Phantom grip (real LSD?)

• @e35ca7bc5e:

The Phanton is essentialy the same damn thing as a twin trac. The weakest link in our diffs is the spider gears. With those type LSD's they actualy put MORE force on the spider gears by locking the diff pin which is why they are a pile of crapola!! Try it out go for it but dont say we didnt warn you. Save a buck now…pay a fortune later.

from Bizzar - http://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/9233-quaife-vs-phantom-grip.html

@e35ca7bc5e:

The advantage a Kaaz has over a Quaife for Autox lies within its true clutch type LSD. When you lift a front tire off the ground the Kaaz will "lock-up" keeping power to the remaining tire still ON the ground. However with a Quaife, it will only do its job when the tires are on the ground. So what does that mean? Why not buy a Kaaz instead? Well, your average Autox car is still a street legal vehicle and most "street-legal" cars just dont have the capabilties to lift a front tire while still being a pleasure to drive on the street. Now you must choose what suites your driving habits and needs. Will this be a daily driver/ weekend strip warrior or a full blown autox car strickly. As for the Phanton…dont even bother with it.

Allthough this from a honda forum it still applies surely!

Not looking good for the phantom :(

• Well it's not all bad! Some people have had good luck with them. That first quotes about a honda box, so don't read too much into it.

They do work, they do improve traction, they may sooner or later blow your diff to bits, but they are cheap, and so are gearboxes really. Apparently welding the diff pin keeps things solid, including some 12 second mx6/3s

Here's a mixed review thread on probetalk:
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701281839&highlight=phantom+grip

If you've bought one and are having doubts sell it on probetalk or mx6.com and get an Mfactory :)

• @740c6670c1=Marco:

They do work, they do improve traction, they may sooner or later blow your diff to bits, but they are cheap, and so are gearboxes really. Apparently welding the diff pin keeps things solid, including some 12 second mx6/3s

Here's a mixed review thread on probetalk:
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701281839&highlight=phantom+grip

If you've bought one and are having doubts sell it on probetalk or mx6.com and get an Mfactory :)

Yeh thanks for the advice, i think i will put in in still as my car would be more in the 14's i think and i can get a gearbox for cheap like you said. If its does blow will it just be the gearbox and lsd that break or could it be worse.

Also how much was your MFactory one and welding the diff pin sounds a bit much wont that put more force/pressure onto the diff/gearbox.

• I got mine for $650 in the clubprotege.com group buy, when the pound wasn't a POS!

I think it involves welding the pin to the diff case, which shouldn't really do anything other than keep it in place. Not to be confused with filling an open diff with weld like a dodgy rwd 'differ'!

More than likely your box will just shred itself or crack the case in the event of a failure. So the box will be wrecked, but never heard of anyone wrecking anything else because of it.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB