Dodgy handbrake

• Hi folks, need to pick your collective brains.

Took the car for the mot and the only issue I have is that the handbrake only operates the LR brake.

I have taken the offending caliper off, stripped, cleaned and reassembled. Bled all 4 corners and took it for a test. Naturally the brakes where improved as the fluid was manky but with the handbrake firmly on I can still turn the RR round (though there is improved resistance it's still no near what it should be)

Any suggestions where to go next :?:

The caliper came apart really easy and the piston is in good shape but obviously the problem is the handbrake mechanism.

Edit : I have not made and adjustment to the brake (don't know how to do this as I have never done it before). But I'm assuming I don't have enough play in the lever for the handbrake.

• OK, decided to remove the caliper again and have another go. Managed to get more movement in the handbrake lever (can now turn it with fingers). Unfortunately I noticed that moving this had no affect on moving the piston. It feels like moving rubber TBH.

Any ideas folks :?:

Anyone have a good RR caliper they can send to me :?:

Cheers.

• OK, decided to remove the caliper again and have another go. Managed to get more movement in the handbrake lever (can now turn it with fingers). Unfortunately I noticed that moving this had no affect on moving the piston. It feels like moving rubber TBH.

Any ideas folks :?:

Anyone have a good RR caliper they can send to me :?:

Cheers.

• possibly stretched cable, unfortunately changed MOT rules this year mean the rear brakes have to be balanced
    ( i guess for drifting and hand brake skids in macdonalds)

if the caliper is working fine on the brake test by foot pedal next step is the cable ( do both if you are going to replace)

• @718c76dac8=djmarcopolo:

possibly stretched cable, unfortunately changed MOT rules this year mean the rear brakes have to be balanced
    ( i guess for drifting and hand brake skids in macdonalds)

if the caliper is working fine on the brake test by foot pedal next step is the cable ( do both if you are going to replace)

Yeah, I know what you mean. The one brake is solid and the other was just free wheeling with the handbrake applied.

I'm sure you may have something with the cable. However, with the caliper on the bench I can turn the arm round and the piston doesn't move at all (suspect the innards to be fubar'ed)

Gonna go for a recon caliper, 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty. Hopefully get it delivered this week for fitting and last minute MOT. Cutting it rather fine for this time of year!!!!

• Ahhhhh just my luck. Got the new part today and its not the same as what's coming off! Tried to get the slider on to make sure but its not gonna happen.

MOT is booked for Friday so looks like I have to cancell that and be without a car all over Xmas :(

Unless anyone has a good working RR caliper they can ship to me asap? (Better post in wanted section ;))

• Sounds like its seized up[ in there, you can buy service kits for these to do your self if you want to

• First off it sounds like the cable if the caliper is all moving freely.

There are two cables one going to each caliper.

Ger someone to repeatedly pull on the handbrake while you watch the cable by the offending caliper to make sure the cable is moving.

Then disconnect from the caliper and test again.

You can compare the amount of movement to that on the good side as a reference.

If its all moving free, try adjusting the cable, you do this by removing the plastic bit by the handbrake inside the car. there are two cables with nuts that you adjust to increase the tension.

If you find your handbrake comes up very high, that is also a sign that it needs adjusting.

• @d0732498e7=ukmx3admin:

First off it sounds like the cable if the caliper is all moving freely.

There are two cables one going to each caliper.

Ger someone to repeatedly pull on the handbrake while you watch the cable by the offending caliper to make sure the cable is moving.

Then disconnect from the caliper and test again.

You can compare the amount of movement to that on the good side as a reference.

If its all moving free, try adjusting the cable, you do this by removing the plastic bit by the handbrake inside the car. there are two cables with nuts that you adjust to increase the tension.

If you find your handbrake comes up very high, that is also a sign that it needs adjusting.

Ditto this! Only just passed my last MOT handbrake test even after new discs and pads, greased sliders and the handbrake lever adjusted right up to the max. Cables stretch over time so it's on my list for next time!

• Decided to take the car to a good garage the other day. They too couldn't get the existing caliper to work and confirmed the replacement is not for this vehicle. To be honest I'm sure the mechanism has broken or possibly seized like has been said.

Finally after several emails and phone calls, the company who sold me the recon caliper have said they sent the wrong one and will ship a new one and collect the wrong one. So waiting for that to turn up now.

Then to decide weather to have a play at rebuilding it properly (as in get some proper deep and thin circlip pliers) or send it in for 15 squid ;) ) Thank you ALL for the advice, hopefully I'll post up soon with a new MOT!

PS its bloody cold on a by cycle at 530am!! :lol:

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB