KP's MX Track Car aka 'Reddy'

• I'm looking at battery relocation kits for when I do my ZE conversion. Has anyone got any advice/how-to's? There are a few kits out there http://www.groundingkits.co.uk/products.htm#mx3v6 and http://www.db-power.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=389&products_id=588&osCsid=805dbf8fa85a7c3eb02d5e79d13c8f34, but are they worth it?

Cheers guys.

• Made mine myself, although worked out bit dear as i got a sealed gel battery, but battery box and vent will be cheaper as you could use existing battery. Have heard some people use the sealed slimline red top battery and keep it up front.
    Any how i used sealed yellow top, welded 2 m10 threaded bolts to boot floor, made a cover to act as clamp between the two studs. This also provids a grounding point. Then used a amp wiring kit with a 150 amp blade fuse this goes straight to starter motor up front. Then made a daisy chain style grounding kit in the engine bay just to provide some clean earth points.

• Cheers Garfy.

I don't have the welding skill, but it's still good to have some idea on how to go about it. Might get one of my more "hands-on" mates to give me a hand. :)

• I'd always go with a sealed battery to stop yourself form being gassed. Is that a rear strut brace I spy Garfy? You have PM!

• Ok, just a quick update (photos to be added later) to keep everyone up to date with what's been going on with the '3.

I've finally managed to get round to finish spraying the car Satin Black and I will say that it looks the nuts!! 8) Definitely adds an edge and is like nothing else on the road. Am very pleased indeed.

Secondly, the coilovers. They're fitted and I've lowered the car and now it's looking awesome. Had a few problems with the rear arches as they'd bent in a little which meant there was a bit of rubbing, but I've since "fixed" that - read "hammered round" - so that's a quick fix until I can get them sorted professionally.

All this was for my trip to the Nurburgring on the 10th, and suffice to say the additions and tweaks made the car feel great! Third gear is now my new best friend, and (without sounding too weird :oops:) I've totally fallen back in love with it. Having done 135k miles, she sounded like new as I belted her round the corners…a totally amazing car...I wonder if Mazda knew the potential when they made them!!

Anyway, like I say, I'll add photos later (at work at the mo).

ps: One final note for anyone thinking of getting coilovers, and using it as a daily driver...the ride is hard, (even set on the softest setting) but not uncomfortably so. It's the state of the roads that causes the most problems, not the suspension itself. I travel 4 miles to work each day, so it's not so much of a problem, but if you do more, you may want to reconsider, or just use them for the track which, btw they are amazing!! :lol:

• hey kp81 just a few things a few holes in your bonnet are just going to greate drag, not what you want on a track car.

and as for the coilovers being to hard it should have the spring rate on the springs. you can get softer springs if you like fro k sport they're roughly €75 a pair i've a set of n1 coilovers with 12kg on the front and 10kg on the back i've been looking for 8 and 6kg springs as to mess around with set up.

if your looking for more useable power thing of what hampers the engine in producing easily accesible power?? whatever is bolted to it, ie flywheel, altenator, powersteering, a/c, brakes, wheels. scrap as much as you can and if you need it try get a lighter version of it and should help you with a bit more power before spending stupid money

• @d66d4f4e89=kp81:

I've finally managed to get round to finish spraying the car Satin Black and I will say that it looks the nuts!! 8) Definitely adds an edge and is like nothing else on the road. Am very pleased indeed.

Sounds awesome! Post pics! :D

I think I'll end up going down the same route.

• @76890f306c=kp81:

Famine, honestly just used a wire brush and a spot of WD40. Took ages but as you can see it's well worth it. I'd also get some wire wool to get in the nooks and crannies, esp. round the TB.

I'd love to get it properly done but couldn't stretch to that at the time!

i thought that was the best way too just make sure to wear gloves as after a few days i lost the end of my fingers

• @cc891f903b=robx1r:

and as for the coilovers being to hard it should have the spring rate on the springs. you can get softer springs if you like fro k sport they're roughly €75 a pair i've a set of n1 coilovers with 12kg on the front and 10kg on the back i've been looking for 8 and 6kg springs as to mess around with set up.

The rates are 11 and 7 which aren't too uncomfortable at all. As it's my daily driver I don't want to "mess around" with the springs settings, although I agree it'll make the ride much better on the roads. Saying that, they are adjustable as well, but it's just having the time… :shock:

• thats rebound adjust tightens up the damper

• Just had my first track day and I'm really happy with the car. Nice and stable, although a new set of Toyo T1Rs is now on the cards! :lol:

My problem was it just didn't have enough power for what I really wanted to do, and so I'm (slowly, but surely) heading towards the upgrade.

I've got a few bits in mind, but being a complete noob wanted to bounce some ideas. Remembering that I will be using stock K8 for the time being, will the following work with the standard engine?

S/S Headers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140392335371
    Exedy Clutch: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330418102078

Once the headers are fitted, I'll be doing the exhaust.

• Hi ,
    sounds like it was funday tracking it! always wanted to but never
    done one my myself, mainly cause im quite far most of them (except Goodwood but thats expensiiive. I planing on taking my MX somehwere though one day :D

No experience of SS headers myself, some one will have though Im sure,
    not sure it offers any gains though.
    But I think that clutch you linked too is just a standard 2.5 KL item
    (exedy are OEM for clutches)

• That clutch should be fine, if its only a weekend car its only going to do little miles so there will be little stress on the car.
    If its going to be a full time track slag then upgrade it.
    Just boltyour mx3 flywheel to it, and keep the 1.8 gearbox.
    The headers will work on both 2.5 and 1.8 although you will have to do a little custom work, as the pipes are slightly longer to the cat and sometimes cheap headers arnt exact, but nothing a exhaust co wont be able to fix.
    Get some decent brakes, decent tyres, de -cat exhaust and then everything will be set to drop in the 2.5 lump and ecu, and then get ready for zoom zoom zoom!!!! :D

• Cheers Garfy and YDF,

It'll be a daily driver, but on the track it'll definitely be a slag! :lol: What and where did you get your clutch from?

Also, regarding brakes, what's a decent setup? I phoned K-Sport for their "big brake" conversion and it was basically £750 each end, plus they'd only fit in 17", which is certainly not what I'd be looking for.

@Garfy…how do I know if the headers are cheap or not? I don't really have a "normal" price for these things should cost, and all I can find is stuff from the US. I'd be getting a Powerflow exhaust so I'm sure they can work something out!

Cheers again chaps.

• This has just arrived!! . Should be better for UK tracks, but on the Ring it'll be awesome!! Brake fade, see ya! :lol:

• yeah powerflow will work out any problems, honestly there is not much difference between expensive headers and ebay jobbies.

Mx3 gulf is using upgraded discs and pads and work fine on the track with the 2.5

Visit marcos page and have a look at his 323 brake upgrade, which coupled with upgraded discs and pads will also be very good.

in honesty save your money on the big brake conversions, decent tyres andf upgraded discs will be more than enough, Then spend that money on the KLZE lump!!

Kami may still have his ze for sale, think admins ze has now been sold.

also were about in essex are you? would be good to have a coilover comparison as k sport werent quite ready when i had mine built.

• Just pm'd Kami so we shall see. He's got a racing clutch so that'll solve that problem too.

I saw what Marco did, but to be honest I'm just not that technically gifted at these sort of things! I did buy some better discs and pads which seemed to work fairly well, and a set of new T1Rs are coming my way fairly soon too.

I'm just in Chelmsford which is only about half an hour from the crossing. Any good at engine swaps…?!! :lol:

• lol, No i would mind a go but just dont have any mechanical tools apart from a socket set !!

Yeah only been to chelmsford once for a course but is not too far from me. Damm tax runs out end of month tho and dont have any plans yet to re-nue it :(

• Not renewing? No plans to sell I hope, or are you just waiting for the warm weather?! :)

• ksports leak over prolonged track use, besides a set of decent pads and discs and the fluid you have and a decent caliper refurb and you'll be laughing mate

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB