General Questions

• Just got my 97 model MX3 recently and have spent some time looking through the forum for ideas. I think from what I have read it is a UK spec but still not really sure. It has a double din dash…. Anyway I have a few more questions that I would appreciate help or advice on…..

My dash lights up fine but none of the control knobs appear to light up, is this normal? If so are there any mods that will make them light up?

Not checked yet but neither of my window switches in the doors light up, again is this normal or am I looking at bulb changes?

Has anyone done any interior detailing such as glow lights in the footwells etc?

My horns on the wheel do not work and have been remedied with a short stalk on the column, I want them back on the wheel so will look at the issue when I have a chance, is the circuit simple enough to identify and fault check?

I currently have central locking on the key, has anyone fitted an aftermarket remote locking system (Cheap E Bay one) if so is there any advice on where and how to wire in the system.

Are the keys micro chipped or can I just have spares cut?

Does anyone have a spare owners manual they do not want?

Thanks in advance

Jon

• hiya Jon heres some answers

My dash lights up fine but none of the control knobs appear to light up, is this normal? If so are there any mods that will make them light up?

Only the ones with little holes for an orange led have a light in to tell you they are on

you can buy a reverse glow kit from germany to make the heater controls light up and buy the dial kit to make them match ( I think I have a spare kit somewhere)
    Not checked yet but neither of my window switches in the doors light up, again is this normal or am I looking at bulb changes?

None of the door switches light up but some random cars have lights in the locks that come on when you pull the handle to find the keyhole in the dark

Has anyone done any interior detailing such as glow lights in the footwells etc?

not that I know of but its an easy mod

My horns on the wheel do not work and have been remedied with a short stalk on the column, I want them back on the wheel so will look at the issue when I have a chance, is the circuit simple enough to identify and fault check?

Theres 2 types - airbag / non airbag wheels, the non airbag you need the stalk assembly from a pre 1994 fitted so you can fit a non airbag wheel or aftermarket wheel, post 1994 they have a cable that is rolled around the inside of the steering wheel for airbag firing. to replace this you just need a stalk assembly from a post 1994 it just plug and play. ** NOTE ** the battery must be disconnected for at least 20 minutes before removing the airbag

I currently have central locking on the key, has anyone fitted an aftermarket remote locking system (Cheap E Bay one) if so is there any advice on where and how to wire in the system.

most will work, its just a ball ache fitting the actuator to unlock the door

Are the keys micro chipped or can I just have spares cut?

The key will have what looks like a blob of plastic in the side of it if it has a transponder fitted and when you turn the ignition on a yellow light with a key in the middle at the bottom of the speedo comes on then goes off automatically

if it has the blob either get the transponder fitted into a new key or get a cheap key cut and glue the old transponder to the inside of the plastic arouynd the steering wheel

you can buy the chiltons manual for the mx3 on ebay for £17 or you can download it on this site for free

• @7ff1bcdb17=JEEP:

http://www.uk-mx3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5779

• Thanks for that.

With regard to the central locking, is there not already an actuator in there as both doors open and lock on the key from the drivers door? This appears to be the same as was on my L200 which was just a wired system to pick up the signal from the remote, which in turn operated the actuators already in place.

Jon

• Yup, all that's needed is a solenoid with power attached to the in-car part of the alarm.

• Cheers Lori

• djmarcopolo

you can buy a reverse glow kit from germany to make the heater controls light up and buy the dial kit to make them match ( I think I have a spare kit somewhere)

Do you have a link for these kits I can't seem to find one. I am after white clocks with a blue glow and the carbon surround.

Jon

• :D Some great links thanks mate.

• hey no worries :bigok:

• the seat heater look nice addon !,
    if you look closely it says " universal ",
    not mx-3 specific.
    looking for , you can even find double wheel ones to control " left right (or forward /rear i assume).
    It's the first winter here nobody needed i bet .
    Never saw i retrofitted one , who know how much it burns
    :mrgreen:

Curioius to see white set once installed Marco !

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB