Car keeps dying :(

• Been happening for a week now but been getting worse today.

Everytime in first and second gear, it gets to around 2.5- 3k revs and jerks like a bad gear change (makes me look like I can't drive).The rest of the gear range is fine.

But today I put some petrol in and pulled off and the car spluttered and died like a stall but it wasn't in gear, then it did it again a few minutes later when I pulled up to pick my workmates up and again when I got to work and had the car idling.

There is a noticeable loss of power all the way through the range, but as I say, the jerking around 2.5-3k in 1st and 2nd is worrying.

I'm putting this down to three possibilities:

1. Spark plugs need replacing (and they do)

2. The timing is out

3. The alternator is fooked

Can anyone else suggest anything, I flushed the fuel lines out recently and the car was running like a dream after clearing all the shite out of them.

• poss split/air leak in the intake

ps do you have a workshop repair manual as iirc theres something in there that may cover these symptoms

• @c8238a4db7=Rainmaker:

poss split/air leak in the intake

ps do you have a workshop repair manual as iirc theres something in there that may cover these symptoms

Hmm, I do and if I'm honest, I had the airbox off the other day to give it a lick of paint, I thought I'd put the air flow meter pipe back on properly but I'll have a better look tomorrow.

• I had old megane coupe that had same problem turned out cat converter was blocked! Try manual I'm sure it's something simple. Try cleaning sparks with wd40 to see if it's poss plugs. Good luck!

• @5fb8bfaec1=Garfy1981:

I had old megane coupe that had same problem turned out cat converter was blocked! Try manual I'm sure it's something simple. Try cleaning sparks with wd40 to see if it's poss plugs. Good luck!

I clean the sparks all the time with WD (that usually works but getting sick of doing it now), I took them out the other day and they definitely need replacing. I'll have a look and see if I can come up with anything.

• seeing as you had the airbox off i'd start there check for loose clamps then holes, i had a similar problem and changed the plug leads as the were nackerd

• also check the conections arrow in the pic and if there connected on the correct points too..

• Found the problem…..

How much would a new pipe to the air filter cost me? There is a massive slit in it about 2-3 inches long.

Big hairy balls! :x

Anyone got a quick fix for me until I can track one down at the weekend?

• lots of duct tape!

post topic wtb intake pipe someone will have one spare.

• @1117e8a8a4=nightstalker:

Anyone got a quick fix for me until I can track one down at the weekend?

Duct Tape.

You only need two things in life, WD40 and Duct Tape. Use the WD40 when something doesn't move and should and the Duct Tape if it moves and shouldn't :D

• what about an angle grinder to cut things and a welder to put things together? :lol:

• Back on topic please all….

• whats more to say? he's found the problem, the solution has been given :lol:

• @61c4200b93=Unicorn:

whats more to say? he's found the problem, the solution has been given :lol:

Lol, yes the problem has been solved so spam away people :lol:

• SPAM, sorry couldnt resist!

• lol

• @f20fa6692f=barrywhite21:

SPAM, sorry couldnt resist!

Stop spamming spammer :roll:

• Car's fully sorted now, got the new intake pipe and some new spark plugs, buggered plans for the rest of the month (like getting some new plates made up :( ) with a total cost of £70.98!

I haven't had chance to test drive her yet but I'm thinking the difference will be pretty much amazing (I think the split has been there since day one of having the car :oops: ) and I'm hoping to see a big difference with fuel economy too!

• Glad its all sorted now fella…

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB