MY v6 Failed its MOT…

• wicked, ill c wot i can do :)
    its got its MOT in a couple of weeks so hopefully itll get through that ok then i can sort out the body work.
    can any1 suggest a good cpu performance chip to use? n how hard r they to fit? n do they really make much difference????

• You cant chip an MX-3 unfortunately, its the old fashion way for all of us, but ask a few questions and we can point you towards getting the best from your car and then take the plunge like I just have and buy a KLZE engine for it :D

• glad i asked, ive seen websites sellin chips for the ecu (i know i said cpu, but i meant ecu prob same thing?) but there prob blags if u say they dont make em?
    that'll cost too much doin an engine swap especially wen u the cars only worth £500.
    ive put an induction kit on it but is there anythin else i can do to increase bhp? nothin expensive or to tricky to do…..

• @39a08e0887=ashwoodcorp:

glad i asked, ive seen websites sellin chips for the ecu (i know i said cpu, but i meant ecu prob same thing?) but there prob blags if u say they dont make em?
    that'll cost too much doin an engine swap especially wen u the cars only worth £500.
    ive put an induction kit on it but is there anythin else i can do to increase bhp? nothin expensive or to tricky to do…..

My car cost £90 that I bought as a non runner from a scrappy in bognor so yours for £500 is quite expensive lol.
    I suppose basic things to help BHP and running is plug leads + decent plugs, earthing kit, decent oil, decat the exhaust, stainless rear box, stainless headers and decent set of matching tyres all round help with the fuel

• I paid £470 for it last august in full working order. R reg '97, 77k on the clock, 8 months MOT, 4 months tax.
    All the electrics work except the central locking.
    It came with loads of service history n had recently had work done to it.
    Did I get ripped off?
    I'm sure it cost u a few quid to get it sorted?

• around £500 is a normal going rate for an mx3 so i dont think you got ripped off i payed 900 for my v6 with no tax but you can find some real bargins like djmaco's for £90

• Mine is a v6. Had a feeling I paid an ok price.
    It had an aftermarket back box on n an aftermarket steering wheel.
    Just put 4 new matching tyres on.
    Might get some spark leads.
    R the k & n oil filters any good?

• personly there is no differance just the cost you can get basic oil filter from ebay for about £3 all you pay for with the k&n oil filters is the name ive just got one for mine from my local parts dealer for £3.10 differant types of oil makes the differance

• I don't need 1 like, I seen em on eBay n thought id ask. Seen some spark leads for £63.50 is that a good price? Wud they make a difference?

• Just had a look at my spark leads n 2 of the chambers where the spark plugs r ave got engine oil in them. I've managed to clean the oil out of 1 of them but not the other. Am I in trouble????

• Either I need new piston rings or my cam cover gasket is knackered :(

• dont panic its only the cam cover gaskets its a common problem i had the same problem on both the v6 and 1.6

• Thank god 4 that. how much will that cost me to fix?
    Thanx 4 answering my questions

• Most V6's get oil down there, it can be a problem when it shorts the leads out and it starts to misfire but thats when it gets serious and its time to do it, the front is dead easy to do and the back is a little more tricky as you have to remove the inlet manifold off the top.

The kit for the rockers is £35 from probestore

Ignition leads I have and a few others on here have Kerr Nelson K1 leads from probestore they cost £85, its worth it over the standards with a good set of plugs

• Its running fine at the mo, only found the oil wen I went to check the spark plugs. The was oil in 1 of the front holes and in 1 of the holes in the back. My oil level is very low n guessin that's were its goin? I'll ave to take it a garage coz I haven't a clue how to sort out. I'll ave a look at the probestore website.
    Thanx once again

• With the V6 you will find they do drink a little oil every year it just gets by the rings a little but thats usual, the oil cant go anywhere in the plug holes, just top up every 3 months with oil and I would ignore the oil in the plug holes unless its absolutely full or you get a missfire, I have 3 of mine on the rear leaking and i have never got round to fixing it

• Its not pooled. Just a bit round the edges on the front but ive cleaned that out n the back 1 had a bit more oil in it, I've never checked em b4. Just panicked wen i seen the oil. I've not put any oil in it since I got it. Oops.

• I've put some oil in n its seems to b runnin fine now. There was a tappin sound but its stopped now.
    Struggling to get the back 3 plugs out. I need an extension 4 my ratchet.
    There's decent plugs r good 1s but might need replacing.
    It's Mot is due on the 13th.

• That is the first sign that your oil is getting low in these little V6's, one of the tappits gets a little noisy I guess its just struggling to get plenty of oil up to the top when you run them on the minimum mark

Good luck with the MOT, mine is on tuesday, if you havent done much to it the usual thing these fail on is brakes, I put all new pads all round last year for the MOT, checked them last week and found that the caliper had seized again and took all the lining off just one pad and was almost to the metal, so another set of pads in it now and loads of copper grease

• Good luck with ya MOT.
    It seems to b running good now.
    I'll prob need new pads coz I drive like a nutter.
    I've found the breaks to b a bit stiff recently, but i only drive it once a week so they prob seize up a bit after bein stood still.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB