DJMARCOPOLO'S - The GREEN RIVET

• @a1018cd1c8=Garfy1981:

The mx6 guys used to always put oil pressure gauges in their motors as they weren't convinced that the mazda oil warning light kicks in quick enough to save the engine. Not sure how its all plumbed in tho.

I would now agree with this having just replaced my rod barrings from being a quart low..

• need to find a how to

• Another dent in my wallet today after I got the heads back from pressure testing and a very gentle skim to clean the surfaces, plus they had a high pressure water treament to clean them up
    tomorrow its valves out and new stem seals and the uprated DE springs I bought about 2 years ago from america to go in thn the top half is ready to go back

The company who do the skimming have a game they play where they guess the head manufacturer and today they were completely stumped as they have never had a set in at all - looks good for mazda engineering :)
    usual suspects are rover and corsa 3 cylinder heads

Shiney Shiney

• those look pretty.

:bigok: :bigok:

• don't forget to reseat the valves while your doing the springs.

Bit of grinding paste and alot of elbow grease, takes forever. Seen guys using drills before, but i wouldn't. I just use the sucker stick and do it by hand.

Also easier to paint the heads while they are off. Deff worth doing.

• Thanks about the painting, have ordered paint and the valves I know about and will be doing al that, was thinking about getting a dremmel and sharpening all the air channels inside for better flow

Going to paint the engine bay too, I have ordered matt black so everything on the engine stands out a lot more and maybe get some green matched to the bodywork and fleck the matt black

• I used a drill at low speed to lap haha 24 valves in you'll understand :lol:

check out http://www.xtremethings.com/Trick_Tips.htm for porting

• thanks marco will take a trip to my local engineers for a price< its out of my depth for porting lol

• Don't polish the inlet side of the manifold, you want turbulence there.

But you can polish the exhaust side.

I use VHT paint on heads etc as it doesn't crack when it gets hot. Its also nice to put a VHT clearcoat on so its easy to keep clean and shiny.

• IF you're not DIYing it I wouldn't bother unless your goal is NA power revving high like leo323. Turbo is cheaper and more fun IMO.

• Not done much to this due to work but have now painted the inlet manifold up in vauxhall black diamond pearl that really catches the sun and stripped a lot of engine bay, paint is ordered and the engine bay will be painted to make the engine gleam when its finished, next job is get the old lump out so I can start painting, not going to make USC in a couple of weeks so takin the mx5 to that and aiming to have her back and ready for showing at TRAX in september :bigok:

• Finally found some time in my schedule

Engine comes out this weekend and engine bay respray next week

• Take pics

I love painted engines. They really make the car complete.

• I will be taking photos as I go along, so the engine came out in 4 hours after some proper prepping this time

going to strip a lot of junk out and start painting in the good weather this week

the heads are being done this week all new valve stem seals and uprated DE valve springs fitted, then its strip the bottom half, full clean throughout, maybe new oil pump if I could find it (bought one on here about 2 years ago)

I amgutted really as my local club that I work with now, wanted me featured in a TV documentary being filmed this week about modifying with a few other cars and we had a booking for a music video for Universal Music that ive missed too :x

oh well engine out though :)

• Great news as the fidanza flywheel from marco arrived today so that will be going in when the engine goes back together, heads have been started with all new valve stem oil seals and new springs.
    While the engine is out its having a full bay respray and all the rust treated with jenolite, spent the evening grinding out all the rust and treating it

next stop is some primer when it arrives

Also wrapped the exhaust headers with titanium heat wrap too

• Started spraying engine bay, one side at a time
    the whole lot will be matt black so the gloss on the engine really pops out

Got a list of new work to be done as i find more and more,
    steering rack gators
    clutch master cylinder leak
    track rod end

• Spendin a couple of hours a night on the engine bay, been removing all the little brackets and pipes and painting them up, cleaning all the plastic hoses with clutch & brake cleaner and then polishing with back to black.

replacing all the bolts with stainless steel and all bolts on show with stainless counter sunks with green screw cups to clean the bay up more

Tomorrow the brake & clutch system comes out for the servo's to be painted and then I can start on engine mounts, passenger side inner wing and then finally the wiper tray & motor.
    ext week ill be repainting all the bolt on's like starter motor etc and possible new casings for the loom to be hidden in

heres some pics of progress this week

• Flash Dash is a silicone based interior cleaner and it really makes any rubber hoses or plastic parts shine very nicely.

I've always used it in engine bay dress up.

You can control how shiney you want it by how much you buff it off after application.

Its great stuff.

But you have to get the one in the light blue can !!! I've tried all the others and they do not work!!

This one:

Also its best to clean any marks off first before using the spray or they just get trapped underneath, it will clean dirt off but if there are any serious marks I always get rid of them first.

• Thanks, I will purchase some
    :bigok:

• Here are some engine bay pics, the whole engine bay was cleaned with flash dash, even the paintwork and all plastics.

DO NOT GET IT ON ANY SURFACE YOU PLAN TO PAINT!!

Or you will have to clean it off with spirits etc.

Its great for doing the back of the headlights, fan / radiator plastics etc I literally do the whole engine bay with it. I t will work on anything that is a gloss finish, avoid getting on matt / satin finishes.

Or at least do a tester on a spot that can't be seen.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB