Rocker cover gasket sealant?

• Are you supposed to use some when fitting a new gasket?

• if its supplied, yes. Depends what gasket though, for rocker, using clean engine oil is recommended

• none supplied, its like a rubber gasket.
    any recommendations on makes
    of sealant anyone.

• if its rubber just use a little oil as lube all round and job done :wink:

• didnt I just say that? grrrr

• @37ae920fc3=djmarcopolo:

if its rubber just use a little oil as lube all round and job done :wink:

If you do this I can guarantee that you will end up with oil spilling out of the cam cover, onto the manifold and generally making a f**king mess! Any rubber based gasket sealant is good to use, I smother mine with the stuff, you need it.

• @b88782e350=RustyMx3:

If you do this I can guarantee that you will end up with oil spilling out of the cam cover, onto the manifold and generally making a f**king mess! Any rubber based gasket sealant is good to use, I smother mine with the stuff, you need it.

Sorry bud, but thats just plain and simple wrong. You cant "guarentee" it as its what your supposed to do, Ive done this on I dunno, about 6 different rocker cover's on bikes, and 2 on cars.

If you blather it in RTV sealant, you stand a good risk of it seeping into the valve train and then the rest of the system, though you can use it in small quantities in corners or intricate areas. Though Ive never found this to be necessary.

You only just did this yourself in a post the other day, Ive got past experience of doing this, and Im sure DJ does too, so to run in and say you guarentee something because youve done it once, is a recipe for disaster. Im not trying to bash you mate, but your info is wrong and fear mongering isnt healthy.

• @85a4ef2871=Jesta:

@85a4ef2871=RustyMx3:

Sorry bud, but thats just plain and simple wrong. You cant "guarentee" it as its what your supposed to do, Ive done this on I dunno, about 6 different rocker cover's on bikes, and 2 on cars.

If you blather it in RTV sealant, you stand a good risk of it seeping into the valve train and then the rest of the system, though you can use it in small quantities in corners or intricate areas. Though Ive never found this to be necessary.

You only just did this yourself in a post the other day, Ive got past experience of doing this, and Im sure DJ does too, so to run in and say you guarentee something because youve done it once, is a recipe for disaster. Im not trying to bash you mate, but your info is wrong and fear mongering isnt healthy.

I'm actually using the knowledge I have gained from doing mine and also reading up on the internet about the B6 engine gasket removal and installation where it would seem that it tells you do do this, I was told to do the oil thing in the first place and it lead to a catastrophic fail leaving me shedding oil everywhere, spitting oil out the exhaust, etc, etc.

So seing as I've just had to redo mine, I think I'm in good stead to give good advice to Foxy on this one.

My car is running better than it has for about 6 months now, it's quieter and I'm not leaving plumes of oily smoke behind me. Maybe on the K8 it is different, I know on the Civic you don't have to do this and also on the 206 as the gasket on them just sits around the cam cover and not in a groove set in the rim.

• fine

• @4eadb9c608=Jesta:

fine

Yup, just a shame my electrics have given up the ghost again!

• off topic

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB