Marco's Black Beast aka 'Sooty'

• Any news on the megasquirt matey

• BEFORE:

AFTER:

And that's what I've been up to whilst running this stupid k8 again :lol: …. more to follow :)

• Christ! :shock: you could eat your dinner off of it Marco! Did you do all work yourself? If so what sort of hours have gone into it, what work has been carried out? Bloody Good Job done, when is it going back in sooty??!

• hehe nice cleen aas mine waht paint you use looks shiny mine more matt

• @7dedef65a1=mx3gulf:

Christ! :shock: you could eat your dinner off of it Marco! Did you do all work yourself? If so what sort of hours have gone into it, what work has been carried out? Bloody Good Job done, when is it going back in sooty??!

Haha thanks man. Yea all myself, nothing particularly technical done this time. Here's what I did:

-replaced my broked cam with a set of kl01s
    -cleaned exhaust ports so I could see my polishing work again!
    -scrubbed the whole block with degreaser
    -powerhosed the gunk off
    -sprayed it with silver vht
    -sprayed it with engine laquer (designed to repel grease build up)
    -nitromorsed, sanded, resprayed the cam covers
    -derusted, sprayed, and regasketed the oil sump
    -replaced various coolant hoses
    -cleaned and resprayed water pipes etc.

@7dedef65a1=James:

hehe nice cleen aas mine waht paint you use looks shiny mine more matt

Yes James you were my inspiration to step it up :) It's GUNK engine laquer making it shiny. I like it.

So I'm sorta delaying putting it back in until my LSD gearbox gets sorted. I did a test run and it sounded like a horse in pain, so had to pull it out. It's up at the gearbox for review, they reckon the LSD has a manufacturing fault :( Oh well warranty should sort it.

• hi

marco ur engine looks sooo nice im now cleaning up mine, just wanted to know if you could do a write up and how long it took.. what did the paint etc set u back ? also was ur cam cover powder coated ?

cheers buddy :)

• Very nice work! :)
    Since you have had both the KL31 and KL01 cams, which of them do you prefer and how do you experience the differance?

• @617c58a3e2=unclegreg:

Very nice work! :)
    Since you have had both the KL31 and KL01 cams, which of them do you prefer and how do you experience the differance?

Pardon my ignorance, but whats the difference between the 2 cams??

• @0fbf70739b=jay1987:

hi
    marco ur engine looks sooo nice im now cleaning up mine, just wanted to know if you could do a write up and how long it took.. what did the paint etc set u back ? also was ur cam cover powder coated ?
    cheers buddy :)

Really just down to scrubbing, basically here's what I did:
    -Plug any holes. I used several plastic bags in the exhaust ports etc
    -douse it all over with degreaser (I used several spray cans from Lidl- brand of dubious quality that's cheaper)
    -Attacked it with wire brush drill attachments (various sizes)
    -Attacked with regular hand held wire brush
    -Powerhosed it (careful not to hose near any holes)
    -Dried it with an old towel
    -Painted with halfrauds VHT alu (£5.99)
    -Laquered with GUNK engine laquer (£4/5)

Cam cover's just VHT spraypaint, it loves to chip though :(

@0fbf70739b=unclegreg:

Very nice work! :)

Probably prefer kl31s for the top end, but its nice to have the grunt lower down too. I didn't have the KL01s in long last time, but this time they'll be in for a good while so I may change my mind yet!

@0fbf70739b=mx3gulf:

Pardon my ignorance, but whats the difference between the 2 cams??

KL31 higher lift than KL01, so better performance. Though both in theory make the same peak power, just KL01 make it 1 or 2k lower. KL31s suit a high revving so it doesn't choke up top.

• So what cams are in my straight neck KLZE?? When car was on the rollers, the torque reading was steady 150lb/ft peaking at 180lb/ft

• Probably KL31s if it's a proper straightneck. KL31 101/1a1 heads?

• I must be honest, I've been on here for a few months now and not really looked around at other builds. Marco, you are a fooking leg end my friend!

The car is as they say "Mint" and the engine is what I aspire to have my piddley 1.6 looking like. Awesome job mate, massive thumbs up.

I'm getting my cam cover powder coated and the inlet mani chromed next year (hopefully) been quoted £40 for it :D

• Amazing 3!

The OEM spoiler is far nicer, keep it ;)

• Nightstalker-
    Thanks alot! :D Powder coating is the way to go, my annodised paint is a pain, but I love it. Chromed inlet would be sweet too, make sure you remove casting lines first as it ruins the look!

Dubstep-
    Thanks, I still change my mind all the time with the spoilers :lol: The holes are still there from the supra wing… But the OEM is nice and stealthy

• where did you get you OEM rap around spoiler from it looks realy great.

• @d53ab285e2=Marco:

Probably KL31s if it's a proper straightneck. KL31 101/1a1 heads?

there's always the rare exception of my straight neck coming with KL01 cams… rare but still possible.

Honestly I have KL01's in one of my klze mx-3 and kl31 in the other and I think I might like the KL01's better... It's hard to tell since I have different trannies in each...

anyway sorry to hijack... lookin good as usually marco :lol:

• @fc68860464=jay:

where did you get you OEM rap around spoiler from it looks realy great.

Cheers Jay. Just off ebay, got it same time as Jspec lip which I haven't put on yet :oops:

Thanks Mooneggs. You know the kl01s have been doing me just fine too. It was a long gap between driving the two sets but really haven't noticed much.

Here's what I'm working on now :idea:

• Very nice MX! :)

Love the seats.

I want a wraparound spoiler like yours too, have the front lip already, just need to get it fitted to the car.

• mr marco that is simply showing off!! but very interested on how it turns out! keep up good work, shame your in the wrong country would love to see it somtime!

• Thanks Ryan, you should come to the NI Japfest in may in Antrim ;)

Haha cheers Garfy, so am I :lol: It's going to be a tight fit but hey s'all good fun…

And it's looking like I will be in your country for Japfest :D

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB