Uprated throttle body

• ok all, i know you can get a throttlebody ported and polished but is there and chance the mx6 v6 one will fit the 1.8 v6 instead to give a larger bore intake and just have it polished..what are your thoughts on this and will it work..

• Your best bet would be to buy the whole inlet manifold and bolt it straight on, you would have to swap your injectors over as the 2.5 mx6 ones would over fuel your K8.

Also it is all very well letting the air/fuel mix enter the engine faster but if your exhaust is stock it will have a negative effect. You really need to let the engine breath at both ends.

• ok, ok.. i know, ive been working on engines for some time now and at least know that..im currently sourcing parts to start and rebuild all i want, all parts sourced before starting…headers and down pipes are to come along with a full cat back/decat system.. just looking at intake changes...
    what id like to know is what to the stock differences between the 1.8 v6 t/b and the 2.5 t/b are they a straight swap
    are the bore sizes the same or not
    if theres gains to be had with a complete intake change as you suggest, t/b and manifold then i will consider this..again the question is what are the differences between stock 1.8 and 2.5 systems..excluding injectors..

• To be honest not a huge gain, the throttle body and inlet arms are larger yes, but still the valves will limit the air flow. It will breath easier probably 1-2 bh gain. When i get back to work i have a KLZE and K8 throttle body i will try and measure them up to see if they are interchangable.

• thanks bud…

• AIR FLOW IMPROVEMENTS

You will get minimal gains from changing just the TB.

There are at least 2 different aftermarket inlet manifolds out there mainly with altered larger plenum chambers.

The Inlet manifolds should all be interchangable I would imagine, but it would put the VRIS points off, and you would have to keep k8 injectors.

There have been carb setups done on a KLZE that would also fit on a K8 but you would need a standalone ECU to run them.

If you have an OBD2 ECU (most post 1994 cars) you could perhaps put in bigger Cams. I don't know if the bigger ZE Cams would go in or not. OBD2 might be adaptable enough to increase fuelling.

Thermal spacers on the Inlet Manifold will help as heatsoak is quite a problem on MX-3's. They will keep the intake cooler.

A Good freeflowing air filter will help with a ram air setup which will also help keep intake cooler. HKS style Mushroom filters breathe better than cone filters but do not filter as well.

The front passenger foglight (not needed by law) can be removed to put your ram air pipes in.

A front facing bonnet scoop will force cool air into your engine compartment, put it hitting your Inlet manifold will also help keep air cool.

A rear facing bonnet vent will suck warm air out of your engine compartment keeping it cooler. You could also achieve this to some extent by raising the bonnet mounts at the back so it acts like a big vent. ( this is not strictly legal as it breaks the engines rubber fire seal, but lots of people do it.

Rubber or silicone air intake pipes Keep your air intake cooler than shiney metal ones, despite what the seller might claim about reflection.

Exhaust heat sheild wrap on your downpipes will help Keep your engine compartment ambient heat down.

Heat sheilds around any exhaust bits on show and around the filter and inlet tract will help.

If you have OBD2 and access to a good code scanner it should tell you the air intake temp ( it does on some cars) so you could measure, make all the changes and measure the difference.

Some people put cone filters right on the VAF and the VAF right on the TB, but its a good idea to keep the plastic resonator chamber as it aids mid range torque.

• if i remember correctly the k8 TB is 62 or 63mm in diameter with the DE one being only 68mm internal diameter, not a huge gain but one thing to note thats better about the DE TB is the fact that it doesnt have the horrible step down in size internally that is a fairly large restriction that the k8 one has. So flow would be improved for sure.

With regards to cams yes they would be a straight swap an if my memory serves me correctly the KFZE or KLZE cams are the only ones that are more aggressive enuff to provide a subtle power gain, altho not much.

-Ped

• @893402aa5a=pedro_mx3:

if i remember correctly the k8 TB is 62 or 63mm in diameter with the DE one being only 68mm internal diameter, not a huge gain but one thing to note thats better about the DE TB is the fact that it doesnt have the horrible step down in size internally that is a fairly large restriction that the k8 one has. So flow would be improved for sure.

With regards to cams yes they would be a straight swap an if my memory serves me correctly the KFZE or KLZE cams are the only ones that are more aggressive enuff to provide a subtle power gain, altho not much.

-Ped

DE ones are not 68mm, they are only about 62mm.

• Maybe Pedro meant outer diameter, which IIRC is 68mm.
    KLDE/ZE is about 60-62mm ID
    K8 is about 55mm ID

• @22985ab8fb=Marco:

Maybe Pedro meant outer diameter, which IIRC is 68mm.
    KLDE/ZE is about 60-62mm ID
    K8 is about 55mm ID

OK, no problem.

I've found that larger throttle bodies are good for top end, but kill low down torque.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB