Engine flush

• Hi guys , me again

Had to have my car looked at as was very jumpy and had a very dirty plug, was told I might benifit from an engine flush and put in a engine treatment and new oil, is it easy to do a flush or am i best booking it in somewhere and do you think this engine treatment is any good think he means wynns ?

Thanks for any feedback guys

• Engine treatmen is simple…put it in, run car for abit. drain oil, put new in.

• @4277d08093=Mini-me:

Hi guys , me again

Had to have my car looked at as was very jumpy and had a very dirty plug, was told I might benifit from an engine flush and put in a engine treatment and new oil, is it easy to do a flush or am i best booking it in somewhere and do you think this engine treatment is any good think he means wynns ?

Thanks for any feedback guys

If you're doing it yourself then check Opie oils in commercial/vendor section. They are offering big discounts for uk-mx3 members. :)

• I would NEVER put engine flush in a car, NEVER!!!

It can cause all knids of problems.

What exactly is wrong with the car?

If your going to give it a service then give it a good service:

Spark plugs (gap them yourself too)
    Check the resistence on all your ignition leads and if there no good buy a new set or scrapyard for some ( i piad £5 in a scrapyard for a £150 set of leads that were in perfect order )
    Replace dizzy rotor if it looks knackered
    oil filter
    fuel filter
    air filter
    Fully synthetic 5w30 oil (form a decent brand)
    You can throw in a cleaning additive if you like but NOT ENGINE FLUSH its too harsh (just google it to see the peoblems it can cause), tappet cleaner (from wynns, the one in the can) seems ok used it before with no problems, but I'd rather just put good oil in it.
    I bought a car with really bad oil once and drained it, throw in some cheap oil and Tappet cleaner run it for a few days, drain it and put in decent oil
    Give the radiator a flush out with a hose pipe (its easy to take off, just 4 bolts and 2 clips)
    Remove the thermostat, flush out the engines waterways with hose (low pressure) fit new thermostat.

• @17cf4c4508=ukmx3admin:

I would NEVER put engine flush in a car, NEVER!!!

It can cause all knids of problems.

I would have to agree, you get a certain amount of flush still left in the engine once drained. It sits in all the castings etc.

• Had a really dirty plug and was told my engine was burning some oil so to try a wynns engine treatment which they claim helps cut this down, so would you say just add a treatment ?
    Sorry but i do know nothing about cars

Jane

• Personally i would run car up, then dump oil out refill then drive for 15-20 minuets then dump again then put fresh oil in.

In effect two oil changes only cost a little bit more and gets rid of all the nasty deposits. Wynns treatments do help but i would stick it in new oil.

• If you are having a serious engine flush then installing one of these magnetic sump plugs work up to a point as long as you do regular oil changes and clean them but they do collect any small fragments of metal swarf that might be floating about and for £6 its a small help to keeping your engine tip top.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magnetic-Oil-Plug-Mazda-MX3-MX5-RX7-RX8-Premacy-Protego-/220592769347?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335c5a8943

• Ok so they said it was definately burning oil.

You then need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

What OTHER SYMPTOMS are there?
    Is it smoking? at startup? or all the time? when revved hard? what color?
    Take off your oil cap, what do you see? any gunk? what colour is it?
    When your engine is cool take of the water caps, what can you see? any oil shimmering on top? any gunk floating or on caps? dip a white cloth in it.
    Open the expansion tank and look at the colour of the water, is there anything floating in it?
    Do you have a misfire at idle? listen to the engine with bonnet up, then listen right by the exhaust, get someone to hold it at 3000rpm and check again, does it miss if you rev hard
    What colour is the plug? is it wet or dry when you take it out? what does it smell like?

HOW MUCH is being lost?
    Check your oil level when cold everyday for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes
    Also check your water levels
    Have you had to top it up in the past?

WHY is it doing it?
    By answering the above questions it will give us a better idea why and then do further investigation.
    There are only a few places oil can get into the combustion chamber.

A few things though, engine flush does not fix any of the problems that cause oil to be burnt.

But First off answer those questions for us and lets see if it is really burning oil

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB