Cooling System Problem

• After noticing a drop in the coolant level in my MX-3 V6 the other day I suspected a leak but haven't found anything apart from some drops under the coolant bottle. I put the coolant at the full level mark when cold and left it running until it got up to temperature. Once it did coolant started coming out of the pipe on the left of the cap, the one I'm guessing for overflows. So this explains where the coolant was going and the low level, but why was it overflowing? And the coolant was stone cold, as was the radiator. Shouldn't the coolant be hot when the engine is? Would this be the thermostat? Or the water pump? Or maybe a blockage in the cooling system somewhere? The car has never overheated and runs just over half way on the temperature gauge, so the engine does get up to temperature, just not the coolant. Any help gratefully received! Thanks

• Shouldn't it be filled up between min. and max. so you have some headroom for expansion?! Wont get over hot just idling I wouldnt imagine.

T.stat would be my guess or some built up sludge in the bottom of the rad or a dodgy rad. cap.

• Theres 2 caps on the water system, I would replace the one on the rad as it seems to not hold pressure as it should and just forcing water into header tank

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB