BHP loss

• Does anyone know how much bhp on average a car loses each year. I've taken a wild stab at 3 per year, meaning I only have 69 bhp left to play with lol.

• **It won't necessarily lose any. Keep it properly maintained and you're liable to see as much power and torque as it shipped with.

Case in point - my friend has a 406 V6 coupe, pre-update. 194hp by the books and, 12 years later, 196hp by the dyno.

Though of course the car might not actually ship with the power/torque figures the manufacturer says. My brother and several acquaintances with the same car got together and had a dyno day with not one car older than 6 months. The car was rated at 320hp/320lbft - only three of the twelve cars tested had more than 300hp and only one had more than 300lbft. None hit 320 for either…

For ballparking, go for 2% a year (and remember that it's subtractive - you lose 2% of the initial figure after the first year, 2% of the 1st year figure after the second year and so on). A 12 year old car would have about 77% of its original power - but it's a very agricultural method.**

• @d863aeaf10=Famine:

It won't necessarily lose any. Keep it properly maintained and you're liable to see as much power and torque as it shipped with.

That's assuming the car was treated well over the years, with cars as old as ours it's hard to know how they were treated and what sort of service regime they were in with the previous owners, I'm sure your friends 406 was well maintained and didn't have hugely high milage.

• @c2b4bb95f1=Ryan:

@c2b4bb95f1=Famine:

It won't necessarily lose any. Keep it properly maintained and you're liable to see as much power and torque as it shipped with.

That's assuming the car was treated well over the years, with cars as old as ours it's hard to know how they were treated and what sort of service regime they were in with the previous owners, I'm sure your friends 406 was well maintained and didn't have hugely high milage.

**Hence "keep it properly maintained". Though his isn't :lol:

There's no real rule for this - the only way to know for sure how much power your car has lost is to dyno it and there's no detectable reason why it would have lost or gained (or neither) any power.**

• My Audi S4 left the factory (supposedly) with 261 hp.

It went on the dyno a few weeks ago at 140,000 miles and rocked out 280 hp. No mods, and service only maintainance as far as I can tell.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB