KP's MX Track Car aka 'Reddy'

• Are you having it done at a spray shop, or are you doing it yourself? I always thought it'd be fairly expensive doing it privately…

• @2502896f59=kp81:

Are you having it done at a spray shop, or are you doing it yourself? I always thought it'd be fairly expensive doing it privately…

well most of the work i will do myself with a little help, ie the rubbing down etc etc.. then the when ive had the base coat done i will wet sand back myself before finish coat then wet sand again before polish myself and then lacquer coat…

if you can do most of it yourself it does reduce price i have a very good friend that will allow me to use his facilities and supervise me also.. i try and do as much myself on all my cars...im budgeting around 500>1000 for my spray job..

I believe there no such thing as a cheap spray job its labour intensive work so be prepared to cover this...man hours cost..the more time spent on prep the better the finish imo..

Rainy...

• @999d57c716=kp81:

Guys I'm looking to respray the car silk black, but to do it myself. Firstly, is it worth it, e.g. would it be cheaper and result in a better finish if I used a spray house? Secondly, does anyone have any helpful hints they could pass on? :D

ps: Cheers for all the good words!

Please don't use rattle cans!!! THEY ARE SHIT

How bads your car bodywise?? If you are doing it satin black, piece of piss for a sprayer as satin hides imperfections more than a gloss finish, I could do it in a day if bodywork in good condition (i.e no dents) 2 days if small repairs & priming needed in areas, if you want bumpers etc taken off its gonna cost you more as there is more labour

• Rainy if you are budgeting 500 - 1000 to do it yourself :shock: , you need to give me a call LOL

• @96be5affde=mx3gulf:

Rainy if you are budgeting 500 - 1000 to do it yourself :shock: , you need to give me a call LOL

id be happy to pop over the water and spend a week with ya doing it, that is when the wife lets me have the cash….oh nad off the leash...

• I'm sure we will chat about it at japfest!! Sorry to hijack thread :oops:

• @f33de4bccd=mx3gulf:

I'm sure we will chat about it at japfest!! Sorry to hijack thread :oops:

yeah fella we will and same here sorry to hijack….

• No worries guys…you go for it!
    (getting back on topic :P) I'd like to put as much work as I can into it rather than pay for it. I appreciate the advice on spray cans gulf, I shall steer well clear! It won't be for awhile anyway...got a new engine, CAI and rollcage to put in before I plan the respray...I just wanted some ideas in case I get bored whilst saving for the big things! :wink:

• The work plan up until September:

• Get KLDE engine and parts (ECU, etc) and fit
    • Sort out headlamps (frankly useless at night!)
    • Fit new Cold Air Intake
    • Install roll cage
    • Get seat harness

• Has anyone upgraded their headlights using a HID kit, or halo kit? The halo's are double the price, (but look the nuts), but are they as bright as the HID kits? I'd prefer to get the best possible…

HID Kit:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360257581126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Halo:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140402889204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any previous reviews, etc are very welcome!!

• Halo's are just a ring of light similiar to that of your side lights..
    a hid kit is what you may wish to go for..try for the bi version in a 35w 6000k version..h4 fitment..

Personally i went to the new Philips bulb with 90% more discharge and im very happy with them..

• Halo's are just a ring of light similar to that of your side lights..
    a hid kit is what you may wish to go for..try for the bi version in a 35w 6000k version..h4 fitment..

Personally i went to the new Philips bulb with 90% more discharge and im very happy with them..

• Cheers Rainy…are the Philips bulbs just a replacement of the stock ones? I assume they'll be cheaper than a full-blown HID conversion.

EDIT: Just taken a look on the inter-web...standard replacement and looking like just what I need. 8)

• hid kits are from 55 up depending on who you get them from, on average the kits i feel are ok for the mx are 79.99 the bulbs i got came to 19.00 from halfords which is very good and made by Philips…

• Yeah, just found them for £20 on eBay and free P&P. Might go for Halfords so I can fit them in this w/e. Something to tick off the 'to-do' list. :D

• Ok, my hope of swapping the lights ended fairly quickly when I couldn't get the damn things off! :oops: (major noob!!) Am I right in thinking the glass will come off the rear plate? They're two moulds right??? I didn't want to push it too hard and chip the glass.

Any help is appreciated!

Put in a new steering wheel instead! :lol:

• silly question why are you trying to remove the glass…What is it your trying to achieve..

To remove the headlights youll need to remove the front bumper first...
    then if you wish to remove the glass first warm the headlight to soften the seal then price apart...

• Ah, cheers for the info. I was just trying to change the headlight bulb, but wasn't sure if it meant taking the headlamp out or not. :oops:

"All the gear…no idea"

• The bulbs just clip in from back of the unit. The little clip things for them are awkward enough though!

• Cheers Ryan. Feel like a right muppet not being able to swap the headlights over!!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB