Jono's KLZE Project - Turbo Build Begins

• Nice one mate, definately keep us posted.

I've just bought another mx-3 with exactly the same purpose - struggling to source the engine at the moment though! Got the car (black '94 v6 with old style half-leather interior - my fave) for £250 with 80k on the clock, driveable but with oil leaks. Seemed perfect for the job.

What was the est. mileage on your ZE? £750 seems pretty expensive compared to the $600 most Americans and Canadians are paying, but that's the price we pay for living in good ol' Britain I guess.

Be sure to take loads of photos of the swap - I'm itching to see how it goes, also planning to do it myself with my mate who's a full-time mechanic.

Good luck!

• admin

They told me it should be under 25K, i have had the cam covers off and they look like they have hardly been used (Very good condition)

Was quite good gettin it from nippon spares, as I dont live that far from them I went down there when they got them in, picked the best one out of 3, swapped some bits that were better on the other ones (travel damage) and got free delivery via my dads van! lol

Jono

• I have to say Jono, the car seems to be in bloody good condition for a '94.
    Has it been re-sprayed or just very well waxed?

• admin

It only had 2 owners before me, both of them took very good care of it!

There is no evidence of a respray, and some of the car was starting to fade when I got it, so I gave it a good T-Cutting and that made a BIG difference!!

On another note: Insurance

If anyone is thinking of doing the swap or even as far as I plan with a Turbo, I highly recommend speaking to Adrian Flux for insurance.

They quoted me half what I payed last year with my old insurer, plus the company they put me with allow any mod, and only charge you £25 a time if you declare, so for me it will be: Standard - KLZE - Turbo, it will cost me the £50 + any change to premium, which is only about £200 with the ZE & Turbo!!!

As I am a young driver this makes a massive difference to how much I fork out each year - Well Pleased! :D

Jono

• When you say young driver, what do you mean?
    I'm 22, 3 points on my license, live in a very low crime rate area and my insurance cover won't let me change anything performance wise.
    how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

• admin

im 21,

Have a look at their web site, it explains all:

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk

Jono

• I'm already with Adrian Flux (am 23, one month away from first NCB) and they've been really good so far, best quote by far, but I was skeptical about the engine change.

I was kind of considering not telling them as I anticipated it going up by about 600, but if you're saying it's only 200ish extra with ZE and a turbo, then I'll definitely declare it.

They're not so good with non-sporty cars though. When I crashed my MX-3 I got a little diesel 205 as a run around in the meantime, and changing the policy from the MX-3 V6 (paid upfront) and when I changed the policy over to the 205 with about 6 months left, I only got £150 back. Bloody rip-off considering I'd paid 1700 for the policy.

So yeah conclusion; Adrian Flux are spot on for modded motors, but shit for regular runarounds.

• admin

Ok, I have been getting the ZE ready for a few weeks now, and most parts are on order for the swap!

Over the last 6 weekends I have been working on the IM - Polishing, which has been a real pain!

Now I have painted the cam covers:

Rear Cam Cover:

Front Cam Cover: (Before)

Front Cam Cover (After - Some Letters need to be touched up as they got of blue on them)

Inlet Manifold: (Nearly Finished Polish & Before Paint)

Hopefully tonight I should be able to finish the IM and get everything back onto the engine, then…. I should be able to get the ZE swapped in the next few weeks :D

Jono

• Nice work buddy, sanding the Inlet is a pain but worth it.

• Looking tasty mate, bet you're excited as fook.

• thats it im saving for a klze!!!

• admin

Yep, cant wait!!

If all goes to plan I should be swapping weekend after next! :twisted:

I got most of the stuff back on last night, just gota do a few bits to the IM tonight and then all I have to do is wait for my clutch & brakes.

Jono

• There is a K series UD pulley on ebay for £30 and £12 delivery!
    LINK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-MX3-1-8L-UNDERDRIVE-PULLEY-2-5L-PROBE-626-MX6_W0QQitemZ150109776107QQcategoryZ52640QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get it, 5 Bhp extra due to less rotational friction from underdriving auxilliarys…You will need a shorter belt for the Power steering and Alternator from Halfords but for a cost of £50 for it all its a sweet mod...

Also try and stretch for a Fidenza flywheel, they aint cheap but if you want rapid accel its a little help!

• admin

Ahh Man!!! Dont do this too me! lol

Not sure if I can afford it with the bumper aswell!!!

Can it be done after the swap - I assume the motor would need to be pulled again?

Luckly my fiancee has just bought a new car so I can "borrow" that if me MX-3 is off the road now! HAHAHA

As for the flywheel I was thinking about it, but decided to keep the K8 one as I want the car to be a comfort everyday drive - cant be assed to have it keep dropping revs when idle!!

BTW: The ZE is all back together now - will post some pics l8r

Jono

• admin

Pic as promised!!!

:twisted:

Jono

• phwoar!lookin beautiful mate:D

• admin

BTW: The blue has come out a little light with the flash, have a look a few posts above (on page 1) for the full effect of the front cam cover.

Anyone notice the VRIS valves? 8)

Jono

• Looks sweet, id deffo try and do the flywheel and UD pulley whilst the engines out as the UD pulley needs minor grinding of the ally block near the crank…

• admin

Ok, I have decided to leave the pully for now!!

Tommy, I might be down Looe sometime this month for my cousins 18th. :D

Looks like my parts will arrive tuesday & wednesday - so all I need now is the various oils & fluids & replacement belts and im ready for the swap - all going well I should do it next weekend!!

Jono

• admin

Brakes have arrived :D

Black Diamond - Drilled & Grooved disks all round. (Black Diamond Predator Pads AR too)

Just waiting for the clutch - if that arrives by friday then the ZE is goin in baby!!! :twisted:

Jono

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB