Locking Wheel Nut Issues…

• Where can i get a bit to remove the locking nut on my 1998 mx3 ive gone to change the wheels and the locking nut socket isent there when i took the cover of the locking nut i noticed the locking nut has internal threads for the socket to fit into…Has anyone got one for sale

• you'll need some kind of
    locking wheel nut removal socket
    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=crnk_lssbd&xhr=t&q=locking+wheel+nut+removal&cp=20&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&biw=1002&bih=529&fp=c917d54c7f71bc48

most of them are for use with impact wrenchs though I think,
    so you'll bet best will be to ask a local freindly garage
    if they can remove it for you?!

• Yeah i have asked a few garages but they dont have the correct bit. i just bought 4 wheels of here last week and the guy i bought the car from assuared me the locking bit was the correct fitting. Flaimin liar lol im searching all over for the bit i neen. if i cant get it the cars being sold as spares…...

• there is another option that involves
    hammering on undersize socket and using
    a breaker bar, give the breaker bar a sharp
    smack with a hammer to shock it off without
    trying to slip too much, if you do all the other bolts
    up really tight, the locker should have more play in it!

Disclaimer> its a risky one that though.

maybe try phoning kwikfit or some tyre places, they might
    have the right equipmet to remove it?

• I should have paid you to do it the night i bought the wheels of you. it would have been easier lol….There is an internal tread tot he locking nut with the outside being round

• you bought wheels from me?! wich ones?lol

you can buy removal tools meant for internal ones,
    but again impact wrench is recommended.

another method is to weld a nut onto the locking wheel
    nut and remove use the welded on nut.

• Another more vicious way to get them off is sacrifice a socket and just beat it on with a hammer until its solid, undo it then knock the nut out through the hole in the top of the socket, its rough but can work

• @ab0f00f1da=djmarcopolo:

Another more vicious way to get them off is sacrifice a socket and just beat it on with a hammer until its solid, undo it then knock the nut out through the hole in the top of the socket, its rough but can work

Thats how I did it on my old car, does pretty much ruin the sockets mind.

• Im not familiar with the kind of nut your talking about, but if what I think your describing is right, you could buy a bolt that matches the size and pitch of the internal threads, then put a nut on that bolt, tighten the bolt into the locking nut, then tighten the nut (the one thats already on the bolt) down onto the locking nut, that should lock the two together and allow removal. Out of curiosity, does anyone have a picture of said locking bolt? Never seen one with threads that you use to remove it, normally its just a variation on the outer of the nut

• hes probalbly talking about threads like this:
    http://www.carnoisseurdirect.com/Mcgard-Locking-Wheel-Nuts/bolts

• michaelk1….Do you happen to have bk alloys fitted on the car at the moment by any chance....?????

Also could i suggest to help a pic of the offending wheel nut so were more aware of its look and can prob offer better advice...

• @dd714889ec=Rainmaker:

Also could i suggest to help a pic of the offending wheel nut so were more aware of its look and can prob offer better advice…

Yes that would definately help as what I thought it was, it isnt, now seems to be a normal security nut, but without knowing its profile its impossible to know if anyone has one. Also, were abouts are you, anyone who has one may be happy to lend you one.

• This is probably the best and cheapest option, its a pair of locking wheel nut remover sockets, just put it on your socket set or even better a powerbar and then wind the nut like you are undoing it, inside these sockets is a tapered reverse thread so the more you undo the nut the tighter these go onto it until the stop and the locking wheel nut starts to undo and then when its off just use a pipe wrench or something to get the nut out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LASER-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUT-REMOVER-GREAT-PRICE-LOOK-/120697113592?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c1a1bcbf8

• Wonder how many thieves that guy has on his feedback :)

• Thanks for all the advice, sorry i couldent get back to you sooner…my laptop had a drink of coke and it strangley went blank ........The wheel nuts i was talking about were round with a quarter ince hole in the middle of the nut which was threaded. Noone seemed to have a tool to remove them. I called into a garage in Ilkenson where i work and he had them off in seconds and 4 wheels put on he realised one of the tyres was on in the wrong direction....All said and done he changed the tyre direction and the wheel nuts for a whopping £15 quid.....I almost dropped at his feet i was expecting a hell of a lot more to be honest . Again thanks to you all for your time and advice. Kind Regards Michael

• Glad to hear youve sorted it all now, and what a bargin too £15…

Just out of interest do you still have the offending wheel nuts if so how about a pics of the problem ...ie so we all can avoid this dreaded nut..

• Yes come on show us a picture of your nuts !!

• I dident keep the nuts but ill ask him on mondy s im leaving the car back in agin for new discs nd brakes…I only bought this car as a stop gap while my own was being fixed and ive now sold my saab and i love driving the mx3 its not bd on fuel either....I need a new interier if theres one going anywhere

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB