Finding a KLZE!!

• Guys,

I bought my '94 MX-3 1.8 V6 for a quick trundle round the Nurburgring last year and despite my best intentions have ended up keeping it for this years trip too. It's a brilliant little motor and now having uprated the suspension and brakes I'd like to give it some more power.

I've seen there are LOADS and LOADS of topics out there that describe how to do an engine swap, however not a lot that mention where to source the engine from. I know I'd prefer a KLZE from a Mazda 6, but have checked eBay and Autotrader for a donor but there's now't!

All help is much appreciated!

• @ec966fe441=kp81:

Guys,

I bought my '94 MX-3 1.8 V6 for a quick trundle round the Nurburgring last year and despite my best intentions have ended up keeping it for this years trip too. It's a brilliant little motor and now having uprated the suspension and brakes I'd like to give it some more power.

I've seen there are LOADS and LOADS of topics out there that describe how to do an engine swap, however not a lot that mention where to source the engine from. I know I'd prefer a KLZE from a Mazda 6, but have checked eBay and Autotrader for a donor but there's now't!

All help is much appreciated!

im after one too but im wanting a hole car to get things like ecu and gear box ( ie a mx6)

• Give the hamster a pm, thats where i got mine from, not seen him on here for ages mind…..... He always used to find import mx6's

• Cheers for the info mx3gulf. Will try and get hold of him.

I did find an MX-6 engine on eBay, however it's only a UK spec. Trouble was, it's for £150 and that basically includes anything I want from the vehicle…ECU, dist, everything! Now I'm in a qwandery as whether to take that and suffer the extra 30bhp, or wait it out for a KLZE????!

Can you stick a turbo on a UK spec MX-6 engine?

• Check that…hamster isn't even in the members list anymore.

• http://www.mx6oc.com/forum/index.php

best place to look for a ze mx6.

• @54d18f082b=kp81:

Cheers for the info mx3gulf. Will try and get hold of him.

I did find an MX-6 engine on eBay, however it's only a UK spec. Trouble was, it's for £150 and that basically includes anything I want from the vehicle…ECU, dist, everything! Now I'm in a qwandery as whether to take that and suffer the extra 30bhp, or wait it out for a KLZE????!

Can you stick a turbo on a UK spec MX-6 engine?

Thats a good price for a complete KLDE setup, you'd need ECU & VAF from it, you can use K8 dissy, but if they are throwing that in too then get it, its better to turbo a KLDE than a KLZE as they are lower compression, I had originally put in a KLDE in my track car until the big end went :( but then I put in a KLZE :D still good upgrade to KLDE mind

• Yeah, they basically said that if I remove the engine myself I can take anything else that I might need.

Cheers for the info re turbo-ing. Everyone else who's done a swap has done it with a ZE, hence I wasn't sure a DE would be worth it, but after what you've said I think I might as well! :lol:

• When you take engine out, try and take as much of the loom too, as when I done conversion it was handy to have some spare connectors/loom as some may need lengthening, don't forget to keep us updated on here!!

• Thanks for the tip! :D

I'll make sure to post up all the pics I take…as and when I remember!! :oops:

• The guy's just come back to me with the mileage of the DE…129K. Considering I want to use this as a track car, is this a little high? Will it stand up to the rigours of being battered around a track?

Cheers.

• might be a long shot, but have you tried places like
    http://www.breakeryard.com/
    http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

:)

• Mileage depends on how the previous owner/s have treated the car really, can you see/hear it running?? With that mileage I would want service history with it, its possibly gonna be a gamble if not, trouble is, all the donor cars with engines in are all getting old now, so finding a genuine low mileage one is gonna be tricky, try UKPOC forum, as a probe is an MX6 with pop up lights!! There a helpful bunch and someone should have a KLDE for sale,I put a ford probe engine in my MX3 before the KLZE, it was quite good opening the bonnet and people seeing a ford badge on the rocker cover!!

Just remembered hamsters mx6 had 164000 miles on it when he had it dyno'd, if I recall it was around 165bhp, so it goes to show if a car is looked after! My bmw E39 523i has 207000 miles on it now, no problem :wink:

Any engine on a track is gonna get a hammering, when I track mine its only driven no more than 15 minutes, then comes back to pits for a cool down, has an oil change after every track day too, gets trailered to and from track too, reckon car is gonna do no more than 500 miles a year!!

• Thanks for the advice guys. Being a bit of a noob at all this, it's really good to be able to bounce ideas off other people.

Cheers.

• nippon auto spares can get them….but....they are a lazy, lying bunch of cowboys.

They are in Altringham and you can only buy from them if you can get there to inspect the engine yourself first!!! as they will happily send you out a KLDE and argue with you over it....they are bastards.

So only buy if they have one in stock, make them check the head codes, and only buy if you can go and see if for yourself!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! DO NOT GET THEM TO ORDER ONE AS IT MAY NEVER TURN UP!!!!!

Alternatively Mr Engines can get you one, but what they will probably do is swap one from Nippon anyway, but they are nicer people to deal with.

But the same rules apply, don't bother ordering one, go and see it and only if they have one in stock.

–--------------------

As A side note don't pay more than £500, i'd even try at £450 first. They will try and get you to pay around £550 but don't have it from them.

Check the engines extensively for damage.

Make sure they have left the Throttle body on as they will take it off if you don't.

• Cheers for the advice mate. I've been looking at Nippon, but now shan't bother!!

• i have a klze at work that im in the process of rebuilding

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB