice interest on them so the middle of the wheel wont look too thick?! Involves a good 'ol more bit of machining, but Im willing to give it a go :D
    With 2 wheels painted I needed a break from the fumes and to be outside in this glorious weather decided to revisit and old mod I had planned with these 323 rear spats modded to fit the front. Happy I decided to do so as I got one side pretty much mounted :D Albeit a dent in the Sill putting paid to a nice smooth line and have nowhere to bolt down the tip end to (Maybe some velcro and/or trim tape needed?!)
    Had to do alot of cutting to get these up and fitted right, will do a how to guide somewhen but you basically just end up with an L shape spat.

Bodged on there a good 'un and badly painted, but hey fuck it they fit!

• The suspense is too much to bare! :(
    Those reversed 323 spats really suite your low stance, they look like theyve been squashed and dragged back by speed!

Real shame about the 'dink' in the sill :shock: If ya take off the upper sill kick plate (Black plastic thing) could you get a rounded wooden dowel to the back of the dent and try to knock it out or at least flush with the spat…. kind of..???

Yes best thing for attatching the spat at its thin end is 'rigid velcro' (as per mx3 rears) think 3M do it? the clamping force is so strong on the stuff, its often the adhesive that gives way when you try and separate two parts? Mind I think most mazda body mouldings are made of PP or polypropelene which is notoriously difficult to adhere owt to :x
    'Sikaflex' 90 is an excellent adhesive but expensive and a v short shelf life once opened :( (about £30 a tube?).

What rubber are you putting on the precious'es :D

• Great analogy man, I think they flow well with the splitter and rear spats. Cheers will try getting that dent out as it is annoying me! Velcro ftw then
    thanks for the rigid tip :oops: Got a few tubes of gone off sikaflex in the garage which I should really throw away lol

Wider shot.

Rubberwise I like the Eagle F1's alot, but might not be able to afford them this time around! So could be the Falkens or Hankook Ventus.

• 'Gone off' sikaflex, if cut with a v sharp knife can make some interesting bump stops, mallet heads and tips, motor isolators (vibration) etc (just be carefull cutting the tube open!!!!) Its life/usefullness isnt over yet :)

Bod almighty! still amazes me how fookin low! :respect:

• Nice tip again kev will bear that one in mind ta, infact I know exactly where I can use it!

For the new wheel photos I so want to take it down to a virtually undriveable
    -125mm just for a shoot or two then raise it stright back up again before the frame rails grind away to nowt..That's if I could actually get it out the drive hahaha

• While waiting for more wheel paint to arrive Sam's cardboard creations come to life!…

Will try for aluminium if not got some abs I might be able to shape

• Visible and yet subtle at the same time…... I likey... Tinted black perspex.... short run manufacturer.... Ill take one please :D
    kev b.

• Think it will work on mine body coloured.. Like ya style though. Man wishes He had Injection molding machine. Cheapest of the shelf visor I found was off a Pug 206> £35 deliverd in black, never did the measurements but worth a punt for pos. hack job?!

• What about a heat gun and some flat ABS?

I like where you are going with this. Something I have wanted to do for a long time as well.

• Yeah I think that will be worth a try Josh if the alu. fails. Will have a gander at some tutorials or something later. Only recently discovered the love for the hatch shade after looking at the miata hard top ones.

Been busy again this afternoon doing some ghetto spraying! How to avoid some of the wind…

Please don't flame me Gulfy
    :D Got to better then crusty old black Polyurethane??!!

• What am I looking at?

(Take this in a good way as I can't tell what's been sprayed)

• Haha maybe that's a good thing then, sorry didn't actually say the rear lip.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB