Smoke!

• Ok can do.

• the zorst pipe I has…

• i cant see where it is leaking from but it is definately leaking. think i need to jack it up and have a proper wiggle about to find it. I think it might be from the back box though which isnt too bad. also instead of buying a decat pipe, should i just knock the internals out of mine and if so, what should i use to do it. the cat is rattly as fook anyway and i would say, from the smell at the back end, it is not doing its job. would it be worth (and sound better) welding a slightly smaller piece of exhaust pipe the same length of the CAT Into the CAT (if you get my drift). luckily I have a backbox that needs to go on anyway which is a stainless one

• oh and one more thing, my mechanic thinks the stem seals may be causing the smoke :( I have no idea how to fix this

• stem seals are quite tricky, you need to remove both heads then disassemble to the valves then reassemble the lot :wink:

• If you dunno how to do it then that can mean only one thing, its not a good idea for you to do it :)

Id try and rule out all the other possibilities first, valve stems would likely cause it to smoke like a psycho all the time, and theres a lot smaller, easier and cheaper things that can mimic the same situation.

Has your mechanic actually investigated it or just given you a guess?

• it was just a guess from him so he could be wrong. I still think it may be the CAT if i am honest

• I think hes wrong and your wrong, hell, your all wrong.

Prepare to be told why…

Hes stupid, you dont just jump in at the worst possible thing it could be, that is irresponsible, unintelligent and most likely going to be far wrong. This isnt a simple situation like, "None of the lights on my dash light up and the car wont start" oh, duff battery or fuses then, thats simple, with this, theres any number of tiny things before you can start saying anything about valve seals, burnt valves, compression, piston rings etc.

Dont get me wrong, it could end up being that, but to start off with that without so much as taking a look is moronic and retarded. When was the last time you got a spot on your face and thought "I hope thats not a tumor"?

And as for you sunny jim, I am decat, and I cured my smoke problem, and you know why I didnt think OMG valve seals? Most motorbikes and older cars dont have catalytic converters, and they dont smoke, my zx6r, had about 4 foot of pipe, that went straight into the air, no baffles in the exhaust to catch fumes or anything, and that never even once smoked.

So slap yourself across the face for being a mary!

• ok, just tried to get the cat off to have a look inside it. managed to get the rear two bolts off no problem but it seems the front two bolts have been tightened up by superman, even with my whole body weight on them bouncing around they still would not budge! so i just put it all back together and i am going to leave it that way now.

• I had the same exact problem, took it to the garage for them to undo as clearly been impact drivered or never ever changed as the rust on the nuts made them look like mushed up chocolates

• i might take it to my mates yard as he has air powered impact tools that i may be able to use. but that can wait until another day now. :?

• indeed, first thing you gotta do is find a way to get up here and have this exhaust and have a stab at your smoking addiction

• probably will do this weekend mate. i dont mind the smoking so much, its getting beaten by crappy little cars that annoys me the most pmsl. i hate the hesitation i have

• Im home from 1.30pm this coming friday and then all weekend too

• cool i finish at 1.30 on friday too but i dont know what shift the misses is on, if she is on a late then it will probably be saturday or sunday mate

• sounds good to me fella

• heya mate, just had a call from my nan and i defo wont be able to make it on friday as its the funeral day. will probably be sat or sun

• no problem mate, sorry to hear that someones past away, if you dont wanna do it next weekend then maybe the weekend after, but thatll be my last weekend here before we move

• should be ok for the weekend bud, dont worry.

• Ok, so i thought that my smoke problems had gone away, until yesterday…..
    I thought i should check the oil as it has been about a month since i filled it up.
    To say it was dry as a bone would be an understatment. I went to buy some from halfrauds and they happened to be SHUT!! so i popped to asda to pick some up. unfortunately all they had was 10/40 which had to do as i was running almost dry. they only had 2l of this oil left which i bought and put in the car. which took my oil level to BELOW the min line. why has my car drank probably about 4l of oil in 1 month!
    I know the engine is dying but at this rate it is going to cost me as much in oil as it does in petrol!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB