Changed Spark Plugs Today and One covered in Oil????

• Well yesterday i went down down to my friends house to sort the new induction kit out on the MX3. We removed the air intake pipe, removed all the
    air box and filter. Then worked out a way of using the new silicone elbow, dump valve pipe and K&N air filter. Then we tried to fit the mass air filter sensor to the bracket supplied with the K&N filter and this is what we encountered.

As you can see you can't fit a round hole into a square hole, after reading the description on ebay saying this was for a 1.6 MX3, it obviously is not.
    So i inspected my original air intake for leaks and discovered on the flexi part of the pipe, there where cracks in the pipe. So i gaffer taped the pipe up, and we fitted all the air intake, old air box and filter back on the car. Then my mate spotted the throttle cable on the car was slack so he tightened it up, i drove the car back home and apart from the rpm rising to 2000 when at a standstill, the car runs perfect now. I have got to loosen off the throttle cable a little, as i suspect its to tight, and job done. I will be returning the K&N filter to supplier for a full refund, and leave it as it is for now, and can always try the induction replacement at a later stage.
    Many thanks guys
    Wayne :lol: :lol: :D :D

• I had this problem on my old carisma, but it was the other side. the MAF had a square hole, trying to get a round air filter on it. I just made a bracket out of some study plastic and a soldering iron. however, that looks a bit different there as the square is very small isn't it. defo not for an MX3 i'd say

• try this one if you get your money back
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX3-1-6i-16v-09-91-K-N-57i-Induction-Kit-57-0447-/320731834195?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aad1b6753
    looks like a full kit and its bidding so could go cheaper than you paid

• Before we tried to fit the MAF sensor to the K&N we was about to cut
    some of the old intake pipe to fit onto the end of the dump valve.
    Fortunately we didn't or we would have been in a right mess lol.
    Wayne.

• lol yeah i bet you would have been pretty pissed if that happened :lol:

• glad to hear you got it running it again ok. good on ya for buying the elbow & T piece set up, you will have to let us know how you get on when
    fitting it up later on, and just shout if you need anymore help with it :)

• @29bd207be2=youdirtyfox:

glad to hear you got it running it again ok. good on ya for buying the elbow & T piece set up, you will have to let us know how you get on when

Will do matey, and thanks for your help, still baffled how the MAF sensor would be screwed down onto a cone filter with regards to where the screw holes are. Will keep you posted.
    Many thanks
    Wayne. :D :?:

• @d98c7436e4=wilkomx3:

@d98c7436e4=youdirtyfox:

glad to hear you got it running it again ok. good on ya for buying the elbow & T piece set up, you will have to let us know how you get on when

Will do matey, and thanks for your help, still baffled how the MAF sensor would be screwed down onto a cone filter with regards to where the screw holes are. Will keep you posted.
    Many thanks
    Wayne. :D :?:

Thats a bloody good point actually….... how the hell would you tighten the bolts up :shock:

• @db44d52240:

still baffled how the MAF sensor would be screwed down onto a cone filter with regards to where the screw holes are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-85-97-MX3-MX5-MX6-RX7-L4-AIR-INDUCTION-KIT-/310240627034?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483bc8495a

with some kind of plate like that, replacing the one on the MAF?

• That Induction kit looks more like the perfect item for me, and a fraction of the price of the K&N , wish I had seen that earlier lol.
    Wayne.

• basically an air filter is just an air filter, weather its K&N or a cheap alternative, it will sound similar with similar "gains" some people swear by K&N. I used to have one on my old mondeo, and i replaced it with a cheapy "carbon" one which i got from ebay for about £2.50 bidding. it sounded better and if i am honest it felt liike it went better too. :) differences will be made when you have a direct cold air infeed with something like this.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-Cold-Air-Feed-Ram-Ends-Flexible-induction-ducting-/350465233728?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51995b1340

If a cone filter is just sat in a hot engine bay it can actually get heatsoak and lose hp

• Thats a good point Dan is making there, you do see too many air filters hanging around it hot places . Classic case was on newbie 205's where they got placed over the exhaust manifold!!!

• @79e13e4cb7=daniel:

basically an air filter is just an air filter, weather its K&N or a cheap alternative, it will sound similar with similar "gains" some people swear by K&N. I used to have one on my old mondeo, and i replaced it with a cheapy "carbon" one which i got from ebay for about £2.50 bidding. it sounded better and if i am honest it felt liike it went better too. :) differences will be made when you have a direct cold air infeed with something like this.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-Cold-Air-Feed-Ram-Ends-Flexible-induction-ducting-/350465233728?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51995b1340

If a cone filter is just sat in a hot engine bay it can actually get heatsoak and lose hp

you may be young fella but at least you know not to fit and open filter in a hot engine bay,.. ie heat soak = fail

• @35840a0da2=youdirtyfox:

Thats a good point Dan is making there, you do see too many air filters hanging around it hot places . Classic case was on newbie 205's where they got placed over the exhaust manifold!!!

:lol: thats probably the worst possible place to have it.

Thanks Raines, i think that was a compliment ;)

• yes it was and its not "it can"… it will suffer from heat soak..there must be a cold supply to the filter or have an enclosed intake drawing air from outside...

• like on my "old" alfa, cone filter in the standard airbox drawing cold air in via the norema channel in the wing :wink: but yeah it is needed to prevent heat soak mate

• norema was supposed to be normal. dunno whats wrong with me today lol

• Well my bodge up gaffa tape only lasted a couple of weeks before it started to work its way off the intake pipe gradually with the recent good weather we have been having. So after researching various options on ebay and elsewhere, i decided just out of curiosity to get a quote from Wolverhampton Mazda for a replacement original Air Intake Pipe, and was shocked and surprised when they said £54 in total. So i ordered one straight away, and fitted it this morning, now it seems to be running a lot better now, but whilst trying to fit the K&N replacement earlier and opting for the gaffer tape bodge job, my mate noticed that the throttle cable was loose and tightened it up for me, he also adjusted the tick over screw a couple of turns to help it tick over better until i sorted the parts out to fix the problem. The tick over was a lot better, but i had to loosen off the throttle cable because the rpm was idling at 2000 at a standstill. Now this morning whilst fitting the new Intake pipe i turned the tick over screw down a notch so it would tick over at around 800 rpm at standstill, but it seems a little hesitant in first gear, so i'm wondering if i should turn the tick over srew up a little, and also if the throttle cable needs to be tight, or a little loose like it is now? :?: :?: :?:

• my V6 tick over when warm is about 300-400rpm but i think its not right lol so 800-900 is probably about right for a 4 cyl

• 650 is factory spec, its lagging cos youve changed the throttle setup, best thing to do now is to run through the TPS, TSS and IAS setup.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB