Idle Help

• I went to look at a 1992 MX3 v6 today, it was really good except for 2 things so I said I would go back later. (Wanted to ask some people here first)

1: The tank was nearly empty and it had been sitting for a few weeks, it was also -1 degrees.

However, the engine kept stalling, the revs would keep dropping to 250 then it would stall. I spoke to the chap there who took it out with me, it didnt stall for him. He said because the engine was cold and tank nearly empty & the idle control valve might need a spray.

2: through the passenger seat there was a clicking felt through the feet - possible cv joing?

I would be extremely interested in what you think about these issues, are they real problems? I had seen the car a week before 0 degrees, i started it (But didnt take i for a drive - didnt stall then)

Is it worth a punt or should I walk on?

• depends if you think its worth it, I have had a ticking coming through the floor in mine since I bought it, I have had new alloys, 4 new wheel bearings at £90 a pop and its still there the only thing left is drive shafts but we cannot see how they need replacing but its never fallen apart yet just has this annoying noise that gets wrose turning left so I have now mage the stereo louder and its gone LOL
    The revs could be a sensor, try the check to see if you get any fault codes on it, or if its low on fuel might be dragging crap from the tank through.If its sound and MOT the it might be worth a punt

• @8d3e9ec462=djmarcopolo:

depends if you think its worth it, I have had a ticking coming through the floor in mine since I bought it, I have had new alloys, 4 new wheel bearings at £90 a pop and its still there the only thing left is drive shafts but we cannot see how they need replacing but its never fallen apart yet just has this annoying noise that gets wrose turning left so I have now mage the stereo louder and its gone LOL
    The revs could be a sensor, try the check to see if you get any fault codes on it, or if its low on fuel might be dragging crap from the tank through.If its sound and MOT the it might be worth a punt

the clicking when you turn sounds like the cv joint,mine did the same i just put a new cv joint on then it was gone cost me about £100 at my local garage to do it

• So, what the salesman said (because it was cold and because the idle control valve needed some wd40) would seem untrue?

It is a shame because apart from that the car is in nice condition. He said we could go for 1150 pounds for a clean 1992 with 63k. I am aware though that it will need a big service soon too. I was worried about throwing money at diagnosing the stall issue as reading mx3 forums it seems hard to find what the exact problem could be.

I really fell in love with the mx3 however, the v6 soundtrack is just something glorious and special compared to other cars with similar abilities.

• Far the stalling issue, check the intake pipe for cracks and leaks behind the air flow sensor, the MX is well known for this issue. A bit of duck tape will cure it for the time being until you can find a replacement or make your own.

• @4dc84f78eb=Barico:

So, what the salesman said (because it was cold and because the idle control valve needed some wd40) would seem untrue?

It is a shame because apart from that the car is in nice condition. He said we could go for 1150 pounds for a clean 1992 with 63k. I am aware though that it will need a big service soon too. I was worried about throwing money at diagnosing the stall issue as reading mx3 forums it seems hard to find what the exact problem could be.

I really fell in love with the mx3 however, the v6 soundtrack is just something glorious and special compared to other cars with similar abilities.

If its a garage that is selling it for £1150 make a deal with him, that fault and the lack of service is a HUGE haggling tool you can use.

Go back and tell him you want it at the asking price i'm guessing its £1295 judging by you settling at £1150 but you want the idle problem fixed, CV joint done and a service with everything on this list.
    Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs + leads and 6 months tax from the purchase month.
    The idle problem + cv joint MUST come included with the 12 month warranty and it must be written into the contract. That covers you if he has just done a bodge just to get it off the forecourt

Right that has saved you a fortune as the parts alone for that service are about £130, then you are covered with the idle problem + CV joint for at least a year.

That just leaves the cam belt to do and any mobile mechanic will do it for £100 - 200 and you can use that as a bargaining tool to get the other stuff done, just tell him to do the servicing and you will sort the cam belt so it feels like he is getting a better deal but its actually you thats saving.
    Also with the road tax most registered traders purchase it direct for a fraction of its face value thats why most car sales include 6 months tax as it costs them around £15 from the government.

But if you want a low mileage V6 mx3 then shop around there are plenty out there, I have just watched 2 japanese imports both with under 40k on the clock sell for £265 + £350 with leather + aircon and limited edition raspberry red paint jobs.

£1150 is top dollar if you are shopping for an MX3
    I went on autotrader searched and these beauties came up along with a lot more
    R reg 97 - silver V6 - 40k - £880

M reg 95 - Equipe Ltd - V6 Black - ALL mazda factory extras - £995
    http://www.smc-transport.co.uk

Shop around if you are will to pay £1200 you can get a lot of MX3 out there even from a dealer

• i agree my first mx3 was £700 with 120,000 miles not a bargain but still not bad, not that many problems to fix.

• Save up a bit more and buy a KLZE 2.5 V6 200BHP MX3.

• Dealer near here has a white V6 for £699, so that one is rather overpriced IMO.

• 2nded

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB