Sunroof

• My sunroof is broken, Thinking its off the runners, does anyone have a guide on how to take them out when there closed?

• Does it make a noise when you push the button or is it silent when you try to open

Silent = fuse gone or electrical fault / motor gone

Makes whirring noise but does not open =

Try pushing the back end up as you open if this works its just sticking
    Grease the tracks fully with silicone grease and put some around the rubber strip on the edge of the roof panel. the heat has made your rubber sticky

If its just making a whirring noise, was it slow before it broke, this is a good sign its just run out of grease, its hard for these to come out of their tracks because of their design, it could be the bearings have broken that they run on in the track and there is plastic jamming it from opening.

To get to it, take the plastic panels off either side of the windscreen, the visors, handles and interior light and then the rear plastic panels this will allow you to drop the headlining and gain access to everything

• Must be the plastics, Its working sometimes goes back but jams, will do the headlining thing some time i have time

• sounds like something in the runner, ort it could be the mechanism. the sunroof runs backwards and is powered by a big thread like a bolt that turns and the sunroof moves along that it could be damaged or something jammed in that

• hopefully jamed, wont ho back it goes up though

• Posted this on the US forum

Sunroof motor is in the roof at the back, there is a small round "plug" you can remove from the carpet up there, thats the manual turning cog for the sunroof (so you can close/open it without power) it's attached to the motor.

Remove the back roof carpet, and you should see it, it's held on by 3 screws.

Long post is long:

Sunroof works off 3 main things.

1. Motor
    2. Springy things
    3. Runners

The motor connects to the springy things via a cog just to the right of the manual turning cog, thats it.

The motor turns aprox 1/2 rotation for every 1/4 or so that the sunroof moves, IE motor moves faster then the soonroof moves forwards or backwards.

The connection between the Motor to Springy things is s–-, pure s---, the design is flawed, any ware on the cog or springs and you get one side moves faster then the other, or just clicks and won't move at all, this isn't the runners it's that connection.

The kicker is you can't get to the fracking thing without removing the whole damn unit off the car, that means ripping the roof carpet or whatever it is off as well. (oh and it's also upside fracking down)

The way you can temp fix the issue is this:

Rip the damn thing from the car.

Follow the manual on how to remove the top plate. (See bottom)
    Remove the the copper and silver coloured pipes that protect the springy things
    Remove the runners from the sunroof unit.
    Remove everything that slides off teh back of the runners, making note on 2 things:

1 - Little red plastic protectors (Bastards when you lose them)
    2 - What damn order they go in

Clean everything and I mean everything, springy things with a toothbrush (not yours) style of clean

Put everything back together BUT install the springs backwards so the ware is on the side thats not touched by the motor!

I did this last weekend and it look me (Zero technical brains) 6 damn hours but the soonroof now works like a charm.

Warning: - There are lots of them red plastic cover things, and they get covered in oil and gresse so they end up black, keep an eye out for em, you lose 1 and it won't run right.

The top plate stays on until you get the back of the runners undone (You will see it better then I can say when it's off teh car) it also stresses the plastic mounts a lot trying to get everything off in sync with the other side guide runners.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB