V6 Noisy tapping??

• I know its not the best method because the quality is not great but I think this engine is making too much noise (I have not heard what they are supposed to sound like)

So does this sound pretty normal?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O21L4LS50Ic

Cheers :cheers:

• add your location and people in your area might be able to help

These engines do get tappety when they are low on oil so make sure its at the full mark or give it an oil change and engine flush so it has nice clean oil running through it that can get everywhere and it gets up the oil pump riser :bigok:

• Thanks for the reply :D

As it happens I have just done an oil change in the hope that that was the problem but unfortunately no better :?

• Possibilities:

Friction gear spring of rear head.
    Carbon knock off pistons.
    Sticky lifters.

Where abouts does it sound worst?

• Cheers Marco :)

To be honest I dont know where it sounds worse so I will have a good listen in the morning and hopefully get something more helpfull.

I remember helping my mate re-shim his engine once which sounded similar. Can the K8 be re-shimmed?

• Oh and timing belt tensioner is another one! It gets loose and smscks off the t belt cover.

These engines don't need shimmed they have hydraulic lash adjusters, but these can get sticky or just collapse. Though lets not get hasty :)

• Right, managed to have a good poke around today.

The noise is mostly coming from the far bank of cylinders (ie nearest the bulkhead) and if anything on the left hand side (pulley side)

I have also located another noise coming from the sensor plugged into the nearest bank. Can someone tell me what the sensor is for please?

:cheers:

• i would have to side with tappets, does the noise reduce after an oil change? just wondering? :)

• Has it had thee timing belt done including the hydraulic tensioner? Thats my guess. Otherwise the friction gear spring on the rear exhaust cam.

• I did an oil change recently and unfortunately it seemed to make no difference :(

I know the belt has been done but I dont know what was done along with it. I will dig out the paperwork and have a look. Car used to belong to my sister and she only did 20k miles in 6 years but I always remember it being noisy anyway :?

Tappets what can I do to identify this and is it ok to still drive it?

• @Marco:

Has it had thee timing belt done including the hydraulic tensioner? Thats my guess. Otherwise the friction gear spring on the rear exhaust cam.[/quote

snap but if emgine isnt reeallt well looked after, after 100k they will make nose but oerefect to drive on

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB