CV Joint Failed

• i did the front 2 cv boots on mine
    aslon as youve got the right tools
    its a sinch :P

• dont get them from mazda, you can get them of ebay for about 35GBP if you can't get the big nut of the hub…do what i did and take an angle grinder to it 8) oh and a big hammer for getting it off the shaft

• i got mine off ebay few months ago. got two for £30. was very happy. and had it the next day :lol:

• @478d20d827=Unicorn:

if you can't get the big nut of the hub…do what i did and take an angle grinder to it 8)

or do what I did and get a 8 ft piece of scafolding and actually start to lift the car before the nuts crack off :P

• admin

Well it was easy to remove, since most of the bolts are new from the ZE swap, it only took about 15 mins from start to off! :)

However… its not the CV joint... although the boot had split, turns out the drivehaft's sprung clip had come loose or something and it has eaten away the end of the driveshaft :(

Anyway, getting a new shaft + cv on order today, £120 for the lot - not bad I suppose.

Should arrive tomorrow and have it fitted after work, then back on the road :D

Im currently driving my dads 1.6 Ford Puma :( lol what a power difference!

Jono

• admin

Had a bit of luck… found a good condition shaft on ebay for £20 :D

Might take a little longer but for the money who cares :)

Jono

• nice one. Did you reuse the circlip after engine change maybe?

• admin

@81b7eeaa8a=Marco:

nice one. Did you reuse the circlip after engine change maybe?

Nah, we didnt remove that side of the driveshaft… it looks like the clip just failed over time and resulted in it moving around which stripped the end of the shaft.

Jono

• oh yea? I'm at that stage where all I've left attached is the axles where the CV knuckles insert. So did you just pull out the passenger side axle and take out the engine with the half shaft intact? I've been crow barring them and they just don't wanna come out :( Leaving one in could be alot easier!

• admin

@1226f4b73f=Marco:

oh yea? I'm at that stage where all I've left attached is the axles where the CV knuckles insert. So did you just pull out the passenger side axle and take out the engine with the half shaft intact? I've been crow barring them and they just don't wanna come out :( Leaving one in could be alot easier!

Yeah they are quite hard to get out, but you need to give them some impact to pull them out…

Thats how the circlips work, they stay in unless subjected to some serious force!

Jono

• it stripped the end of the shaft? i changed the outer cv on my old 323 and fcuked the clip off and it seemed fine :?

as to how to get it out, on cars i've worked on i've took the suspension of the hub and pulled the hub hard a couple of times which worked everytime, this pulls the shaft out of the gearbox…not sure if it helps? tp put it back in its exactly the same, but you have to allign the splines, push the shaft in as far as it goes and turn it until it the splines place themselves in the hole, you know they have because it should be alot harder to turn, then pull the shaft out abit then force it back in.

and a note, the clips "respond" better to shock rather than gradual force

• admin

Yeah unicorn is right… i had forgot how we did mine when we did the ZE, we removed all suspension from the hub and also used it to pull out the driveshaft, however it came out alot easier this time!

Jono

• admin

Well the £20 ebay driveshaft arrived yesterday, in very good condition.

Fitted and all back together, car is running again :D

Jono

• good work! That was a surprisingly cheap fix :D

• Hi All,

Rather than starting a new thread, I might as well use this one…. basically I'm getting the classic "CV Joint Failure" noise when turning LEFT....which CV joint is this? Is it intuitive & the left joint?

Last time I had this problem (on a peugeot) you could only get driveshafts not seperate CV joints, so I just replaced both driveshafts. Given that MX3s have seperate joints, I'd rather just get the joint done if possible. As FordProbeStore do the part cheaply, I'll probably buy it from them and ask my Mechanic to fit.

• you should be able to hear which side is making the noise really. Having a look at the boots might be an easy giveaway.

• I had a failed boot on the right hand side a while back, got it replaced…but I'm wondering if someone did get in there & the garage didn't clean the joint and repack with grease properly, so its continued to wear.

Confusingly, I did goto a local car park late last night (oooh matron!) and put it on full lock, left and right, and drove round in circles (forward and reverse)...and promptly they made no noise whatsoever!! Somewhat confusing.

However I was getting a clear clunking noise from the right side when going alternately forwards/backwards in a straight line, to check for inner CV Joint wear, so I get the feeling one of the inner driveshafts has gone (the right one from where the noise is).

Its a conumdrum, but I may well change the right hand drive shaft and see if the clunking & the clicking go away!!

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB