Newbie disaster

• Only had my Mazda ms3 2weeks gt to work tonite and upon pullin in over a ramp I've popped my drive shaft need a replacement ASAP and any advice or help in changin it over would be appreciated
    Chris
    P.s its a 1.8 v6 on a n plate

• Just pop it back in lol

Have you actually broken the joint or just seperated it?

If its seperated you can just put it back together. If the rubber boot has split just replace that.

To replace ist cheaper to get a second hand driveshaft if your worried about money.

To change:

• Undo the HUB NUT first (the big one in the centre of the wheel) has a split pin.

• Then jack up, put on an axel stands, remove wheel.

• Undo bottom ball joint, track rod end.

• Drop the gearbox oil.

• Use pri bar to pop cv joint out of gearbox, you have a circlip to overcome.

• Refit is reverse of above

Hope that helps

• Not too sure think.its popped had no.drive but cud hear it crunching around in the hub had to leave it at work last nite so will check when I go pick it up cheers..

• sounds like someone has put it back together with the little retainer clip on the end of the driveshaft missing, need to get one of those from mazda before refitting (or find diameter and vauxhall do one the same size)

• Rite gt it home n drive shaft has popped out lucky the gattor hasn't split made sum bad noises on the tow home lol but all is still intact to a extent gna be a busy few days sourcing parts and get the old bird fixed looks like I'm bk in the Mrs 206cc for a few days lol

• If it was crunching then you probably knackered it ( i'm guessing you didn't bother removing it or tying it out of the way before you towed it lol ).

Take some pics when you can and i can advise on if it can be repaired or what parts you need if its beyond repair, i'm sure I have a couple of driveshafts lying around in my garage.

Fingers crossed nothing else got damaged.

• Will try n get pics up asap cheers for the advice so far lads

• Rite quick update I've gt my local mechanic to give me a quote he's sayin £80 plus vat for the part n 50 labour seems cheap but havnt dne one myself so is it worth payin his price or try n sort it another way ?.

• The worst part of changing a drive shaft is the hub nut! you'll need to have a big socket like 36mm or something and a decent breaker bar with a long piece of scaffold pole on the end to gain enough leverage to undo it or air tools.

So if you don't have any of that gear or know someone who has it might be worth getting a S/H shaft and getting him to fit it?

• Rite quick update I've gt my local mechanic to give me a quote he's sayin £80 plus vat for the part n 50 labour seems cheap but havnt dne one myself so is it worth payin his price or try n sort it another way ?.

• do it, that sounds a good price, if its already out the hard work is done :cheers:

• £25 puls delivery for the part from me, not sure mow much it will cost for postage but will charge you whatever it costs me plus a few quid for packaging.

Let me know if your interested PM me, and let me know if you need the long one or the short one

• make sure you get them to put in new gearbox oil.

• Update gt my drive shaft yesterday after driving round Birmingham jap breakers I gt one lol ready to tow to a mates garage to strip her down lol one quick question the retaining clip can they be sourced any where or just Mazda n Vauxhall ?

• Got it done today not as hard as I thought messy tho lol good to see wht might need replacing sooner or later too

• nice one, yeah its always interesting getting under a new car for the first time.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB