Full size spare question

• I have a space saver spare wheel in the boot and recently put it on the car to take the wheels off for maintenance. When the space saver was on the back it all looked fine but when I put it on the front the weight of the engine squashed the tyre right down and my trolley jack wedged under the car.

I went and won a cheap set of MX3 alloys on ebay so I could use one as a spare and put the rest away if needed.

Now the current wheels are 205/55/15 7JJ and the new ones are 195/65/15 6JJ. I want to know a couple of things:

a. Is it safe to use a different size wheel for the spare (online calulators say approx 9mm bigger in circumference).

b. Any problems with insurance for a non standard spare even though it ia actually an MX3 wheel.

c. Should I hide it for the MOT and put the space saver back in.

d. Should I worry at all because I only use the car on the weekends and barely travel 10 miles from home!

Thanks to anyone with any advice.

• spare wheel is not part of the MOT.

• It would only cost you £10 inc fitting for a part worn 205 55 15.

• @8a5e243d7d=youdirtyfox:

spare wheel is not part of the MOT.

Correct, and its not even a requirment to carry one either.

As regard to is it safe, yes. I have a space saver for RX-7 as standard and there is a lot more torque on them!

• @73225e6d1f=ukmx3admin:

It would only cost you £10 inc fitting for a part worn 205 55 15.

Last part worn I had fitted was 195/50/15 and that was £23, so you must have a very good cheap source there.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB