Update the top 10?

• @50d1d99c22=Famine:

Take nightstalker's Bert. I love Bert - he's a little bastard - but I wouldn't do anything to mine that nightstalker's done to Bert. Bert's marmite personified (errr… carified?) and I'll wager most will hate him. Hell, nightstalker hates him, but for different reasons.

Lol, you've got him utterly right there Famine fella, he reminds me of my dog, multi colured, wets himself when he's excited or scared, doesn't like going out at 6:20 am but loves to go out on nice daysand show off, he has a much bigger bark than he actually is and is very disobedient to his owner but when you look at him you see love in his eyes and feel a little sorry for him. He's a little puppy that just keeps eating my socks (bank balance).

• Damn!! I was gonna vote for mine!

• Oi! Less of 'that gold 1.6 hooker'!!!

That car bought MX3's a lot of attention back in the day!!

Good to see the ol' girls still getting passed about! ;)

• :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry bud :)

• @ef522519d6=Garfy1981:

but there are always mx-3s out there that you admire, hell i love marcos and gulfs mx-3s and wish i had gulfs paint work and marcos engineering.
    Theres more too, mooneggs track slag loads more. Its only others that continue to work on theirs and inspire me to pull my finger out and to do some work to mine. :wink:

**I agree - I have no idea who half the people on here are, nor what their cars look like. I know there's a guy with all of the Equipes ever made, there's that Gulf one (which rocks), nightstalker and Bert… err... that sinus-fluid one that apparently has been passed around like Madeleine McCann at a Portuguese Nonce's Anonymous meeting...

Hang on, there's some more... There's a red one... Errr... a red one?

Bluntly, even mine are pretty anonymous and I don't think a top ten vote will change that - in fact I'll wager that the top ten will be largely from the core members who've interacted off the site and, where they aren't, they'll be ZEs. I'd bet that you could predict all ten - though not necessarily in the right order - right now. I couldn't, since I only know four of them to recognise them at first glance :lol:

What would be better for the site isn't a one-off vote, or even the badly underused garage section as it is. It'd be a profile field containing your car(s).

Couple of examples for you:
    Pistonheads member profile | Pistonheads member "My Garage" section
    EcoModder thread - cars linked below avatars | EcoModder car profile

EcoModder's way of doing it is nearly ideal (they could do with with having the cars within the user's profile page too), but to be utterly blunt it'd need investment in the site - phpBB is free for a reason and vBulletin is not free for a reason. But it's borderline necessary for the community.

I have no idea who the people at PH and EM are that I've picked. Twas random*

• The problem with voting is that it never works when theres so many variables, and with cars you have variables and then sub variables and then more sub variables, each one appealing to everyone differently.

Personal tastes should be left aside, so not what you would or wouldnt like, but whether you think it works in the way it has been done. For example, adding a 12" subwoofer bass bin, isnt a mod, its just a box with a speaker in it that someone else built in a factory and you threw in the boot, its no more of a mod than changing your wiper blades from Valeo to Bosch or you plugs from Denso to NGK, however a custom made install with a 12" sub right at the heart of a fibreglass lined boot install is praise worthy, whether youd do it yourself or not, the individual has taken the time and expense to create something they wanted and done a good job, in the same sense you wouldnt rate a car that had 40 speakers duct taped onto it well at all, but if the time was taken to do it properly then its a plus.

Works of art are appreciated by different people in a wide variety of ways, some may not like it or understand its message while others will think its brilliant, but its still art regardless of whether its the Mona Lisa or a childs sketch of a rocket ship, I could draw a rocket ship in 10seconds, and itd be crap, but if your own child drew an equally crap rocket ship youd think it was brilliant, just because they tried and did the best they could, where as I hadnt. How you appreciate it is all subjective to the individual, just as different paint colours on the same vehicle make a complete difference in opinion. I like white cars, but I wouldnt buy one cos they look mucky after 2 miles and the paint always goes bad, but I still like it, and thats why those opinions shouldnt be factored in, what should be is that its in good or bad condition and does it suit the vehicle. Thats what I think should be the important view point to being the best MX3. As such I think anything that isnt standard be it aftermarket or JDM, if it wasnt on that exact car in question when it first rolled out of the factory, its modified.

What Im basically saying is that cars should be rated on the effort and time involved in making them the way they are, not whether you would do it or would want it. Credit should be given to those that have done that, for that reason Ill never be anywhere near the top, since I dont intend on doing a great deal to my car, I like it the way it is, I didnt buy it so I could turn it into something else, so my car will always be better than any of yours and vice versa, but it shouldnt effect the fact that someone else has tried more, I dont like JDM, at all, but I have to hand it to Dj, hes spend months buying and selling cars, just to get the parts he wanted from them, and so for me, his car is the best, even though I personally dont like it (no offense)

• You also have the option of rather than points, have fixed terms over two criteria.

Does it enhance the car?
    Would you want it?

Both requiring only a yes/no answer, since points are all too messy.

Like Famine said, hes got the highest rated ICE install when all it is really is a double din cd and cassette player. Why is that so highly rated when Dj has what can only really be matched to a rolling studio crammed into his car, yet he isnt highest. Doesnt make much sense. Is that down to people missing Dj's garage or favouritism towards Famine? Who knows, who even cares, all that it shows it that the system doesnt work.

Or you could spread it out like it is in the garage, taking the numbers from each category to determine the best, sectioned by Class, JDM, Custom, Original, Track and Retro, that gives everyone an opportunity to compete, with retro being a reinvented modernised version of the car, where the car stays the same shape, but is as if it had been invented today by Mr Mazda, and the practicality of it has not suffered, that would be stuff like HID conversions, or fitting better speakers into the current locations and still being able to put the grills back on, keeping it looking to all intents and purposes standard.

• @40fb239f67=Jesta:

favouritism towards Famine

**:lol: I doubt that! No bugger would know who I was if I didn't type in blue or if they hadn't met me - and I've met three people off here, not including Venari who I dragged here with me.

However, by the same token, I can't abide huge ICE installs. Cars are shocking places to listen to music properly and dynamat can only do so much. Which means you either go for something simple that just allows you to listen to your music on a long journey (which I have) or VOLUME which I can't stand either. Besides, the V6 sounds just fine on its own :D**

• Totally agree, I have a headset thats from about 1996, its a Kenwood KDC-6060r, it plays CD's well enough and plenty loud enough through my standard issue speakers. Though I will be upgrading as it skips when I go over cats eyes and also has several seconds delay before it can find the next track, Ill also be adding in some new speakers that are rated slightly above the head unit output, not cos I need to, just because I want more clarity, so Im going for polypropylene or something similarly hard rather than paper pulp. For me, clarity wins over volume, if I want super loud, I just turn on my computer, and put my head phones on, I can blow my eardrums out without bothering anyone else.

No one knows who I am either, though I think Lori and Dj are begining to become aware of me due to the amount of PM's I send them asking them about stuff :D I might start righting stuff in rainbow colours too

• @60cb3db039=Jesta:

What Im basically saying is that cars should be rated on the effort and time involved in making them the way they are, not whether you would do it or would want it.

You're shirley not suggesting we vote for cars not based on whether we like them or not, but on how much work went into them?

That godawful automatic gold thing on eBay must surely be the best MX-3 by far by your reckoning then, loads of work put into it.

• Im not a huge fan of it, but it deserves its recognition, and most people have praise for it aswell, its just become a bit of a tramp car now as its always up for sale.

If it wasnt gold youd like it alot more, so what do you propose, since we all have completely different concepts and opinions? No one car will ever be the best if you factor in everyones personal tastes, because there will always be people who dont agree that XXX's car is the best, in which case, it wont be the best because it isnt unanimously recognised as the best, which leads to there never been a 'best car' just applicants.

Im not a tower enthusiast but you have to appreciate the Eiffel Tower for its engineering and time in design and development, yet its just a completely useless tower, if someone went and built a straight up tower made from just concrete and a ladder right next to the eiffel tower you wouldnt be impressed at all and just think that it was pointless. Theres a reason people pay alot of money for hand crafted items even though the same item could be bought for a fraction of the price from a mass produced batch made in china. Workmanship.

But before you get your knickers in a twist even further, that car is no longer owned by a UK-MX3 member, and anyone who now buys it wont have done the work themselves, so it forfeits its right to be given merit. However the fact that it once was #1 on this forum clearly shows that your expectations of your peers are wrong. Just because everyone else is currently hating on it doesnt mean you have to aswell, are all your opinions based on what other people say?

• Well no, I just don't like the car. Paint it whatever colour you wish, it's just not a car I like.

Also, no car will ever be the best if you vote your way either, some people will appriciate the work gone into Marco's supercharged beast while others will appriciate the work gone into say, that gold thing. Of course, both have had lots of work done, but it would be rather silly to try argue that one has had more work done on it than the other, therefore it's the better car and should be higher placed in the Top 10.

@f2cca7ea1d=Jesta:

But before you get your knickers in a twist even further, that car is no longer owned by a UK-MX3 member, and anyone who now buys it wont have done the work themselves, so it forfeits its right to be given merit.

Ah yes, only cars which had loads of work done to them by the current owner are eligible to be entered into a Top 10 list of MX-3's, once said owner sells a car does it lose it's place on the list?

Not trying to be argumentative or anything dude, but doing it any other way than the car we like the most is going to a tad awkward, IMO anyway.

• @503dc87746=Jesta:

However the fact that it once was #1 on this forum clearly shows that your expectations of your peers are wrong. Just because everyone else is currently hating on it doesnt mean you have to aswell, are all your opinions based on what other people say?

Missed this edited bit…

Expectations of my peers.... :? Huh? I just really don't like the car. Is that too hard to figure out?

But yes, all my opinions are based on what other people say. It's not just that I don't like the car or anything. :roll:

• Over on another car forum every year we done TS car of the year…

We all posted a max of 3 pics of our car, a small bit about it and let everyone vote!

It was literally a case of most votes wins, it didnt matter if everyone agreed or not!

Let the people decide! Surely you could just put 'The top 5 voted cars'?

Either that... or just dont have the page?

• Either way, or whatever way I don't mind, one thing me, myself, I and my OCD can't stand is to see old data still shown as current or at least, not updated to say it's old data.

I've heard that the UK-MX3 domain is being xfered into new hands and the new admin I hope doesn't just keep it ticking over, that's my angle, that's my goal.

RS, I can see the amount of love and work gone into your car, I dislike it myself but I can understand the hours you must have put in to get it looking like that, but I can see teh same with Nightcrawler even if his car is being a bitch.

You don't have to find the car you vote for worthy enough to get your rocks off over ^-x nor do you have to want to drive it yourself.

• @ab3360642b=Jesta:

Just because everyone else is currently hating on it doesnt mean you have to aswell

I hated it first. Everyone else is just copying me.

• I still think it is one of the best kitted mx3s out there. Not everything about it appeals to me, but it was done with a certain finesse. It was the engine dissappointed me the most about it.

I'm inclinded to agree that the chart, if made, should represent the active cars of uk-mx3. Cars that people can join up, and see the worklogs are still active. Unless there's a car of ukmx3 past with wilkos, tommy Ds and rsroadkillas etc?! I think I'd rather see a showcase of various types of mx3 than a 123 chart. Really though almost anything fresh would be an improvement.

• **Okay. A way to do this without bias.

The top ten cars are to be drawn from ten categories. Each car can only be entered in one category and it's the owner's decision into which category their car goes. Each category goes to a vote and the winners form the top ten.

My suggested categories:
    1. Concours - for the best unmodified '3
    2. OEM - for the best '3 modified with '3-specific upgrades (they have to be OE or OE-sized parts; factory options, including JDM parts, are allowed)
    3. Show & Shine - for the cleanest '3
    4. ICE - for the most 'sound' '3
    5. Upgrade Inside - for the nicest '3 to be in, the best interior
    6. Hot '3 (road) - for the hottest, road legal, modified '3. Performance is king.
    7. Hot '3 (track) - for the '3 which rules the circuits and strips (may be road legal too)
    8. Cool '3 - for the coolest, modified '3. Style is the word.
    9. MXt3eme - the most extreme '3 around. No rules.
    10. Lucky Dip - for anything that doesn't quite fit any of the other categories.

Once we've got the 10 winners, there could be a follow-up vote of the ten against each other to determine what the best of the best is too, or we could leave it at that.**

• i don't see a problem with that bud.

• That's a pretty awesome idea actually.

To keep something like that updated we'd probably have to do the voting once a year?

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB