1994 v6 with a de cat pipe!!!

• hi guys.
    does anybody know if a de cat pipe will fail an mot????
    i got my 1994 v6 recently and the previous owner had installed a decat axhaust system and told me it was fine for mot. however i have since been told by more than one person that a decat systemis only legal on cars up to 1993!!!!
    does anyone have a definitive answer please as i'd rather not fork out for a new system but on the other hand i dont want to have my collar felt by the rozzers!!!!!
    thanks

• Yes and no, there is no requirement to physically have a cat however if your car is as you say after 1993 then you are going to be subject to stricter emmisions testing. As long as you meet those you are fine. The mx3 has a good egr system so you shouldn't have problem as long as all you sensors are functioning correctly and engine is sound.

• If I were you, I'd buy an old/new cat and stick it on when your MOT comes up, then go back to decat afterwards! :)

• Never had any bother with mine, and they are pretty anal about things over here. Mine is a 95, passed no problems with KLZE, with supercharger, no EGR. Unless your engine has other problems it should be fine.

• EGR wot is this egr of which u speak. mine was completely removed lol :P

• EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. I will copy and paste from google

The Bottom Line
    The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.

Honestly, you do not need an egr valve and all it does is restrict your engine and it will get blocked at some point. blank it off or remove it lol (this was the reccomendation from a local garage when i owned my mondeo)

• Kami was taking the Micky. Us 2.5 crew don't use the egr system as it's frees up more power!!

• thanks for the help everyone,
    from the sounds of things it should be ok when mot comes around in may as apart from the water pump slowly leaking at the moment the engine runs sweet as a nut.
    so i'll try and put it through an mot as it is and let you all know later what happens!!!
    cheers

• Just so you know it does state in MOT regs that any car registered after april 1994 MUST be fitted with a cat.

I did the homework on mine when I decatted recently and my dad asked his MOT guy and he agreed

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB