Lifting support, Jacks or Ramps?

• Just wondering what people were using to get under their cars.

I cant find any ramps that are wide enough, all of them seem to be 170-180mm track width, even the extra wide ones are only 200mm, which would still allow 5mm over hang, that would require perfect alignment of the wheels and precise driving, wouldnt really inspire me with confidence working underneith.

As for jack stands, theyre cheap, but they still collapse, would get a set rated much higher than the weight of the car, but even so, they could still fall sideways if not perfectly level.

• i use a trolly jack or jack stands jus put some spare wheels under the cills so if it dose fall it will fall ant the wheels and dosent crush you

• I use a big trolley jack, lift the whole of one side up and slide large wooden blocks under the wheels and do the same the other side, gives me at least an extra 12" which is perfect :D

• Trolley jack and axle stands work fine for me all the time. If the car falls on my head it's only my head so not much to damage :lol: I'd rather the car fall on my face rather than damage my wheels.

• @21c1f8482b=nightstalker:

Trolley jack and axle stands work fine for me all the time. If the car falls on my head it's only my head so not much to damage :lol: I'd rather the car fall on my face rather than damage my wheels.

lol

wooden blocks, that gives me an idea

• like it, that aint going anywhere! Now to find myself a big slab o' wood

• GET A LOAD OF 6X4 AND SOME 6" NAILS THATS GOING NOWHERE

• 6X4 IS TOO SMALL, MY TYRES ARE 8" WIDE, BUT WHY WOULD I WANT NAILS IN A PIECE OF WOOD THATS UNDER MY TYRES?

• I usually put axle stands under the front subframe
    just were the wishbone mounts up at the widest point
    is fine, not keen on using stands on the sills and working
    underneath!

I seriousl;y need a low entry trolley jack now as the OE scissor
    jack is frikin hard work pulling the car up from that low :lol:

• Yeah putting axle stands under the sills isnt something I felt comfortable with, just doesnt look like itll take the weight, I know its designed to but it just doesnt look like it if you know what I mean. Its sorted now, just been to local saw mills, I has a brand new railway sleeper!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB