Insurance dilemma!

• I'm trying to insure my red mx3 after fixing it up and doing the MOT.

I'm having real trouble getting a sensible quote. Here are the stats:

I have 5yrs NCB on my black car policy
    I have 1yrs NCB on my dads volvo

The red car has:
    alloy wheels
    -40mm
    SS cat back
    Toad cat 2 alarm
    Miles will be less than 4000 annually
    Apparently it's coming up as an SE on the insurance DB

My best quote has been £867

I insure my ridiculously modified black car for £500ish

I can only drive one car at a time, so seriously WTF?!

Anyone any advice on what to do? I may consider putting it back to standard just to get it insured. Otherwise it's getting parted out or sold.

Cheers,
    Marc

• Is the red one insured through the same company as black one ? I was with sky insurance and they mirrored my no claims. So I had 9 on my mx but only 2 on my focus but they count the 9 on both so focus is 500 odd and Mazda is 400 odd.
    Try and wack the voluntary excess up usually makes a big difference just bigger risk for you.
    Can you not use 1 years from dads Volvo ?

• hi,

call direct line, sky and try admiral multi car, from my experience ive found they give the best prices!

• i had a similar problem with direct line, they said it was se but argued it isnt and they agreed to insure me as a regular mx-3 v6 1.8….

• Because you live in northern ireland that postcode buttf*cks you immediately with standard UK insurers.

standard insurance companies do hate modifications so theres a couple of ways to go

Pay it and lump it :evil:

Tell them its standard, take out fully comp insurance, if you have an accident they will pay out to the other party but not on yours for not declaring it was modified and keep a set of standard wheels and rear box so if its just a small accident then put them on and the assesor will only take photos for their records and outside it looks fine.

Register yourself as limited company and buy trade insurance so you are fully comp on anything with an MOT and TAX and you can register one car as a daily drive

• Are these quotes online Marco?
    You got to tell em its not an SE?

workamte of mine has just voided his insurance after a prang as the insurance company incorrectly got a 1.6 the 2.0GTI16 MR2 number plate details his car actually is!
    …silly boy didnt check his paperwork though :(

• Thanks for all the advice guys. Those were on the phone.

I've since tried admiral and elephant, now at moderately more sensible £550 ish with no NCB used on them. So not bad!
    Lowering 40mm costs me £70
    SS Exhaust £20
    Non Standard alloys £20
    Spoiler -£20 lol yes minus £20, so I'll be putting that on.
    Air filter no change

About £100 for all the mods declared

NI sure gets shafted alright, but it's worse down in Mexico!

• have you tried adrian flux they good for modified cars and skyinsurance are good too limited miles brings it down too

• I can't believe people delare all mods, lowering 40mm, its hardly noticed, I've put 40mm lowering springs on my bmw, have I declared it? NO. You have got to be in a proper serious amount of shit/accident, to get done for that, I've always modded most cars I have had, never declared any of them, I put my 309 gti on its roof, never questioned, every person I know who mods cars never declares, personally I'd just say its standard and if there is modified issues, act dumb and say you bought it like it

• Hmm well, I'm probably of a more paranoid mind set than you! Over here they have checkpoints sometimes. These aren't your average checkpoints. They are mobile car lifts where they lift up your car, check your suspension for cut springs and for lowering and check it matches what mods are on your insurance.

• @bd0416d8f0=mx3gulf:

I can't believe people delare all mods, lowering 40mm, its hardly noticed, I've put 40mm lowering springs on my bmw, have I declared it? NO. You have got to be in a proper serious amount of shit/accident, to get done for that, I've always modded most cars I have had, never declared any of them, I put my 309 gti on its roof, never questioned, every person I know who mods cars never declares, personally I'd just say its standard and if there is modified issues, act dumb and say you bought it like it

ive just change my insurance from my 1.6 to the v6 and i declared the lowering springs, induction kit and ally wheels and it was £200 cheaper than if it was a stock v6
    this is with adrian flux. if you ask for a quote and ask with and witout mods and with some comanies you'll be surprized that with mods its cheaper

• Insurance is a pain in the arse FACT. All I can say is thank god for my part time traders policy. Ive got my KTM, 3 monkeybikes, MX3 & MX5 all insured for £360 PA 3rd party, I hear the insurance companies are on about raising policies again because of all the snow, any excuse in this god forsaken country, Marco, can't believe the old bill pull cars over in NI to that extreme, obviously they have far less important things to do eh?!! Do they have a qualified mechanic with them? as the police make me laugh over here as they always think they know more about cars than most people

• Got the same, spent the day trying to find a quote, £1300 last year TPFF…. this year cheapest I can get is £1800..

Someone really needs to sort out the insurance in this country, I can understand why people drive without it.

• At least being old has some advantages!! £1800?? Ouch!! Feel sorry for you younger drivers, I moan about having to pay £230 a year for my BMW, motoring is this country is fast becoming a luxury not necessity

• Younger.. I'm 29. :(

• Im 25 :(, my insurance is only 1380 a year TPFF paying in installments, was £1050 if paid outright, thats having 0 months of experience with 0 months of having a license, i have 1 years ncd though, who are you with? im admiral, well, not me, im james, but my insurance is admiral

• 29, 3 points, 1 crash (not my fault) was witht eh jap import.

Was with Ecar last year for 1300 TPFF.

• 36 no points - one accident not my fault but still get punished for it
    Fully comp with all extras £420 with Esure

thats up £90 because some biatch took my mirror off I had to chase her as she made a run for it in her clio and I ended up not bothering to claim because I had to by a new mirror for the MOT the following week and the insurance could not get their heads around the fact I had repaired it already for the MOT and just wanted paying direct.

• Epic win

Admiral £702.17
    Elephant £705.35
    Bell Insurance £713.83

And all I had to do was take them at their word.

How many years have you held your license.. Since I was 20. it doesn't say how many years have you held your FULL license.

License is upgraded according to the Gov website so it's still the same license :)

• Admiral and Elephant are 1 and the same company… I called Admiral when my renewal was due and told them I had a cheaper quote from Elephant... the op said to me that Elephant is their sister company, and will match that quote...

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB