Arrrggghhh!! Running Issues….

• I started her up today and she just revved up and conked out.. oil level is fine and she drove fine last night.. will drive if revs are kept up but its a little bit 'lumpy' :cry:

I'm no mechanic so any help/advice would be much appreciated!

• Oh and I noticed there's engine oil in the front left spark plug (as you look at the engine) but its been like that about a week.. not good either way :roll:

• After a quick google I thought I'd check the intake pipes to see if there were any splits/cracks and the little pipe that goes down besides the airbox had a split in the end so I assume the engine wasn't sensing a vacuum?! After some pvc tape bodge repair she's fine lol :oops:

Some pics to illustrate..

Dodgy repair :lol:

Where it goes..

The silver gaffer tape was done by the previous owner and not me, he split the piping when fitting the air filter.. god knows how but he did!

If anyone has a decent spare kicking about of either the main piping where the silver tape is and/or the plastic pipe I just repaired I'd appreciate it being sent this way.. 8)

• Common problem with the Mx3 intake pipes. Especially the concertina one you have taped up. Happened on mine.

The Probe Store now have Induction kits back in stock. I purchased one the other day. Works a treat! :)

• Well I'm glad it isn't just my crusty ol' rice burner hehe!! Funds are tight atm hence me asking if anyone has some spare piping kicking about..

Still concerned about the oil in the spark plug, all the others are dry as a whistle..

• well done on the fix. As said common problem with those concertina hoses!

Was oil on top of the spark plug/on the HT lead? as long as it's not in the combustion chamber (as in you took the plug out and it was oily at the electrode). If it's only in the front left it may have been a careless oil top up as it's beside the filler. If it's more than one it's more than likely the valve cover gaskets going. They're easy enough to do (first real job I did on mine) and cheap too.

• @e4e0d78112=Marco:

well done on the fix. As said common problem with those concertina hoses!

Was oil on top of the spark plug/on the HT lead? as long as it's not in the combustion chamber (as in you took the plug out and it was oily at the electrode). If it's only in the front left it may have been a careless oil top up as it's beside the filler. If it's more than one it's more than likely the valve cover gaskets going. They're easy enough to do (first real job I did on mine) and cheap too.

I daren't remove the spark plug in question incase the oil goes somewhere else and causes more havoc.. or will this not cause a problem?? Not sure how it got there and since topping the oil up I've noticed the 'fresh' oil has gone in there..

Oh and I was careful topping up and wasn't spilt in there by myself!! :)

• @abe74eb813=L330wnz:

@abe74eb813=Marco:

well done on the fix. As said common problem with those concertina hoses!

I daren't remove the spark plug in question incase the oil goes somewhere else and causes more havoc.. or will this not cause a problem?? Not sure how it got there and since topping the oil up I've noticed the 'fresh' oil has gone in there..

Oh and I was careful topping up and wasn't spilt in there by myself!! :)

looks like you just answered your own question "fresh oil has gone in there"

Just need to take of your valve cover and replace the gasket like marco said its not too bad, the rear is a nightmare to get to though so your lucky that one is ok.

You could take the ht lead out and get a rag on a screwdriver down there, mop it all up and wait and see what happens just to double check.

• Come on I'm a beginner with engines! :lol:

I think I'll try mopping it up 1st before removing the valve cover.. cheers for ya help guys!

• Hey everyone is a beginner till they try, i was a beginner a year or two ago, still not the best but you only learn by trying. Maybe after the mopping and checking just take the cover off and have a look then when your more confident have a go at it. The gasket is just the rubber seal that makes the cover fit flush/tight to the box below.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

lol :D

• its easy enought to do bud undo bolts take out 1 out new 1 in some silcon around the edges stick cover back on tada :D should take u no longer than an hour to do

This is what u need

http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=51_74&products_id=1626

the rear bank is a bit more tricky though ;)

when putting the case back on swing the ratchet round until u need to put pressure on to tighten more give it 3/4 of a turn shout be tight enough 8)

• Nice one! Will have to wait til my money tree sprouts some dollar and I'll get it done! :lol:

• Please resize your pics to 800x600…

• No

• Shame, I sold 3 of those induction pipes on ebay last month at £19.99 each

Worth doing to make sure it doesnt just split in half one day, mine did and I had to get it towed home because no amount of tape will hold it together again.

The oil in the plug socket is another standard fault on the V6, the oil seals die due to the heat there, its a case of taking the rockers off and putting a new set of seals in, it wont damage the engine if you take the plugs out to swap as the oil will just burn off when you start it up.
    It doesnt hurt and wont interfere with the engine but its a job to do at some point.
    I have a spare engine I am removing the rockers and inlet maniflod from then getting them polished or maybe chromed and then swapping them with mine and doing the seals at the same time, its just a time consuming job.

• sounds very gay and gross!!, but i remember James May on Top gear saying he uses tampons for exactely this job, did think at the time umm good idea lol !! :D

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB