Help please!

• Hi all, I am new to the site and found you after an issue with my son's 1991 MX-3 with the SOHC engine.

His car has developed an idling issue (occasionally erratic) and has cut out and refused to start on a couple of occasions after the erratic idling.

The AA guy diagnosed it as a loose plug going in to what I assume is the idle control valve being lose. Closer inspection showed that it had been put in place with silicone sealant. I am guessing this was done after it either come loose in the past, or the plug was damaged after it was taken off for cleaning at some stage.

If anyone can answer either of the following 2 questions I would be indebted:

1). Where am I likely to be able to get a new plug without having to replace the entire engine harness (the only remedy advised by the mazda dealer)?

2). Is the likely route cause the idle control valve or throttle body?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated so I can keep a fine old 40,000 miler on the road.

Thanks in advance

• Hi and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you try Mazdaman, who you will find on ebay, for the plug which he may have and you will have to splice onto your loom. As to the route cause it could be either of your suggestions as well as other possibilities but I would clean the throttle bodyfirst, then check and maybe replace the control valve but make sure you have done the basic checks og the ignition circuit first including ht leads {if it cuts right out the coil lead is prime suspect) and the spark plugs. Good luck, cheers

• @mickthemaverick said in Help please!:

ld be either of your suggestions as well as other possibilities but I would clean the throttle bodyfirst, then check and maybe replace the control valve but make sure you have done the basic checks og the ignition circuit first including ht leads {if it cuts right out the coil lead is prime suspect)

Thanks very much for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

• @1991-sohc-auto

Hello,

As well as the advice given i would also check the pipe between the MAF and the throttle body as the symptoms you are describing could be a split in the plastic induction pipe between the air flow meter and the throttle body.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB