MX3 cheap handling upgrades???

• First of all i'd like to say hi cos am new here, just signed up with the forum. Not owned my MX3 but within 2 months i've already dropped a KLZE init :)

i'm after a bit advice on upgrades for hadling, suspension & brakes, especially brakes!!!

1.) i've seen there are a couple of coilover kits out available for the mx3 but they all seem pricey being in the £5-600 range (sos am tight) Whats the best spring / shock combo?

2.) are there any compatible OEM brake swaps? ie can you upgrade to rx7 calipers or are their any other 4 stud cars you can pilage bigger discs off?

• suspension

I got ford racing ZX2 shocks, with spings from www.mazdamxstore.co.uk

its not a straight swap, but nearly, all you need is the strut top bearings from the zx2.

mine came to about £400. which is cheaper than the kyb + springs option. but now id probably save the extra £200 and get the ksport coilovers, think they were around £600 but with the exchange rate it might be more.

• @36213714b0=jamesmx3:

suspension

I got ford racing ZX2 shocks, with spings from www.mazdamxstore.co.uk

its not a straight swap, but nearly, all you need is the strut top bearings from the zx2.

mine came to about £400. which is cheaper than the kyb + springs option. but now id probably save the extra £200 and get the ksport coilovers, think they were around £600 but with the exchange rate it might be more.

coolio, do u know if them lowering springs with adjustable sleeves from the US are any good? i was thinking about buying a set off american ebay cos a need my car as low as possible 8)

• yeh k sport coil overs are nearer 1000 now damn exchange rate but they are so worth it best opcion for handaling in my opinion

• You mean the silver and blue ones? Don't get em, go for ground control ones, look on mx-3.com for reviews of the eBay ones.

• @ae8df4bd5d=jamesmx3:

You mean the silver and blue ones? Don't get em, go for ground control ones, look on mx-3.com for reviews of the eBay ones.

yup those are the ones! take it thats why the ground control springs are more expensive than those blue ones. am considering getting some of them with some upgraded shocks to make my own cheap coilovers

• A really good set of tyres will make a huge difference to your braking, and a set of fast road pads like greenstuff.

You can also go down the Willwood route, I think Garfy's setup cost him under £1000.

I've heard good things about the Koni Red Inserts from the USA lot.

And good things about the KSPORT coilovers aswell.

• Yea people seem to like the d2/ksports. THere's also now XYZ coilovers for the MX-3. Cost £550 all in, pillowball mounts drop from stock to 120mm approx. I'm tempted…

• Got a link to the XYZ coilovers?

• @18b21db8cf=Marco:

Yea people seem to like the d2/ksports. THere's also now XYZ coilovers for the MX-3. Cost £550 all in, pillowball mounts drop from stock to 120mm approx. I'm tempted…

ooh! not bad, its a shame thers not many available for the mx3, my mate got a set of hypermaxx coilovers for his mk2 golf for £200!!! they do loads of cars but not ours :(

• XYZ:
    @6ed985c405=ukmx3admin:

Got a link to the XYZ coilovers?

This is where I found out, also has links to their site:
    http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/ai-autosport/104899-xyz-coilovers.html#post1485576

HYPERMAXX:
    @6ed985c405=PureButeMX3:

ooh! not bad, its a shame thers not many available for the mx3, my mate got a set of hypermaxx coilovers for his mk2 golf for £200!!!

for £200 I'd seriously be questioning the quality!

• Just had a look and it seems like a good kit.

Good find.

• If coilovers cosr less than £500 the general rule is they will be crap.

Seen it many times on Probe, MX6, 323F etc, cheap ones have pretty much without exception, been poor at best.

• Yeah at least you know the Ksport are up to the job.

• @e2543f7061=Marco:

@e2543f7061=ukmx3admin:

Got a link to the XYZ coilovers?

This is where I found out, also has links to their site:
    http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/ai-autosport/104899-xyz-coilovers.html#post1485576

I've just looked at the link & the post below from AI said they are £550 all in.
    Did he change the price?

• @43fe6c64d1:

That was regarding the hypermaxx coilovers for a golf. Sorry the way I posted was ambiguous, I've edited my original post to make better sense!

XYZ coilovers appear to be similar quality to ksport/d2:
    -£550
    -inverted monotube
    -pillowball mounts
    -drop stock to -120mm

• Thanks, I may be intersting for the XYZ.
    I have sent an enquire to XYZ directly for pricing.

• HYPERMAXX:
    @e83ae4961f=PureButeMX3:

ooh! not bad, its a shame thers not many available for the mx3, my mate got a set of hypermaxx coilovers for his mk2 golf for £200!!!

well my mates golf is running a 2.8 VR6, its decked on these without strutbraces & it handles like a gokart, think the only downside i've seen is used ones seem to go a bit crispy but that will happen with most coilovers

• XYZ just quoted $660 USD inc delivery, thats cheap.

• Got qouted for 610USD + 162USD for Racing Spec (RS) Coilover. Any body else may be intersting?

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB