HammyGlos MX-3 Project (OEM+!)

• Hi All,

Now is the Time to Post the First Pics of my MX ( These are Pre-Clean, Just as I got her!)

The Front bumper is an absolute abomination… Previous owner tried a home respray.. Bad Idea.. especially with an aerosol!!!

Also a "Little Dent" in the Wing!!!

Colour is a little flat on the Wing Mirrors and Back spoiler!!

So,

As the project is K.I.S.S.. As I have the mechanical knowledge of a knat.. and am also not very good at anything really… I thought I'd keep it very simple :lol:

So, On the cards to start is get the paintwork sorted...
    2 main issues..
    1. The obvious front bumper!!
    2. There is lacquer peel on passenger side "B" Pillar

Have got quotes from local sprayers to fix this... Best price £500 all in with clear coat. Does this sound ok?? work is spray and blend passengr side and spray front bumper.

After this...

Main ideas after this are...

1. Full Service .. as i don't have any service history of the car.
    2.Stainless exhaust (Cat back to start) Manifold to follow (depending on Money)
    3. Lower the car 35 - 40mm
    4. New wheels (maybe!! I like the std. wheels - but am thinking of some Rota Track R's)
    5. Dress the engine bay.

Thats all for now.

The Project K.I.S.S has begun..... :wink:

Hammy

• Looks good, good ideas also. Don't think the bumper has been done with an aerosol. Looks lore like a touch up pen (the wrong red). Depending on how good you are with the old shakey shakey cans you can get a good result (I did my old car with good results but it's all down to prepping).

• I saw this one sell on ebay 8)

Looked very nice in the listing, I will have a 3" stainless rear box for sale soon if you are interested, center sections in stainless are rare as unicorn poop good luck and keep the updates coming in

• @b6855c904c=nightstalker:

Don't think the bumper has been done with an aerosol. Looks lore like a touch up pen (the wrong red).

I'd say it was an aerosol, seems to be some overspray on the left indicator.

500 quid for a front bumper and a bit of a blow in sounds a bit pricey to me. Shop around tbh.

Nice car anyway, good luck with her. :)

• its not too pricey IMO, granted not cheap but not expensive either, I would want them to take front bumper off car and remove all lights, grills etc for that price. It won't be a blow in on the side either, 'blend' should mean basecoat blow ins on affected areas and then laquer whole side, well thats what I'd do for £500 anyway, ask them for discount for cash too,

Don't go down the aerosol route, its shite!!

• Definately shop around for spray jobs
    There is a small spray company near me that offered to do the whole front end to the doors for £350 in sparkle green or the whole car for £600 in any colour I wanted, then 500 yards up the road another company wanted £600 for just the bonnet + bumper to be sprayed

• Cheap does not = best!! You get what you pay for in painting, I'm charging a customer nearly £300 to respray his wheels for his car, does not mean that I am gonna do a cheap £20 a wheel job he could get down the road and pocket the spare cash, hes gonna get his moneys worth as he wants a good job, I've seen some cheap jobs and it makes me cringe…...........

• Don,t go over the top with a respray, if you had the money to spare you wouldn't have a car like the mx3. Do what you can yourself, I like our wheels as well, my plan is to polish up a set, steelemx3 was enquiring about it on mx3.com, no one has done it yet, i want one wheel to have a go at to see what it will look like, anyone with a spare 5 spoke 15 inch give me a pm. Nice car, Blaze Red is a pig to match up on the cheap, I'm looking for one in white as a second car :P

• Thanks for the comments guys!!

MX3Gulf@02fd00de67:

I would want them to take front bumper off car and remove all lights, grills etc for that price. It won't be a blow in on the side either, 'blend' should mean basecoat blow ins on affected areas and then laquer whole side,

This is what i have been quoted for.. bumper off, blend and re-laquer also the dent on the front wing will be removed and there is a little carpark ding just behind the passenger door that'll be taken out.

DJMarcoPolo@02fd00de67:

Looked very nice in the listing, I will have a 3" stainless rear box for sale soon if you are interested, center sections in stainless are rare as unicorn poop

DJ might be interested in the Backbox. PM me a price and I'll let you know.
    I got qoted £275 for Cat back system in stainless fabricated specifically for me. Am waiting on a mate coming back to me with another price.

Hussar203
    @02fd00de67:

I like our wheels as well, my plan is to polish up a set,

I was thinking of a polished rim on the std. wheels and the spokes painted up…

• Update 1. :wink:

Day off work today.. So, I have now cleaned and polished the car…

Can't even see the laquer peel in this photo! (Above) :o

Took a few hours… Tired now :lol:

Hammy 8)

• nice work very clean and shiny :wink:

• Good result Hammy looking very nice fella…

• Welcome to the forum, good job on the clean up.

• Thanks Guys…

Next up... Power Fold Mirrors.. Ordered them today off Fleabay.. £30 and in the same colour as my car.. result :D

• Next update.

1. Power fold mirrors are in the shed.. Waiting on a Bongo mirror switch to add as it has the switch for the mirrors and directional controls all in 1. Which I think will be a lot tidier.

2. HID Upgrade ordered. 6000K Bi-Xenon H4 35W system.

3. Got a MazdaSpeed Tax disk holder to put in. Small, but nice little extra.

4. And finally, another wash and going over with wax….

• you've made a good job of the clean mate, my red paint is my biggest problem with mine at the minute.. get plenty of wax on it to protect it. Hope mine cleans up like yours..

• @e415d2873e=Nathan:

you've made a good job of the clean mate, my red paint is my biggest problem with mine at the minute.. get plenty of wax on it to protect it. Hope mine cleans up like yours..

Thanks mate… I think the camera lies a bit tho.. the spoiler and mirrors are still very flat.... Had a look at yours too... yours looks mint!!! I'm jealous of your front bumper :lol:

• Quick update… MOT and I need new tyres.. All being done tomorrow. Hope it passes!!!

• Passed the MOT on Saturday.. No issues apart from slight blow in the backbox…

• congrates dude that good news

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB