DILLIGAF?: Project Ratty

• @eef8feddfa=RustyMx3:

:twisted: The car that won't die! My worst fears came to mind when I thought the water pump had gone the other week, finding out this would mean changing the cambelt put a somewhat sudden end to the thoughts of keeping Bert going any longer (it made sense cambelt kit and water pump costing £175 before fitting and tax and with a few other things needing to be done, I knew it was in for a big bill).

But hey, all is fine. The water pump is fine, so therefore needing to change the cambelt is no longer needed either. Bert just keeps trucking along like the insane little insect he is. It's MOT time at the end of the month so I am going to get him sorted so I can get another years motoring out.

congrats mate, glad your gonna be about for another eventful year :lol:

• Thats good news, what was the problem if it was not the water pump??

• @3ed5000dea=mx3gulf:

Thats good news, what was the problem if it was not the water pump??

I don't know, I think I was being paranoid, saw some smoke come from under the bonnet and assumed the worst. It was more than likely the radiator fan wiring giving up. But a check on all the water pump pipes seems to be okay (a little worse for wear maybe- a future fix).

The smoke also could have been due to the oil from the Cam cover raining down on the manifold (problem solved using gasket sealant, which you're meant to use when replacing the old gasket-no-one told me this….).

Still got the sump to sort out and the welding of the sill and also the radiator fan.

Everything stemmed from a good chat with one of the maintenance guys at work today, he asked me if the car had given up yet and I said that it was running better than ever, he then told me that if the water pump had gone it would be making a hell of a noise, squealing and more than likely not working at all, this made me think and after work I had a good look around and listen and everything (apart from the leaky sump) was running well.

Bert lives to fight another month or so :lol:

• waterpumps usually keep going without a noise except they pump the water out of the engine and your header tank will empty on every journey

• @9f456c9dba=djmarcopolo:

waterpumps usually keep going without a noise except they pump the water out of the engine and your header tank will empty on every journey

Fluid levels are fine :)

• The stripping of anything worthwhile has begun.

And now the front looks so sh*t

That's it now, Bert is ending this week, one last journey never to be seen again. :cry:

• are you sure this is what you want. they are so rare and would be nice if someone could buy it off you to restore…..... it would have a pretty keen enthusiast to restore the paint to its original colour mind :P these things do happen i guess. i had a mondeo mk1 with full RS bodykit and i loved it. then like a twonk i booted it up hill and got to the top to find steam coming out of the bonnet and a very jerky ride. managed to bunnyhop it home to find there was no water left in it. almost everything important blew including head gasket and wierdly the starter motor. hated it but managed to sell it for bangers :( keep us informed on what you get next

• how much for the complete part that holds the battery down onto the tray :wink:

• @d58a9cd8cc=daniel:

are you sure this is what you want. they are so rare and would be nice if someone could buy it off you to restore…..... it would have a pretty keen enthusiast to restore the paint to its original colour mind :P these things do happen i guess. i had a mondeo mk1 with full RS bodykit and i loved it. then like a twonk i booted it up hill and got to the top to find steam coming out of the bonnet and a very jerky ride. managed to bunnyhop it home to find there was no water left in it. almost everything important blew including head gasket and wierdly the starter motor. hated it but managed to sell it for bangers :( keep us informed on what you get next

Yeah, it's time for this car to be laid to rest. The water pump HAS gone like I had feared, so include this to the list of things needing doing (welding, new sump, front bushes, cam belt, MOT and anything picked up in that) and I think I'd be looking at a healthy bill, probably the size of a semi decent second hand car (my estimate for the parts before the MOT was around £500-without the bushes).

It just makes sense, if I had the time and space I'd have struggled on but one thing seems to be leading to another and there comes a point where you're throwing good money away that could be put towards a new car, one that won't need any work for some time.

I'll be here to pester you all with stories of my new motor (not just the pedally bike :lol: ).

• Berts Final journey:

End of the story.

• Sob sob :cry: :cry: :cry: what scrap value did you get?

• @8e1fa5bbc5=mx3gulf:

Sob sob :cry: :cry: :cry: what scrap value did you get?

£200 without the wheels :D

• Bye Bert! uhhh shame Bro, 200 squidlys is alright though!

• :cry: :cry: :cry: what a shame i liked bert good price for the car too

• R.I.P. such a shame

• R.I.P you gentle beast!

• **£200? I hear there's a cheap SE for sale somewhere around here…

What?**

• @917a1813c6=Famine:

**£200? I hear there's a cheap SE for sale somewhere around here…

What?**

Like I've said before, never again, not in this lifetime, no.

• i think that was a dig at me and raines mate :lol:

• Curse my subtlety :D

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB