HELP!! No Reverse after fitting KLZE engine

• DJ (thought i'd ask for you)

Just fitted a KLZE engine and gearbox that was out of another MX-3.

It was working fine in the other car.

Then the engine and gearbox was taken out, then the engine gearbox and clutch were seperated to be sold seperately. I bought them all, re-assembled and put them in my MX-3.

But now I have no reverse?

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? and how to fix it?

–-----------
    Also asked on MX-3.com here:
    http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77055
    So keep an eye on that too DJ.

• Thanks Daryl for getting on the case

Its very strange, can feel the entry to the gear but its like something is blocking it but its all there and connected as it should, the other thing with this box is that the other gears feel a little sloppy :cry:

• I know you have bled the hydraulics, so its not that. Might be worth double checking the bleeding procedure? Although would hydraulics problem not stop all gears?

My next guess would be linkage alignment and I know you have tried that too so it shouldn't be that either.

Have you tried rolling the car slowly and try and put in reverse?

I suggested jacking the gearbox incase it was a mount that was causing it to drop out of alignment?

Could anything with the clutch cause this? Is the friction plate symetric on an MX-3?

Have you driven it forward yet?

Gearbox mount?

I remember reading somewhere about a bolt on the gearbox that has something to do with reverse??? Not sure what it is? Might be for a detent so I wouldn't play with it, but maybe give it a tap with a rubber mallet?

• She goes fantastic have been burning fuel all afternoon, all the other gears are fine, so that rules out
    hydraulics / bleeding
    Rolling etc, its the same when its moving just feels blocked
    The linkage all looks to be in good order but it does feel sloppy compared to the old box
    I did the gearbox mount up myself so I know its all on there tight
    Will have a chat with my dad about the bolt in the gearbox

• U shure the reverse worked on the other car? Sounds like some gears are messed up in the bellhousing, or perhaps the stick is hitting something underneath the car?

• @eda4c9c79c=SstennizZ:

U shure the reverse worked on the other car? Sounds like some gears are messed up in the bellhousing, or perhaps the stick is hitting something underneath the car?

Looked at that and all the linkage is where it should be, all we can figure is maybe reverse is shot in the box or its something to do with it being sloppy like the guides are fooked for the selector

• @709746cfd9=djmarcopolo:

@709746cfd9=SstennizZ:

U shure the reverse worked on the other car? Sounds like some gears are messed up in the bellhousing, or perhaps the stick is hitting something underneath the car?

Looked at that and all the linkage is where it should be, all we can figure is maybe reverse is shot in the box or its something to do with it being sloppy like the guides are fooked for the selector

Yeah that was my thought, but that couldnt have happened while dropping it in there..

• It came out of my car and was working fine when I took it out.

Has been stood for a few months, but can't see why that would cause any problems.

If you do end up putting your gearbox in, double check all the clutch gubbins just incase.

• How do you like the ZE power then? :D its alot of fun.

They should have fitted them as standard.

• Definately should have fitted as standard they are amazing

• Have you thought about taking gearbox off the K8 and sticking that on the ZE? Could save you loads of fault finding time? I know its a biggish job but sometimes…..................

• we talked about doing that before we put it in as it was daryls k8 gearbox so it may be coming out again next week :roll:

• do u not need to use differnt engine mounts?

have u tried putting into gear with the car off and started to see? obviously have the clutch pressed while starting lol

I had a car with a faulty 1st gear and that was the only way to get into it and work, no fun at lights

• Its just aluminium high temp paint I used ( so you can get yours painted up to match ) . I'd get it painted just in case.

• whether the car is running or not clutch in or out I have exactly the same outcome :cry:

• I read somewhere you have to put a tie through the open diff when removing transporting g series boxes. ? Can't see how that would affect reverse tho? Apart from that I'm stumpted ?, time to try new box :-(

Congrats and welcome to the world of the ze owners club !

• I do have the dropping gear lever problem but I now have a new mount to fit this weekend but it never affected it in the old one,
    I will be removing all the linkage and trying the box insitue to make sure it has the reverse gear or I can find it at all direct on the slector otherwise i think it will get a new box on it very soon, but its funny watching the wife push me into the drive everyday but its an arse when i have to go shopping or need to go anywhere

• Does the MX-3 have a 'lock out' on reverse so that you can't select it when in a forward gear? Could be stuck or something?

Can't remember if they do or not.

• dont know will try and find out

• See these boxes is there an extra ball thing for the rods? A saxo I was working on the day doing a clutch did put it on the wrong one and the gears were fecked

Has a spare for fuck knows what reason but the other gave it more movement but saying that u can get into 5th so must have enough

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB