Will a bigger exhaust cause me to lose power?

• Heya guys,

Im new to the forum & also a bit of a broke rookie when it comes to cars.
    Im wanting to upgrade my exhaust system on my 1993 Mazda Eunos 30x.
    Its the stock standard 1.8 v6 K series otherwise known as an Australian version of an MX3 as y'all already know.

The standard exhaust is the twin pipe muffler but i have an even bigger twin pipe muffler siting in storage.
    Im actually just wondering if i put the bigger muffler on will i lose power or gain it?

Im also wondering if it is actually worth getting a sports exhaust run through, im thinking itll increase hp but then again its pretty bloody zippy atm anyway. There are some ppl who say replace the catback with high flow or remove the 2nd catback.?. suggestions and or corrections on this would appreciated

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please be kind as im still learning :)

Cheers Kris :)

• welcome to the site

im using a 4inch sportex back box and i dont think its any slower but sounds great if thats any help

• Hi Jay,

Thanx for the weclome & the insight.
    hmmmm.
    so i should be ok then.
    Moneys tight, will letchu know how it goes when its done.

kewl thanx :)

• Heya, the more easily the engine can get rid of exhaust gases the better it is, need to get rid of the cat and that will help

remember the more BHP you want the more fuel its costs lol

• heey hang on, isnt it illegal to remove the cat tho, due to emissions n stuff?

Well ive done some little budget mods already.

*Got a lil thing called "the magic battery booster", its cool & it works. really just boost the battery power to full potential.

*Then i got a HKS air pressure regulator, which is also variable but u retard it & it runs like crap, advance it & she goes quite hard, improves the torque/takeoff very well me thinks. (but again as you said the more hp you get the more fuel u use & over here in OZ premium fuel is about $1.55+.)

*I just recently done an IAT mod (which actually works (smoothed out throttle) & its got an adjustable knob on it too), that was fun trying to get wiring diagrams because of the whole all in one iat/maf. lolz but i found one if anyone wants/needs it simplified for ppl like me.. (I hafta create a photobucket account first tho i think.)

Next I want to put in the powerchip Gold98 ($700, whichll boost me up to an extra:
    132+ of torque
    &
    152+ hp
    website: http://www.powerchipgroup.com/Datasheets/1/Maz0048.pdf

hp & torque converter here: http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/converter.htm

beautiful thing is, they'll fit it for me as well, downside is i gotta use the better/expen$ive fuel.

Unfortunately my car doesnt look too pretty from the outside, my 30x is red & when i bought it, the clear coat was starting to peel off & some parts of the paint were starting to fade.
    Ive waxed it up & washed it but paint starts to come off n shows when waxing fades, although ima try a cut n polish very soon.

Sorry for blabbering on…im just excited!!! :), i can repost this elsewhere in forum if needed.

:P - Kris :)

• This is now moved to discussion board as the old one is for saying G'day

I kind of flicked through that powerchip pdf but where does it go, it looks the same as the chip for the ford probe which is basically the same engine just a KLDE only it costs about $40 instead of $700 but do not know how they work with a K8 engine

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Probe-GT-Mazda-MX6-KLZE-Performance-Chip-93-95-/140416650359?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b17c0c77

The cat, just take it off and replace with a bit of pipe made to fit, that will give you more BHP dont know if it is illegal here but it will fail an MOt but only 4 bolts hold it so it takes 20 mins to put the cat back on but if you are worried about the enviroment stop using the car lol

• Errm… Dont forget the engine still needs backpressure..
    I've once fitted a single freeflow Invidia exhaust, and could actually feel that my torque had reduced. Now got the Remus and its back to normal.
    There's a whole article on the significance of backpressure on mx-3.com.

• well DJ MarcoPolo,

hmmmm it seems like the same thing to me.
    Anyways the powerchip from memory is actually supposed to be soldered into the ECU.
    Im not gunna buggerise around with that, thats what ima be paying em for. lolz

• As for chip, you should pm mazdarati. He has custom chips for all K series engines. Been running one for couple of years now.

• heya SstennizZ,

im assuming its the same as what we been talking about, the one that gets resoldered into ECU or is it a Plug n play?

There are so many different types its not funny.
    But if mazdarati has a better & cheaper alternative, im up for it. :)

The bigger question is tho as stoopid as it may sound… is it universal for country to county?

• @c9051b841b=kristo.green:

heya SstennizZ,

im assuming its the same as what we been talking about, the one that gets resoldered into ECU or is it a Plug n play?

There are so many different types its not funny.
    But if mazdarati has a better & cheaper alternative, im up for it. :)

The bigger question is tho as stoopid as it may sound… is it universal for country to county?

Yes it is and he provides it with a ICE socket, so you only have to solder that in, or let him do it for you, and then every chip is p&p..

• is there an easier way to find a member on here other than go thru the member list? :?

• Use the 'search' on menu, think the person you could be looking for could possibly be on the mx3.com(USA) site though

• Mazdarati is member 633 on here he only joined on march 22nd of this year and has only made a couple or so posts, tbh i think youll have more joy finding him on the other site..

For future ref when searching for a member and you know there username go to members list scroll down to the bottom and click on select sort method and choice username and then click sort, youll now have the members list sorted by name from a-z..

• @8aa0c6a790=Raines:

Mazdarati is member 633 on here he only joined on march 22nd of this year and has only made a couple or so posts, tbh i think youll have more joy finding him on the other site..

For future ref when searching for a member and you know there username go to members list scroll down to the bottom and click on select sort method and choice username and then click sort, youll now have the members list sorted by name from a-z..

That's actually him.. ;) He recently registered because I asked him to..

• Ive read someware before ur best getting the exhaust size to make the engine 2.0 2" 2.5 2.5"

a 2" pipe should be cool doesnt really matter about the tailpipe i dont think?

• Kewl, thanx guys, i found him :)

• i think ive got 2.5" coming out tailpipe atm but the spare tailpipe/muffler i have has a twin out of about 4" maybe 5".
    It sounds excessive but it looks pretty mean & wondering if its really worth putting on when iget exhaust done. :)

• so the 1.8lt ill need 1.8". pft, id me going prolly 2.5" i think if its not already. lolz

• Standard piping for the 1.8 is 2.25" iirc… Moving up to 2.5 shouldn't be too detrimental..

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB