Dashboard mess

• Hi guys, ive just introduced myself as a new owner and am looking for my first advice.
    When I tried to turn on my radio I noticed that it wasnt even connected. The unit powers up when plugged in but the wires on the block connector have been cut off. There is also an FM modulator, some fancy gold wiring, audio in/out home cinema style red+white wires and theres also a 3-way out cigarette lighter adaptor. Theres more black electrical tape than Halford own!
    All i want is a basic stereo with some decent speakers.
    I know its a big ask, but any ideas where to start?
    Can I just buy a new radio connector from the main cables down and replace the whole lot or is it more complicated?

• Hiya, if the cables that are fitted to the car still have the white connector block fitted and havent been cut you need an ISO connector
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT20MZ01-Mazda-Premacy-323-Demio-MX-3-ISO-Stereo-Head-Unit-Harness-Adaptor-Lead-/180734951980?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a14a4822c

Just plug that in and then any modern stereo will work in your car that has iso connectors (90% of stereo's do) then that save joining wires

If not you need to open the rear speaker grills and take of the door cards and look at the wiring to the speakers, the colours are all different so finding what is what is dead easy then, that just leaves power to it so you need a multimeter to test voltages go through each cable and marking them by turning ignition, lights on etc

The rear speakers are easy to replace just get nearest size and they do fit if you put in new holes into the plastic
    The fronts you need special mounts to make the door speakers fit a standard after market size usually 5.25 inches
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAK-1903-Mazda-MX3-323-130mm-Front-Door-Car-Speaker-Adaptor-Plate-/400329486573?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5d357f30ed

STANDARD STEREO WIRING
    yellow - permanent live
    red - igntion live - goes off when key is off
    Black - earth - just connect to bare metal screw under dash
    Orange - lights on live
    Either Blue - remote turn on for an amp in the boot if you want one

• Thanks for the reply thats what I was hoping. Anyway, I've got a couple of pics to show you all what a mess it is and give you an idea on what im up to. Is the modulator important? I've never come accross one before. Are the other cables useful or important?
    If you click on the thumbs they will expand I hope!
    Thanks again.

• The fm modulator looks like it was or is linked to a cd changer, it then turns the cd changer signal into a FM signal that you tune into the radio, its usually used on newer cars where you want to keep the factory stereo.
    I think you going to have to peal back all the modified wiring until you can ger back to the factory wiring, watch out for sparks!!.

• Thanks for the replies all. I'm going to try the connector as suggested and I think I'll have to strip away all the new wire including the 3 plug cigarette adaptor. So, how does one remove the centre console? I'll also be looking for one of the little cubby things that fits under the stereo unit if thats possible to find. Mine seems to have disappeared!

• Hi Tom,

Whereabouts are you?

I have a spare car with a clarion stereo and probably wiring etc. which is surplus to requirements.

Are you anywhere near Gloucester?

• Thanks IceMan, thats a very generous offer! Trouble is I'm down in deepest South Wales (Tenby) which is a fair trip. I've ordered the connector which I hope will work and for £2.90 I don't care if it doesn't! Thanks again though.

• Hiya tom, if yo want something to go in the dash under your stereo I have a small 4 dial box that fits there perfect and look neat too

Just run the rca connector cable from the stereo into it then onto an amp if you have one and just wire it to the negative, permanent live and ignition live on the stereo

Itll come on with the ignition has a built in clock and the needles bounce in time with the music and all 4 dials light up in blue

£15 if you want it, plus I am in carmarthen this weekend for my nan in laws 80th birthday party and you are only down the road so save on post too :bigok:

Any other parts you need email me as I will chuck them in the boot too

• @6b83d3d6fa=BigTom:

Thanks IceMan, thats a very generous offer! Trouble is I'm down in deepest South Wales (Tenby) which is a fair trip. I've ordered the connector which I hope will work and for £2.90 I don't care if it doesn't! Thanks again though.

Cool. If you get stuck let me know and I'll see if I can get the connector out and post it to you.

• djmarcopolo - that sounds pretty smart but is there any chance you can send a picture at all? What are the dials on it for etc??

• dials LEFT TO RIGHT
    Temp - VU - VU - VOLTS

vu IS THE NEEDLES THAT BOUNCE UP AND DOWN IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC
    bit retro but looks good in the slot

Also as you are new I have a 4" sportex stainless rear box if you want a nice purr to your car, they are £140 new if you want it this weekend to collect from carmarthen its yours for £60 :mrgreen:

It bolts straight on, no need to modify anything and they sound great
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sportex-Mazda-MX3-performance-exhaust-back-box-BMZ01J4-/280425200667?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414aa4fc1b

• good picture here
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Gauges-Stereo-Head-Unit-Holder-VDO-Volts-DIN-36mm-52mm-Voltage-Temperature-/330735802041?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4d0163d6b9

dials LEFT TO RIGHT
    Temp - VU - VU - VOLTS

vu IS THE NEEDLES THAT BOUNCE UP AND DOWN IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC
    bit retro but looks good in the slot, just need a standard stereo cage to mount it in

Also as you are new I have a 4" sportex stainless rear box if you want a nice purr to your car, they are £140 new if you want it this weekend to collect from carmarthen its yours for £60 :mrgreen:

It bolts straight on, no need to modify anything and they sound great
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sportex-Mazda-MX3-performance-exhaust-back-box-BMZ01J4-/280425200667?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414aa4fc1b

• Those are excellent offers thanks but I'll have to decline both. I'm working all weekend straight through from Friday to Monday. I like the dials especially. The blue lights would look great at night. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for toys like an exhaust yet as Christmas approaches. But hopefully after I'll be able to start playing.
    Its nice to have joined a group of people who are so willing to help out.

• Well my new wires arrived and fitted perfectly to the wires from the car. Unfortunately, they don't connect to the stereo! The connectors are different. The pics below show the difference. Can I get another adaptor?

The new wires also came with this little attachment. Any ideas?

• Hey tim, your missing the lead that came with the stereo.
    it will will be the adaptor your missing.
    what make of stereo are you using as all brands have different adapters.
    The fly lead is a back up earth find a screw on the rear of the stereo where it doesn't clash with the cage slot and bolt it up.

• The leads you bought are a conversion from Mazda MX3 to standard ISO fittings.

What make stereo is it?

I'll have a look in my donor care and if the connection I have are suitable, I'll gladly post them to you… (ps I have a Clarion stereo fitted).

• Thats what I thought. The previous owner must have butchered the original. Its a JVC unit in at the mo. Nothing fancy so I imagine a browse on fleabay will come up well.

• I've got a JVC in my 'non donor'original MX3 - had to buy the lead for it -ISO-JVC and it works fine. only about £5 on feebay too.

Good luck!

• TOM, I was in wales as you know this weekend just gone and I know you live in the tenby area

Was it your white MX3 parked up in saundersfoot on double yellows saturday night for the fireworks :rofl:

there was 3 mx's in saundersfoot that night I saw 2 silver ones there too, unfortunately due to an earth problem I had to take the mx5 for an uncomfortable 3.5 hour drive there and then back again, I did that drive one night in the ZE in 2.5 hours to pembroke, thats not bad going for a 180 mile drive :rimshot:

• It was me indeed! There are a few 3's in the area. In fact there are three icluding mine in the one village ( Kilgetty). Theres a silver 1.6 auto and a red V6 which was the car that gave me first thoughts of buying one myself. 3.5 hrs in a 5 doesn't sound like a bad way to spend time though! If your down this way again we should arrange something. Would be nice to meet a fellow enthusiast.

• LOL, it wasnt you dressed as Naughty norman having photos with people was it lmfao

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB