Owners manual translation

• Hi - I have a Japanese owners manual for my 1994 mx3 1.5 - great but even after 6 years I can't follow it. If anyone has one in English could they look up the section on the red dash light that says 'heat' and let me know what this light refers to? would appreciate it - cheers - Guy

• red heat light, not looked it up but im pretty sure its indicating a temp problem, is your fan working ok and stuff???? check your oil levels, and usual drills and see if anything there sorts it, then reset your ECU, and see if light goes out…. could be an old problem thats sortted its self but the ECU hasnt been reset or sortted to say it has

• Hi - thanks for the note. I have checked everything and its all sweet. It has started after the ignition module was replaced (the second mine has gone through in the 6 years I have had it). The car is now running as usual - i.e. very well, althouhg I am not driving it until I sort this. The lamp comes on with the ignition and stays on. How do you reset the ECU?

The jap manual I got with the car has a good paragraph I can't read on this lamp - do you have a manual? I know I am probably asking a lot but could you have a look and let me know what it says? - no worries either way
    I'll follow your other suggestions as well. Thanks for your help!

cheers

• ok reset your ECU by Diconnecting the Live from the battery and then pressing the brake for 10-15secs then reconnect live, ill have a manual in about 3 days just bought one along with my wheel bearing so once they arrive if no-one else has helped ill look it up for ya

• Hi - thats not something that would be discovered by accident (resetting the ECU) - I'll give it a try. Thanks very much for your help - cheers

• i normally just disconnected the battery for 1hr or so but, was told in another post by another member to press the brake, which in logical thinking means the juice left in the car after the live is disconnected will be drained quicker and this is wot keeps the ECU programmed, resetting it will take it back to farctory and will take a week or so to relearn all mods installed, but also mean its gonna pick up a deffo fault, or its gonna show that the old fault is fixed

• Hi - did you ever get that info on the 'heat' lamp? - would sure appreciate knowing what it indicates - cheers

• @4844590f30=Guy:

Hi - I have a Japanese owners manual for my 1994 mx3 1.5 - great but even after 6 years I can't follow it. If anyone has one in English could they look up the section on the red dash light that says 'heat' and let me know what this light refers to? would appreciate it - cheers - Guy

The heat light is to do with either the cat or O2 sensors… I'm not sure which. If you look closely, the symbol on the light looks a little like a cat.

We have an MX6 owner with the same issue, pulled the codes and he's got an O2 sensor out.

However, jspecs often have an extra sensor of some kind on the cat itself. Some say it's a 3rd O2 sensor and some say it's not. But there's no code for that particular one.

Pull your codes and see if you have an O2 sensor out, replace and clear the codes, see if that does the trick.

The only other thing I can suggest is replacing the cat, as I can't find any mention of this 3rd sensor anywhere. But finding a cat for a jspec MX3 might be hard, don't bother with Mazda as they told me a UK cat was around £350, but buyerpartsbuy sell them for £45+VAT, they also list a jspec MX6 import cat for £125+vat

It's worth noting that UK cars do not have this warning light, because Japanese emissions are even stricter than ours. So a UK manual is probably not going to be of any use.

• ive got a manual from the internet but i cant remember where.

anyway… ive had a look and the uk spec has a temp light that is wired to the water temp sender unit, where ever that is. but i cant see heat. i got the manual thru mx3.com forums. do a search se what you can find.

• A UK manual will be no good, nor will a US manual. Only a direct translation of the Japanese manual is going to help as that was the only market to have this particular sensor.

• Thought I would come back and update you on this thread as I did some extensive research on the 'Heat' light for an MX6 import owner… plus I own an import MX6 of my own.

All of this relates specifically to the MX6 imports and the information was sourced through Mazda Japan. I see no reason that the MX3 would be radically different.

The heat light relates to a 3rd sensor fixed to the CAT, it is NOT a 3rd O2 sensor as some would claim. It is simply a heat sensor to make sure the cat is operating at the correct temp. 99% of the time when this light comes on, it is because the sensor itself has failed, it does not usually mean the cat has failed. If the car has good emissions and is not showing any engine codes, then the sensor has failed. This sensor does not show up as an engine code. This sensor is simply a requirement for Japanese cars.

You can quite happily disconnect the sensor, unplug the wiring and the heat light will go out. I have done this, as have other import MX6 owners and none have suffered any negative effects at all.

In fact I removed the jspec cat entirely as it's a little smaller than a UK spec one, I then fitted a higher flowing cat in it's place.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB