Killed my gearbox- options ??!!

• :shock:
    Hi this is my first post. im on my second mx3. im not a modder but i got the impression you chaps here know your shit when it comes to the mx3. and i cant even get a hains manual on the thing.
    Basically i bought a cheap 1994 v6 in black with a KN fitted. its done 120k and it started popping outa 5th gear on the motorway then it got worse to the point i cant engage 5th. my garage says get a transmission place to sort it. im in bristol so any advice there would be good. also a got quotes on a jap imported gearbox that had 32k and a 6 month warantee for £150 so that sounded reasonable. THe main reason i thought id ask you lot is anyone ever put a 6 speed box in the v6 mx3?? as you all know this baby doesnt have a good motorway cruise box does it. and mpg is an issue now the pump bandits are having a field day. I dont know but was wondering if the xedos or mx6 had a compatible unit that could be easily installed that wouldnt completely mess up the drive but could give lower rpm at 90mph.

Help would be great

Chris

• '5th gear popout is common when the fluid level in the trans is very low. Check the trans for leaks first and if that's o.k, fill the trans to the right level.'

There are no off the shelf 6 speeds I'm afraid. However a few cars use the same tranny, but some have slightly taller final drive gear, dropping your RPM a few 100.

626/mx6 has the 4.11 final drive and the mx3 and ford probe are 4.39.

So you'll get a bit better effeciency with the 626/mx6. Generally it's cheaper to buy a scrap one than rebuild! That import gearbox sounds like a good deal.

• I would get a price for an MX6 g/box with the higher 5th ratio. If it's about £150 then i would get it.

If your not to worried about looks then when you next purchase tyres get ones with a larger profile, this will reduce rolling ratios and make it more fuel efficent.

:) good luck . . .

• cool thanks for the replies. just got back from transmission workshop in bristol and talked things over. he said as its 5th on this car you can access most of the elements without pulling it all apart to check out the cause. no charge to look. thinks import claims on milaged boxes arent to be trusted and it would be cheaper to repair it. I discuessed my ideal would be to get a more economical 5th gear he said it may be poss to fit just the set of cogs for 5th from the mx6 depending on the ratios of all the gears and some general ratio i think 'marco' said that this is 4.39 for mx3 and 4.11 for mx6 repsectively. he also said could change that ratio to economise the whole box but i said that would effect acceleration and as im not running tuned or chipped or NOZ then i dont wanna drop the 0-60 any. so thoughts anyone?

• Yea swapping just the 5th has been done, and will see a small improvement in mileage :) You'll find this on mx-3.com forums

And yep it by swapping just 5th you'll avoid losing acceleration. Then you'll want to throw away the crap attached to the tranny, the k8 engine, and put in a klze ;)

• lol ! yegh im trying to ignore the fact that some of you guys might have 400 plus under the right foot. ! At the mo im not able to spend that much on me motor. I mean i havent serviced the thing :cry: and thats way overdue i thrash it all the time and it stinks of burned fubber in the engine bay everytime i stop and get out. :cry: Maybe i should keep things like that too my self :)

• that was burned 'rubber'

• lol just kidding, my project mx3 doesn't even have the ZE dropped in yet, hopefully this weekend though! I think you should save for a turbo kit for your k8 engine ;) Time someone in the UK had k8 turbo :D

• @c341473aad=eggdaddy:

lol ! yegh im trying to ignore the fact that some of you guys might have 400 plus under the right foot. ! At the mo im not able to spend that much on me motor. I mean i havent serviced the thing :cry: and thats way overdue i thrash it all the time and it stinks of burned fubber in the engine bay everytime i stop and get out. :cry: Maybe i should keep things like that too my self :)

who has 400 plus?

that would scare the pants off me in a car this light

• @5402702477=eggdaddy:

who has 400 plus?

welly has but its not a mazda engine etc

• @78cd80344c=Marco:

lol just kidding, my project mx3 doesn't even have the ZE dropped in yet, hopefully this weekend though! I think you should save for a turbo kit for your k8 engine ;) Time someone in the UK had k8 turbo :D

Lets us know how ya get on, i am goona put mine in the end of June.

:wink:

• jt tuneings mx3 ze toped out at 495 bhp
    my project is useing his old turbo pipes ;)
    and my klze Millenia Xedos 9 enging in my mx3
    i cant wate 320 - 330 bhp hear i come

• kept that one quiet james! I thought mikee sold all that months and months ago :o Great stuff :D What ECU you managing with? Stock internals? tell me more!

• yeh the pipes have been lying around for a bit but had to get them at that price
    my Millenia ze is still sat in my Xedos 9 at work im takeing it out at some point soon hopefuly then it will be striped cleened up and rebuilt with all new seels porting the heads slightly thinking about some forged ally pistons as well but i have a ud pully ready for it will see waht ecu is in there it has the under hood obd1 conecter so its all good
    as for jts bits i have the exhaust manifolds witch are heat raped and the all important turob down pipe also heat raped and i have oil lines and 2 guages fule pressure with sender and turbo boost guage with some pipeing and his custuim made dizzy heat shiled and starter heat shiled and a rather fancy turbo cover

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB