Headlamp adjustment (HELP)

• At this point, I would start to look at a way of removing the motor to lift and lower the headlights from the dash, so you can get headlights from someone and add them to it.

When they break, it really isn't worth the man hours to fix, they will lock up, and you will end up doing it every year.

It's just one of them things that are a bad design, great on paper, bad in practice.

Mooneggs has managed to do it, might be worth chucking him a PM to see how he did it.

• Hi Lori
    I dont have the level adjustable model lights but I dont believe the
    motor is in the dash?? I maybe wrong but i think its just an adjustable POT connected to motors attatched to each of the lamp units rears?

I would be very interested to see how the motors do indeed attatch to the
    lamp units and request that if anyone could upload a pic to demonstrate this
    I would be v greatful? just out of interest really. :)

Slightly off topic, the last car I had with 'AUTOMATIC' headlight adjustment was a Lancia Beta HPE 2L ie which was actually operated via manifold vacuum, no driver input, it was all controlled by a load proportioning valve connected to the rear anti rollbar! any rear sag would adjust lights accordingly! 1983 wow :(

• Thanks for the replies guys.
    Kev, Both headlamps are misaligned and both point inwards.. Think of Marty Feldman the cross-eyed comic actor …........
    I'm sure I need to fix both lamps.

Lori, I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to communicating with other members (sorry but not done this before). Is there any way you could possibly send a message to the guy who has fixed his lights already and get him to point me in the right direction. I really am at a loss as to how to proceed without dismantling both lamps. I can't wait to get my MX-3 back on the road.
    Cheers

• I replied to Barry's PM as well but thought I should include the info here too.

Yes I have had some experience taking apart glass/plastic H4 style mx-3 headlamps. I've got a ton of pics in this thread: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63266

I would suggest scrolling through that thread to see the pics and maybe you can determine what's going on with yours (Option 2 has details about taking the headlamps apart). It could be the housing for the little ball is broken or the threads are stripped. It could also be that the vertical is adjusted too high and in that case you will not be able to adjust the horizontal. They have to be adjusted a little bit together so that you can get it to move higher…

• Removing the bumper is the best way.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB