KP's MX Track Car aka 'Reddy'

• Damn you Garfy!! :lol:

I appreciate the advice though, and (now) will definitely be getting myself a set. 8)

• also to piss on your bonfire!, your need to mod your exhaust slightly as the mx6 ones are slightly longer where it connects to the cat.
    there was some talk on here about de cat pipes and making a shorter one for people who wanted to use with mx6 headers. So dont stress to much!.

• You're a bundle of fun you are mate!! :P

Just as a thought…will my existing CAT fit onto the mx6 headers? The ones I saw on eBay are 2.5" diameter, and I have no idea of the size of the mx3 CAT. If so, at least I'll be able to do a quick cut 'n shut job on the mid section of my existing exhaust whilst I build up the funds to get a new shiny 2.5" exhaust. If not...then bulls! :shock:

• keep an eye on this thread also shows what i mean on famines comment.

http://www.uk-mx3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3036&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cat+pipes&start=15

if your/ or someones handy with a welder it not a big problem, just a case of loosing a few inches here and there!!.

djmarcopolo mentioned something about a southampton meet sometime before winter if your up for it, unless your taking mx off road soon for ZE conversion.

• Got that watched mate! 8)

My mate has done a spot of welding on the car in the past, so I'll just employ his usefulness to get sorted in the short-term.

I'm off to the 'Ring in September, and (touch wood) all being ok, I'll be ordering up the parts when I return, so it'll mean I'll be taking her off the road around late Sept/early Oct. If I get her sorted in time, I think a bash down to Southampton might just be what she needs!! Cheers for the invite! :D

• You can run the stock MX-3 exhaust system inc headers and downpipe with your KLZE it is better flowing than the MX-6 headers/downpipe anyway and needs no modding to fit as long as you don't want EGR, which you don't. Then just pop down to the scrappy hacksaw off the two flanges eitherside of the CAT leaving as much pipe eitherside as possible then just cut to size and weld it up to make a cheap decat. Or find an old CAT and chisel out the insides.

Thats as good as you'll get without spending money.

I fitted aftermarket MX-6 branch headers/downpipe £150
    Then had them adjusted as the fitment was V Poor £50
    Then had a Decat made as the MX-6 downpipe is longer and at a different angle £40
    Fitted to a powerflow CAT back £370 ish (was on a car when I got it though :D )
    With an Isotta backbox £150 ish (was on car a when I got it though :D )
    And now I've got a Remus backbox £180 (currently on my 1.8, but swapping with my Isotta)

Keep watching ebay, especially if you don't mind buying and selling cars, as an MX-3 in rough condition/bad engine with an aftermarket exhaust does not seem to fetch any more than it would with a standard one!

Buy it swap the exhausts then sell it on.

• Thanks admin, I appreciate the knowledge.

I must admit (and it is an OCD thing), that when I do the conversion I'll try and get as much new kit as I need, so to maximise the gains from the engine. Added to the fact that my existing headers could really do with being replaced, I think I'll get some new 'uns. :lol:

My shopping list currently looks a lot like what you've already got on the car, although I was hoping to leave the Powerflow exhaust until a bit later. That was my initial query, would the CAT and everything else from my 1.8 connect up to my new shiny MX-6 headers?

Cheers again.

• Ok, so at the moment whilst I'm waiting around I decided to get one of the little things finished…and here it is:

Complete waste of time as you still have to turn the key to 2, but it does have the 'cool-wall' factor I think! 8)

• Recently I've been hearing some rattling from the rear during normal driving. I've had it up on the ramp, joints and anti-roll bar looks and sounds normal, however having quizzed an ex-mechanic at work, he took a look and spotted this:

I was shocked!!! :shock: (excuse the pun)

This is a picture of the rear's just sitting on my drive. Should the springs be completely compressed like that?

• Ummmm, to put it bluntly, no. looks like the spring has collapsed, either that or it is a very short lowering spring.

It should be looking like this

• Some people make lowering springs by torching the coils and closing them up. This is a bad idea for a number of reasons, but yes, something is definitely wrong there. Jack the car up, see how fall the spring falls and if it rattles about.

• We've taken both shocks out and they're completely fine - good length and now rattles at all.

It's funny (well not really), but I've had them on the car for 6 months and even when we put them on we thought the wheels travelled too far. There wasn't any rattling early on, that's only appeared.

Lucky really that last night I placed my order for a set of KSports! :)

• @a8e743bf56=nightstalker:

Ummmm, to put it bluntly, no. looks like the spring has collapsed, either that or it is a very short lowering spring.

It should be looking like this

Hmm, quite a big difference there :oops:. That's strange it's happened both sides. It wouldn't be something stupid like the spring is upside down would it? Like I said, I've just put my order in for some KSports, but I'm interested in hearing your views.

• I've just been thinking about something different to do with the bonnet, and was toying with the idea of cutting a couple of strips out, rounding off the edges and then putting some sort of grille mesh over it.

My questions are:

• Would it pass an MOT? (obviously removing all sharp edges)
    • Would it be safe?
    • Would it be detrimental to the performance/handling of the car?

I thought it would look quite cool, as you'd be able to see the engine (might call for engine spray! 8))

All thoughts are always appreciated!!

• That can be cool and fine to do but you need to build some kind of undertray to keep rain off the electrics underneath

• That's exactly what my mate said :oops:

• @cbfa4f4dc0=kp81:

I've just been thinking about something different to do with the bonnet, and was toying with the idea of cutting a couple of strips out, rounding off the edges and then putting some sort of grille mesh over it.

My questions are:

• Would it pass an MOT? (obviously removing all sharp edges)
    • Would it be safe?
    • Would it be detrimental to the performance/handling of the car?

I thought it would look quite cool, as you'd be able to see the engine (might call for engine spray! 8))

All thoughts are always appreciated!!

Would pass an MOT fine if no sharp edges.
    I had a hole cut in the bonnet for a track day, terrible problems with the bonnet lifting and vibrating over 110mph so ended up gaffer taping it up.

• THEY'VE ARRIVED!!!! :lol:

Ok, so I'm amazed. Shipped from the US, in exactly a week (or 5 business days) using Fedex Economy and they were meant to be out of stock! :P

• what site did u get them from and how much they set u back?

• @48a9ce1618=DaveMc:

what site did u get them from and how much they set u back?

Considering they came from the US, including p&p they worked out just shy of £600. I got 'em off an eBay seller okc_imports http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/okc_imports/. The guy's name there is John and his communication was second to none. They were originally marked up at $877, but I put a best offer in at $800 and that was accepted.

Note: HAD I asked him to mark down the value of the kit so it wouldn't get pulled by HMRC, I'm sure he would've obliged… :)

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB