Marco's Black Beast aka 'Sooty'

• I'd love to Robbie but I'm actually too poor to drive that far atm. Seriously brrrroke. Have a great day though mate, I'll have to come down again soon. Anything else coming up?

• Doing a bit of rust attacking. I hate the stuff so much. Came out ok, paint match could be better, and so could my blending, but it beats bubbly rust :)

Before:

AfteR:

Before:

After:

• looking good man.

how is it faring out with the turbo setup? any annoying things/fuel consumption?

oh what are you doing about the other one?

• Looking good. Lucky for DIY repairs that the black isn't a metallic & has no lacquer!

Did you rattlecan it?

• whats that goodyear tyre doing on that speed machine lol !!!.
    looking good marco, and congrats on the A level result btw :D

• much better than my spray job pmsl looks good mate

• Thanks Robbie. Turbos doing fine, ebay turbo has shat itself a little, it doesn't like launch control much! It still boosts fine, just a bit smokey at times. Fuel consumption can be pretty bad if you're boosting alot, off boost though I'm sure I'll still get 33/34mpg maybe higher. The rust bucket has to be left untouched until the whole farce is resolved. Which is really frustrating.

Yep Ryan! Halfords "mix 'n' some what get near the general colour match". The black isn't too bad, but I found the red easier to blend and match. The black did have lacquer factory finish, though mine has seen much better days!

Thanks Garfy :) They're part worns too lol this buying rust heaps caper really cleaned me out! Some ae48s or 888s would be nice, but they are stupidly expensive.

Thanks Daniel, you're looks spot on in your photos! Mine's far from perfect but I prefer it to bubbling 3d orange colour

• yeah my camera isnt the best mate, but it looks good from a distance or in the dark haha. I had to superglue my numberplate light back on last night as the bracket has rotted to pieces and it just fell out :lol: just glued it to the bumper for now. the black beast is looking very well mate. nice work

• Well not a very exciting update but they can't all be!

I'm running about 9psi of boost now according to megasquirt. I was having alot of missfiring antagonising a skyline in 3rd and 4th gears. When full boost kicked in - about 3500rpm it would studder and splutter. AFRs were fine and spark seemed fine other than this area.

I put in new plugs, the old looked a bit glazed. Still no difference. Recalibrated the TPS as I noticed partial throttle was smoother. Finally I decided to take off some timing. I took off 5 degrees around the missfiring section of the map. Went for a 4th gear pull and it was MUCH better :D

So looks like I need to refine my spark maps. The extra few lbs of boost over my dyno tuned level seems to have pushed the ignition into detonation territory. Even with crudely whacking 5 degrees off the car pulls like a train :D

• sooo jel!

cant really say more than that bud, epic work!

• 9psi must be nice tho lol!, lucky the mad scientist has the skills!, as people like me would have to send it back in for re tuning :( . Cant wait for vids. Surely it will be nice to get a nice garrett in there soon. :D

• so… you are toying with skylines and i got absolutely stuffed by a focus ST yesterday pmsl. mind you he only pulled me in after 1xx mph so the little 1.8 didnt do too badly against a ford turbo ;)

• lol yea I reckon I'd take it all day now the missfires sorted. It was tit for tat with the missfire!

It turns out what may be a fix for the problem is not necessarily the solution. My missfire came back last night, nothing had changed. So early this morning I borrowed the HT leads from my red mx3 and put them on sooty. Went for a run and my oh my smooth as you like. I then pulled over and loaded up the old spark map, still smooth :D So back to aggressive timing, 9psi and smooth pulling. Damn it's pretty fast now :lol:

I also raised the car up a bit on one side, it was lower on the passenger side despite the same number of rotations on the coilovers. I also rolled up the other arch whilst I was at it. Now cornering at speed with no rubbing, ahhh feels good :)

Yea garfy I'd love a garrett, or ideally a precision, just can't blow that amount at the moment! Maybe when my rust bucket is parted out.

• Yeehaw. Shite launch but still! Can't wait to get decent Tyres!

• Whoa, thats quick! How does it handle that much power to the front wheels?

• Hells yeah. get some road slicks on there and thatll be serious speed. whats it like through the corners???

• Under 5.5 thats what im after, well done, im sure you could do better though :wink:

• damn right! I thought the launch sucked and still got that. I'd like less than 5 with some decent tyres.

Handling is great with the xyzs and lsd… but it is more than useable power for 1st and 2nd with the current tyres. 3rd gear is the first one you can relax a bit about traction at WOT.

• You should bring it down to Japfest on the 11th!

• I've a course that weekend :( There's always something!!! Next event will hopefully be straightliners in enniskillen on the 18th sept.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB