Polycarb Rear Window GB 2011\. + Weight reduction discussion

• @bb11553219=robx1r:

what where you using jay? dont give up! i was geuninely happy to see i got the thing out without breaking it!

i was using a stanley knife by i may get too stressed and use a big hammer lol

• when using blade use a new one and make shallow passes. the top of the window will be impossible to cut without a coldknife!

the polycarb window weighs 6.6 kg and the glass one weighs in at a whopping 17kg

• Looking good guys, anyone finished installing it yet?

I agree with garfy i'd get a pro installer form auto glass etc to fit it off the books.

As for weight saving, don't forget that UNSPRUNG WEIGHT and ROTATING MASS make the biggest difference to the performance of your car.

Unsprung:
    Ultra Lightweight alloys, tyres, air, discs, calipers, a percentage of your struts etc

Rotating Mass:
    Lightweight Flywheel, Lightened balanced crank (but think about your usage and the stored energy effects).

@cd73f391f0:

Unsprung weight includes the mass of components such as the wheel axles, wheel bearings, wheel hubs, tires, and a portion of the weight of driveshafts, springs, shock absorbers, and suspension links. Even if the vehicle's brakes are mounted outboard (i.e., within the wheel), their weight is still considered part of the unsprung weight.

@cd73f391f0:

You probably hear the term unsprung weight bantered around in suspension circles, what is it and why should I care

What is unsprung weight- well it's weight that is not supported by the springs- that's easy! Sprung weight is your chassis/transmision/engine and other assorted sundries- obvioulsy there is more sprung weight than unsprung weight.

What components comprise the unsprung weight- well we have tires/wheels/lug nuts/rotors/calipers/knuckle/hub assemblies- it also includes a portion (roughly half) the weight of the axles/control arms and struts- these latter components are partially sprung and unsprung.

Is less unsprung weight better than more- yup. Actually any loss of weight is good when it coms to accelerating/braking/cornering- loss of unsprung weight has the added advantage of improving the ability of your suspension keeping the tire to the ground (it's primary job). This is what ultimately makes a car handle well- grip!

What's the easiest way to reduce unsprung weight- well it's not replacing the axles Your wheels are probasbly the easiest place to shed unsprung weight, often tires that are equally grippy sometimes have some differences in weight, the use off aluminum in suspension arms can reduce unsprung weight, aluminum calipers can reduce unsprung weight as can two piece rotors (aluminum hats) and many aftermarket strut assemblies are lighter as well.

You can trim 10+/corner of unsprung weight w/ careful choices of parts, but as you can see you can just as easily add to unsprung weight as well.

You'll notice that many of the unsprung components are also rotational- tires/wheels rotors- having these lighter also enhances acceleration and braking- to a much higher degree than simple loss of non-rotational weight (again all weight loss is good, just some is better)

And remember after all your trying to lose weight to make your car go faster. If your car is a stock 1.8 engine i wouldn't even think about weight saving as a solution to improving performance, just go and buy a KLZE engine.

On the track its different as your trying to get rid of that annoying understeer / oversteer / body roll and balance the car so you can break less really.

• I just got mine fitted yesterday at a windscreen place. It's one job I CBA doing myself. Don't forget to get a new trim/seal, I did… So ended up using some generic stuff, looks ok, better than my OEM one that had peeled back and started flapping about :lol:

If it stops raining/sleeting/snowing I'll take a pic. No spoiler on atm. Boot shoots up like a rocket !

• nice look forward seeing the pics

• i've just been pissing round with the renault cause it let go at 22psi!
    i just have to paint the bootlid before i put it in

• There she blows!

• New pants please.

Damn that thing looks nice.

What's it like to drive now?

• looks good mate, i am probably going to put a single duvet over mine and then car cover, im paranoid at how cats use it as a hop up to the fence !!.

If you can get a finished pic over i can email it to company, you might see your mx in their catalogue for years to come !. Also think the universal seal looks mint.

Also doesn't it look miles better without a rear wiper.

• That is sexual :respect:

• wow those turned out amazing!

• Thanks, I'm happy with it, it's a good job all right. Thanks for organising it Garfy :)

I'll do a proper shoot soon then.

To drive, hard to tell yet as it's been relentlessly wet. I guess it could be likened to having a 1/4 tank VS nearly full. With it being reduction up top should lower COG too. I'm doing up a weight reduction spreadsheet at the minute. Have to get it weighed sometime on proper scales.

• Rob is parting his mx3 and rear screen ( still unfitted ) is up for sale. Pm him for details.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB