Tick over

• Hi. I went and looked at an MX3 on Monday and it is in great condition inside and out. It is mot till end of August. the only concern i had was when i started it up it ticked over at 2,500rpm. I took it for a good spin and warmed it up it was nice and smooth, it then ticked over at 1,200rpm. The seller said he had to replace the hose from the throttle body to the air filter which he showed me, as the old one was split. he told me it ticked over high but you can ajust the tick over with a screw. Im going back on friday. What do you think and is this true. There were no oil leaks no smokle out the car completely mint apart from the tick over.

• mine sits at 1500 when its cold and when it warms up its at like 500. Dont know if thats normal. mine is a 4cyl though not the v6 so it might be different. I thought only carb'd engines had a idle screw, again i could be wrong.

nice to hear your journey has started!!! :wink:

• i had that problem. it wud tick over at 2500, then it woud drop to about 1500, jump up and down as if i was tapping the accelerator, then go back up to 2500. brought it to a garage and he couldnt find wat was wrong, but it fixed itself. id be careful

• Mine starts at 2500rpm til it gets warm then drops to 1000

used to idle ( when warm) at 1500 turned out to be the ducting from airbox.

Could be your problem , or may be other pipes .

Have a good look at the pipes when you go back , do they look old / cracked ?

• Ok so people have had the same problem. The guy did say the hose to the air filter was split and he has just replaced it. Is there an idle screw you can adjust then.

• Not to sure. think its all electric..EFI etc. afm..all that stuff.

didn't really look at engine before e dumped it :lol:

• So if its all electrically surly resetting the ecu or chipping the car should sort out any problems

• @cdc165b9f9=Wizzbit:

Ok so people have had the same problem. The guy did say the hose to the air filter was split and he has just replaced it. Is there an idle screw you can adjust then.

Think there's an adjustment screw near the airbox but not 100% sure

There's probably some info if you search the site

• There is indeed. Its a screw on the top of the throttle body. Adjust it with a big phillips head screwdriver, takes seconds! I had to adjust mine after replacing IM gaskets, got it set at about 700 now.

If you really want to check the car's health why not do the fault code test to pull any error codes of the ECU. All it take is a 12v LED and a bit of wire.

• can someone link to how to do that test? im sure ive seen it somewhere

• Thanx every 1 for your replys that has put my mind to ease. Well i pick her up tmos at 4pm carnt wait will be cruising back the 75miles from sheffield in my new car :D . I will post some pictures hopefully saturday so you can see her before i start to tincker with her :D

• @6cade39f0f=jamesmx3:

can someone link to how to do that test? im sure ive seen it somewhere

http://www.club323f.com/club323f/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13973&highlight=ten+code

Same deal for our cars :wink:

• 'put your wire between the TEN and GND, then get a 12v LED from somewhere.

Plug the neg of that into the FEN terminal and the pos into the +B terminal.'

ok whats:

TEN
    FEN
    +B

???

• its written on the lid of ur diagnostic box in the engine bay on the right ;)

• Sounds like a vacume hose is leaking or blocked.

Look at all your vacume hoses and replace any that are not working, also look at the state of your air filter.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB