MX-3 Headlights

• Want to tint the inners of my headlights, just wondering what areas i can do inside the headlight without diminishing the brightness of it.

Also, the section that the bulb sits in is loose, this a common mx3 problem?

as i'll be splitting the headlight, is this a fixable job or a new headlight?

Cheers

• (Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but the inners on mine are loose, what can i do about them?)

ref this question on my thread mike…
    as you say you will be splitting the headlight then i suggest you will see whats wrong inside...
    remove the outer clips from the unit and warm the edge of the light lens as theres a seal , warming it will soften the seal and aid splitting the lens from the unit,, have a close inspection and if unsure take pics and post here on your thread as to help us understand the problem and we may be able to suggest a solution

• ok, thanks for that, i'm sure i'll have no prob splittling the lights.

but i'm having trouble getting the actual unit out from the car, seems to be getting caught on the bumper, whats it gonna take to get it out of there?

Nothing to drastic as its my daily driver.

• dont know if you've done it yet but the bumper has to come off. screws and clips everywhere. also ive got a spare set of headlights if the worst happens.

• I did a write up of painting these!

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64674

• hmm, looks like i'll have to spend a couple of hours on it then.

cheers for the write up on painting them! i'll have to get that done!

got some "special" bulbs going in soon too :D

• @a6f145804c=Mike:

hmm, looks like i'll have to spend a couple of hours on it then.

cheers for the write up on painting them! i'll have to get that done!

got some "special" bulbs going in soon too :D

It's a fun little mod to do if you like cutting your fingers to bits like I did but the effect is awesome. :D

I need some "special" bulbs, what are they? I wanna know….

• Hi, I covered mine in a perforated vinyl called flyeye, I paid £14 for a sheet and it did all the lights on the car
    Works well, completely MOT legal and easy to fit, just need a hairdryer / hotgun to fit, you can see them in the pic below on the green mx.

Only draw back is it collects polish if you polish your car
    I did uprate all bulbs to ultra bright Xenon + LED bulbs to compensate any loss of light

• well the "special" bulbs will be on in about 2 weeks, probably before then tbh.

will post pics of the current state of the mx too :)

• Didnt work very well on J-Spec lenses….

i melted a corner....

also, they now look very "Golden Brown", but cool :D

• @552f6b5c2e=Mike:

Didnt work very well on J-Spec lenses….

i melted a corner....

Umm, what were they, flame throwers?

• @22cdd9cf42=Mike:

i melted a corner....

oh… yeah that recipe is for glass... I thought I mentioned that in there somewhere...

• @8cb9be220b=nightstalker:

@8cb9be220b=Mike:

i melted a corner....

Umm, what were they, flame throwers?

checked it every other minute or so, but then made some curry, started eating that and forgot i left them in the oven :oops:

so about 30 mins at 150 celcius, and you get that effect. :lol:

(i know you put 10 mins at 250, but dont have alot of space in my oven, touched a side. Hence the melting.)

the point it melted is hardly noticeable anyway, just one of those things that i'll notice and will niggle me, but not to someone else, If that makes sense!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB