V6 running badly

• Hmm when you set the new TPS did you have it in diagnostic mode TEN GND shorted? Otherwise IIRC it won't set correctly/remember. If your TPS is properly set you should be able to unplug it during idle and have zero effect on idle.

TPS setting is fiddly, you'd be best to do it with a multimeter and feeler guages.

Fuel filter is pretty much under the battery tray on top of the tranny. Best thing to do it run the car, pullout connector under rear passenger seat until engine dies. This clears out lots of fuel in the lines.

• Thank's for that infi i didn't have the jumper on when i set it so i will do it again and change the filter.
    Will let you know as soon as i have done it but it might be a day or so as i have a lot on today and maby the same tomorrow but first chance i get i will try again.
    Regard's
    Alan.

• Hi again
    Changed fuel/air filter's reset the TPS still no joy.
    I will try to tell you the problem another way.
    If i hold the rev's at any speed 3500/4500 it is like the ignition is being switched of then on but onlt for a split second on off on off on all the time when you hold it at a steady rev.
    Don't know if that makes any sence to you.
    Regard's
    Alan.

• Hmm a video might help alot. You could try posting this or searching for similar on mx-3.com. I'm out of obvious ideas :?

• Will try a video but i am not sure how to post it ??
    Will do it a bit later on.
    Thank's
    Alan.

• If you can get the video on your computer it's usually just a case of uploading it to a site like youtube or photobucket and linking to it

• Hi Marco (or anybody looking)
    Does this make any sence to you.
    I have just moved the distributor a slight bit anti clockwise and the miss has gone i just have a fiat spot now when i touch the throttle but with the rev's up it fly's.
    Regard's
    Alan.

• Yup that's how you adjust the timing! Check out the online manual section on mx-3.com -http://mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php?file=/1995%20Workshop%20Manual/B2/B2-008.gif

You can use a timing gun with TEN and GND shorted in the diagnostics box to set timing. The ecu will automatically fine tune it if it's working properly. I'm surprised it was that far out that the ecu couldnt fix it! Glad the missfires gone at least :)

• Hi again
    I have set it best i can but got no timing light .
    But where ever i put it i still have the flat spot when i put my foot down even when setting off it will cough and splutter but spot on with high rev's.
    It seam's i can't win with this car.
    if i blip the throttle it will pop back and splutter then take off.
    Regard's
    Alan.
    ps. do you think the belt could have jumped a tooth.

• It may be worth checking your mixture setting.
    On the wife's Golf we turned it down for MOT emissions and forgot to turn back up. We had misfires and popping on throttle pick up (acceleration) but once it got up to speed it was OK.

• Hi
    I don't know if there is a way to set the mixture on the mx-3.

• Mixture Tuning :shock: Carbs.

Its all Controlled via ECU now and AFM.

• Hi all
    Is it posible for the timing belt to jump on one cam say just one tooth and couse this sort of problem.
    Regard's
    Alan.

• @3949969a4a=Alan:

Hi all
    Is it posible for the timing belt to jump on one cam say just one tooth and couse this sort of problem.
    Regard's
    Alan.

Yeah could cause the problems you described.

• Hi Mechanic
    The original problem went away when i moved the dizzy round and once you get the car moveing now it goes like it should it's just the low ens of the rev's that is the problem and i can't find a happy medium by moveing the dizzy.
    I have it booked in for a mot on saturday morning do you think the emisions will be up the wall.
    Thank's
    Alan.

• I would imagine that the emmsions will be out if the timing is not set up, you made it run better by getting the timing closer by changing the dizzy.

So i would deffinatly check timing.

• If youve jumped a tooth on the cams then you could end up in a pretty bad state, the jumped tooth will either have advanced or retarded the camshafts, therby doing the same to the valves, could end up with a valve smacking into the piston. Why do you think it might have jumped a tooth? If you seriously suspect it to have done so Id sort that out before going any further, not just because it could turn your engine into an expensive paperweight, but also because if they cams/valves arent in the positons they should be in then you could have compression loss due to the valves opening prior to tdc, or the valves opening to late, which would mean your not getting enough air and fuel into the chamber, so would have awful running from those effected chambers, youd also have compression build slightly due to the ex valve being shut when it should be open to vent the fumes.

Had a similar occurence on 2 bikes, one was a non runner, some idiot advanced the cams so much trying to get it working that it was actually sucking air in through the exhaust system, the other was when someone had changed out a shim for a much larger one as opposed to the 80p spring that I bought for it to get the auto decompression working, only realised something was wrong when it burnt the ss pipework and set fire to the glass fibre in the exhaust can. I thought it just ran like s@#t cos it was a 22 year old bike!

• @6d2cf6a169=Jesta:

Had a similar occurence on 2 bikes, one was a non runner, some idiot advanced the cams so much trying to get it working that it was actually sucking air in through the exhaust system, the other was when someone had changed out a shim for a much larger one as opposed to the 80p spring that I bought for it to get the auto decompression working, only realised something was wrong when it burnt the ss pipework and set fire to the glass fibre in the exhaust can. I thought it just ran like s@#t cos it was a 22 year old bike!

sorry but hahahha…

Bodge jobs at there finest.

• Take your distributor cap off and look at the backing plate, behind the rotor button it is probably cracked and causing the spark to arc.

• @66684ce1ce=Lori:

sorry but hahahha…

Bodge jobs at there finest.

Dont be, couldnt agree more. Dunno why people that dont have any rational thought allow themselves to do these things, you should have seen the camshafts, they were burnt/scored to hell, they should stick to doin oil changes if theyre not gonna read a manual, ask questions or arent any use with a socket set in general.

Its all well and good trying to do things yourself to save money, hell Ive saved thousands aswell as earnt a few quid doing stuff for other people. But the stuff you come across just leaves you thinking 'why, why would anyone do this?' A mate bought a zx6r same like I have, though it had been turned into a track bike, brought it round a couple of days later complaining it ran like crap, one look and there was no ram air intakes or resonators, therefore no direct feed of air. Had some in shed, put them on, let him go for a run, still complaining about performance and how it was better if he covered the intakes with his hand, took the tank off, opened the air filter housing, no filter at all! Its ridiculous, when I service my filter every couple of months and see the amount of dead flies, leaves and other junk in there it horrifies me to think what has or could have gone through the engine, what the point, carbs need vacuum to operate properly and any aftermarket filter is gonna give you all the air flow youll ever need, my bike did 150mph with the standard filter and could get upto redline with no issues, so why whoever felt the need to take out the filter completely just dont make sense.

Theres a progression of learning to do things for yourself and then theres jumping in head first, the latter always ends in problems!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB